IFish Fishing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I scanned the link and couldn't make sense of it. Seemed like a lot of jargon. I was simply asking what you were referring to with your comment about, "..massive subsidies that keep market prices for gas and energy artificially low relative to true costs." I hear that comment quite often but have never had anyone list them. Since you used the phrase, I assume you know what they are. If you don't want to explain your comment, no problem. Just say so.
Say so what? Call it a corporate freebie instead of a subsidy. Who cares. It is a freebie. Giveaway. Most people don’t know what an externality is and trying to diminish it as “jargon” doesn’t change the facts of the matter. Artificially cheap and we’re all paying for it

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
While these sorts of debates swirl around in the US, the rest of the world has moved on. Wind and solar are by far the cheapest power sources now, much cheaper than gas or coal power. Hence almost all new power plants, worldwide, are wind or solar.
And your source for that would be?

My reading is that China is still big on coal.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts

·
Vendor
9,825 Posts
And your source for that would be?

My reading is that China is still big on coal.
Here are a few sources. The first is an article in the UK Guardian newspaper titled "Celebrating 30 years of Offshore Wind Generation. This illustrates my point that the US is way behind. Offshore wind has been around for 30 years in Europe, and the US has zero installed.

Here's a piece in The Independent that shows the countries that generate the largest percentage of their power with wind. The US doesn't even maket the top 15. Denmark is first, then a bunch of countries in western Europe.

Regarding China, here's a source that says China has by far the most wind power in terms of total capacity. China has twice as much wind power as the US.

And finally a piece citing the International Renewable Energy Agency report that renewables accounted for 81% of global power capacity additions in 2021

My point is that business leaders in the rest of the world long ago decided to invest in wind and solar because that's how they could make the most money. That's true in all sorts of governments ranging from Europe to China to India and Latin America. It's not about subsidies, it's about profit.

Speculation on what offshore wind "might be like" is strictly a US oddity. In Europe they've already been doing it for 30 years.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Did anyone see what is being proposed off our southern coast? Good bye to the tuna ground in Southern Oregon. Public comment is open,
hmmm we can push our Green Ideology, and get save the fish.. great plan guys, lets do it...
Wait, first we have a gorge, well not quite the gorge but Eastern Oregon pushing up Windmills like Dandelions in my neighbors yard, now they want them all over the southern coast line. When will it stop?

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
hmmm we can push our Green Ideology, and get save the fish.. great plan guys, lets do it...
Wait, first we have a gorge, well not quite the gorge but Eastern Oregon pushing up Windmills like Dandelions in my neighbors yard, now they want them all over the southern coast line. When will it stop?
When you unplug your EV and reduce demand?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nobody has ever been killed by Nuke "disasters", said the troll, about 2 bottles of Vodka into a typical evening.

This lie is easily disproven. 3 died right here in Arco Idaho in the Inel test facility at a place that is now a fenced mile square parking lot, SL1. About 30 died of extreme radiation exposure at Chernobyl. They had to invent a new level of nuclear disaster (level seven) because of Chernobyl. The russian Navy has been killing submarine sailors for years with radiation.

There are many more well documented disasters and I won't bother listing them because google does it for free. Let me know when you figure out how to fry up that nuclear waste and make it taste like catfish. Emmm kay?

Don't feed the trolls.
I like the 'far out ' idea of launching rocket loads of nuclear waste into the sun. What could go wrong!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a legal paper discussing some aspects of restricting access around offshore wind turbines, primarily the Block Island development. See https://docs.rwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1100&context=law_ma_seagrant

And since people where discussing nuclear power I'll throw in a link to NuScale Power, which is designing modular nuclear plants right here in Corvallis. See NuScale Power | SMR Nuclear Technology
I got to tour their control room training facility and listen to their pitch. It was very interesting.

·
Registered
Salty fishing all the way.
184 Posts
And you forgot to mention...
9--The burning of fossil fuels whish releases vast amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere, creating extreme weather events (flooding, drought, melting of polar ice, etc.) which in turn creates billions of dollars of damage = OK
10--Not burning fossil fuels by generating renewable energy (which also creates jobs) = Bad
That whole lis was pretty disingenuous and virtue signaling.

Why do you suppose the Sierra club got behind all the natural gas plants in the 90’s and early 20’s. They are extremely efficient and don’t have near the carbon footprint and cost to maintain that wind and solar does. Read real reports and you find the biggest problem with carbon footprint is everyone vehicles and international polluters. Get China and India on board not kill our country to get that last tiny bit of carbon out of what we produce. Buy American, support not having massive ships that burn extremely crude fuel ship all items across the globe.
As someone who has worked in both wind energy and natural gas plants, there are lots of smoke and mirrors around green energy. I believe wind and solar have a place but most assuredly they are not the only answer or even close to the final answer.

Carbon is far less of the problem, last I checked the world has its own means of reclaiming carbon. Look up plastics in the ocean, or the problem with batteries when they are no good any more. How about all the mining to get batteries.

Everything has a cost! There are no free rides in our world of convenience and comfort. As for me I really don’t care about off shore wind but they don’t own the ocean and a one mile radius to not fish within is crazy. They need to be self sustaining as far as tax incentives and people need to wake up that green energy is not near as green and they lead on, and definitely not the sole answer.

As far as the nuclear part of the list, give me a break. Smart enegineering and smart placement of plants is key. Lots of new tech between when those nuclear plants were built till now. To equate that every nuclear plant is Fukushima or Chernoble is fear mongering at best.

Try doing real research and read real studies instead of being told what to think about these issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely the windmills in Northern California would be anchored. I was member of Piledrivers Union #34 for 30yrs and talked to agent and he said they need to put in dock facilities and grid upgrade, so I'd guess won't actually kickoff for several years. Considering the anchor chains there would be some restrictions on trolling closeby?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I stand corrected. In post #56 I misstated that "No one has been killed in a Nuclear energy production disaster". Should have been more specific: "No one has ever been killed in a Nuclear energy production disaster in the USA". But thanks for reinforcing the extraordinary safety record of Nuclear energy production globally.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wonder how many people here actually work in an energy field. Selling solar door to door doesn’t count.
The solution to energy is to use less of it. If the regulations coming our way don’t make you, either the rising costs or WW3 will make you

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder how many people here actually work in an energy field. Selling solar door to door doesn’t count.
The solution to energy is to use less of it. If the regulations coming our way don’t make you, either the rising costs or WW3 will make you
I work in the utility industry and have found scanning these responses as hmm, not sure what to say.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
"On a mild Sunday afternoon, California set a historic milestone in the quest for clean energy. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and on May 8th, the state produced enough renewable electricity to meet 103% of consumer demand. "

Now let's see it go for more than a couple hours on a mild weather day when demand is low. The article said they were building battery banks for storage so they can shut down their fossil fuel plants when the sun goes down. I'd suggest ESS Tech for that. Give the share price a boost.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts