IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see what is being proposed off our southern coast? Good bye to the tuna ground in Southern Oregon. Public comment is open, I left my opinion. Search "BOEM-2022-0009" on the federal erulemaking portal to leave a comment.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did anyone see what is being proposed off our southern coast? Good bye to the tuna ground in Southern Oregon. Public comment is open, I left my opinion. Search "BOEM-2022-0009" on the federal erulemaking portal to leave a comment.

These units will be on a structure of some sort. Structure holds bait, bait attracts fish

·
Registered
23 Posts
These units will be on a structure of some sort. Structure holds bait, bait attracts fish
Yes but ones they are proposing in Wa cannot boat within a 1 mile of them as they are anchored to bottom with cables then in 25 years they will be trash and left out there

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not again!! This is tearfully hilarious. Please post the data re: offshore wind turbines. Cost per KwH; carbon footprint to produce, transport, install, and maintain. Rules not to fish w/in 1 mile are possibly to prevent people from counting the carcasses of dead seabirds. These abominations, wind turbines, blight our landscape and instill a false sense of solving impact of fossil fuel use. A giant virtue signal. Again; Any serious discussion of energy policy/production which omits Nuclear Power Plant expansion at it's core is not a mature, adult discussion at all.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I think I understand.
1--Offshore oil platforms= Good
2--Offshore wind platforms=Bad
3--Major oil spills in ocean=OK
4--Wind Turbines in ocean=Bad
5--Fukushima nuclear disaster=OK
6--Wind Turbines=Bad
7-- Oil spills killing fish, birds, mammals=OK
8--Wind Turbines killing birds=End of World as we know it.

I think I am beginning to understand, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but ones they are proposing in Wa cannot boat within a 1 mile of them as they are anchored to bottom with cables then in 25 years they will be trash and left out there
That is the problem, they have 1800 Sq miles over the two proposed areas, those areas cover the whole tuna fishing grounds out of the southern ports. I am sure they will have large no travel zones around them, so hope everyone is ready to dodge wind turbines while trolling.
I think I understand.
6--Wind Turbines=Bad

Never once said any of that about drilling. We have plenty of land to drill on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think I understand.
6--Wind Turbines=Bad

And you forgot to mention...
9--The burning of fossil fuels whish releases vast amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere, creating extreme weather events (flooding, drought, melting of polar ice, etc.) which in turn creates billions of dollars of damage = OK
10--Not burning fossil fuels by generating renewable energy (which also creates jobs) = Bad

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
There is also a proposal for N. Ca. coastline. There is always hidden details regarding boating and fishing. depending where it is located in relation to harbors is something to investigate before offering any support. You can be sure there will be no access any where around them, not even to pass thru heading to your grounds,,,gregg

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And you forgot to mention...
9--The burning of fossil fuels whish releases vast amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere, creating extreme weather events (flooding, drought, melting of polar ice, etc.) which in turn creates billions of dollars of damage = OK
10--Not burning fossil fuels by generating renewable energy (which also creates jobs) = Bad
Please post a picture of your row boat, better not be a motor hanging on the back, also your electric truck,,,gregg

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,172 Posts
Nuclear power is a great idea that relies heavily on technology and unflinching attention to details. The disaster level event is rare as they say but the consequences of such an event are unimaginable. Speaking as a operator with hands on experience who is well versed in the facts and practical aspects of running a nuke plant ... it's a great idea right up to the moment when site power is lost. From there it is a slide downhill to roofs coming off of buildings, widespread contamination, mass evacuations and land that is lost for centuries.

This scenario has played out several times in recent history. I will take a few dead birds over a level seven nuclear incident any day.

Maybe it is time for us to change our wasteful way of doing things.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think that any opposition to it, whether this plan makes sense economically or whether it will negatively affect certain marginal fisheries, will be overpowered by the 'green' movement. And, of course, alot of people will make alot of money off it via our forced tax donations.
The one thing I can be certain of is that many of us will not obey the distancing rules for those massive fish attracting devices, If indeed it happens at all.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I have the solution to power generation. This morning news sources is reporting satellites have detected locations of excess methane gas release and it happens to be at feed lots. Every cow is releasing 1.5 gallons of methane gas per hour when the burp, no kidding that was the report. Now that would be a job, collector of cow burps what a job description. Well back to the burps, just locate a pump and pipe this gas to a storage facility that would burn the methane in a gas turbine hooked to a gen set. We get steaks and power while protecting our environment.

Personally common sense says a salt air environment is going to be a problem for wind turbines in the ocean setting. Anyone hear of something called corrosion. And why if its true would they restrict fishing around the turbines are they afraid that we might hook an anchor cable with our fishing line and pull up one of their anchors. I do like the idea of those wave float systems that each wave action rocks a float that pumps and circulates hydraulic oil to a gen set.

And yes we need more nuclear plants if we start building today maybe we might have enough power to fuel our transportation needs. But the way we are going now we will break this country's economy by high fuel costs in the attempt to encourage EVs. Somehow the cart got ahead of the horse in the last year or two, you don't build the roof until you have the foundation and wall in place.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My main concern, is the possible impact on migrating species. Their's so much we don't know about how fish and sea mammal navigate. What kind of magnetic interface will be created by theses floating power plants.
In the video, they create a magnetic cage that can change the magnetic field and the Robin always reacts in kind.

How do Fish and sea mammals truly navigate? Do we know? What type of magnetic interference will be created with square miles of theses floating power plants? What type of an impact, will it create on the navigational ability of these species? Do we know? Do we even have a clue? Will the transmission lines also create magnetic interference? Running all the way to shore....

Dead Sea birds, no big deal, it's not like they are Eagles, Hawks or bats

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,172 Posts
Wind generation technology is deployed on a large scale in the North Sea and Baltic Sea near Denmark since the late '70's. Maybe it's a coincidence but wind turbines are produced in Denmark (Vestas).

It continues to amaze me that there is no discussion about reducing the consumption of power. Only discussions about making more.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have the solution to power generation. This morning news sources is reporting satellites have detected locations of excess methane gas release and it happens to be at feed lots. Every cow is releasing 1.5 gallons of methane gas per hour when the burp, no kidding that was the report.
Thats why there's a large push to make beef too expensive for the "subjects" to afford. There's a reason why a billionaire is buy up vast amounts of farmland........... And pushing a vegetarian/vegan diet.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wind generation technology is deployed on a large scale in the North Sea and Baltic Sea near Denmark since the late '70's. Maybe it's a coincidence but wind turbines are produced in Denmark (Vestas).

It continues to amaze me that there is no discussion about reducing the consumption of power. Only discussions about making more.
Can't force everyone into an EV if we try to cut energy usage. But then again they are probably not that smart to think of that.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts