IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too have a fishing memory like that of my dad.

Welcome to the club - again.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Wow, great story

Welcome back to Ifish :cheers:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Great story, Welcome...back.

Some of my best memories of bein' a kid (there are those who say I'll never grow up, my x-wife for one) are fishing with a bobber & worm on Rock creek behind the house :grin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all, please know that I am not as new to Ifish as stated in my profile. I had an old moniker that was quite lame and I lost the login and password, but I didn’t post that often so I wasn’t really that concerned, I just sat in the background and read all of this wonderful information every day to learn as much as possible. But as customary I can give you all a new story.
Along time ago… :smile:
I mean once upon a time… :tongue:
Well, the fishing trip that best sticks in my mind is…
I was eight years old, my parents, sister and I were camping at Devils Lake Campground in Lincoln City. My Dad who was originally an offshore sailor on Lake Michigan had a 12 foot inflatable Zodiac style orange boat for the family, I mean this thing is glow in the dark, bright as can be orange. My dad, sister and I went out on the lake to fish for trout or what ever was out there. Now keep in mind the fishing gene had skipped my dad from my Grandfather to me. Granddad was a trophy bass fisherman in Michigan who never got the skunk. My dad however almost never caught a fish so learning from him was not the best choice. But I was eight years old and wanted to be just like dad, do what he did, and go where he went. So fishing it was for my first time on Devils Lake.
We went off only a hundred yards from the dock and found a deep hole in the weed-covered bottom. Dad pulled out the container of worms and handed one to me and said, “Just stick it on the hook, put a bobber on the line and toss it out there.” So in typical eight year old fashion the worm fell off the hook, the bobber didn’t get hooked on right, and on my first cast ever, sent worm flying one direction bobber the other, and a fist full of line in my lap.
Luckily Dad had better luck with the worm and bobber than I did and with a few swift cuts with his trusty pocket knife I was back to fishing. He spent the next two hours baiting hooks and helping us reel fish in. By the end of the trip we (my sister and I) landed nine fish, and my Dad’s count was one little bullhead. But the look on his face that day is stuck in my mind, he was so proud that I, his son, had had the best day of my life fishing with him.
That day will be stuck in my mind forever! Hopefully if I can find the right woman (second times a charm right?) and have kids of my own, I will be able to take my kids fishing for a memory of a lifetime…
I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did reliving it.
Have a great day.
Brian.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m sure he is, he has taken the week off work to go surfing :shrug: of all things. I think I learned to obsess about my hobbies from him.
B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts