IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 984 Posts

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The lower Columbia River is 39.4F. I wanted to run the boat and hang off a wingdam. The sun was out. It’s 68 in the cabin without the heater lit. Some swell earlier, calmer now.

K-14s w/Albacore

Water is clear green

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve and I were just talking about when to put the boat back in the water. :). Looks like it’s close to that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Leo went for his first boat ride today. He was great, relaxed and had fun. He even held his bladder/bowels quite well with 3 breaks to the beach. He experienced sand for the first time.

We started on a wingdam fishing wrapped plugs shallow.

Low tide was @ 8:58 am, current faltered about 40 min later.

Marked very few possible fish, no bites.

Made a few passes by mouth of Kalama and then down by the Cowlitz trolling a sardine wrapped K-15 without flasher, and then a 360 & spinfish filled with tuna. Lewis and Clark bridge in distance.

Despite several sea lions in the area, I saw no smelt sign all day.

The Stellar King of Coffin Rock

CW

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Great post ! That little pooch is pretty darn cute….. I love seeing that water turn to glass like that. I’m going to go give the Willamette a shot today and am hoping it will be dead calm like that…. Kirk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can’t beat a good golden retriever. Hope you get many memories with him. I’m still debating on fishing this year. Unless the river jumps up 4-5 feet I’ll pass on springer season while I heal up from neck surgery. Hopefully fishing is better in the summer.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You’ll probably see a rotation of dogs when I’m fishing, my wife likes one at home with her too. But yes “Blacky & Blondie” will undoubtedly continue to disrupt and distract from what should be a fishing report thread.

I’m not fishing today.

The Columbia is 2 1/2 -3 ft below the tops of the wingdams of the lower river. They are easy to see in these conditions and it’s a good time to start learning your targeted stretch and shake down your gear the before rains return, and the river rises and clouds these many walls of death, pilings and new winter deadheads with just a few inches of camouflage.

I do a lot of night boating. The safest zone to operate in is outside the wingdams to the edge of the shipping channel. Depending on wind, chop and woody debris, it’s nice to know both sides of the river well enough to minimize risk, maximize speed & comfort.

FYI the nasty snag/deadhead downstream of Goble, OR about 1/4 mile is still there, jutting dangerously just out of the water, pointed downstream. This is way out from shore in 20-30 ft of water.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Leo went for his first boat ride today. He was great, relaxed and had fun. He even held his bladder/bowels quite well with 3 breaks to the beach. He experienced sand for the first time.

We started on a wingdam fishing wrapped plugs shallow.

Low tide was @ 8:58 am, current faltered about 40 min later.

Marked very few possible fish, no bites.

Made a few passes by mouth of Kalama and then down by the Cowlitz trolling a sardine wrapped K-15 without flasher, and then a 360 & spinfish filled with tuna. Lewis and Clark bridge in distance.

Despite several sea lions in the area, I saw no smelt sign all day.

The Stellar King of Coffin Rock

CW
Is there no closure this year,in front,up and down from cowlitz?

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,937 Posts
Nope.

And the projected end date ?????

Open through April 6th.

When I queried them about only getting 2 more days than last year, the gist of the answer was more fish means a higher catch rate and each additional day of April eats up a bigger wedge of those 3,913 mortalities. 57,000 angler trips to handle 6,600 fish. They modeled looking at 2018 where run composition/conditions were somewhat similar to this year.

There is no Cowlitz mouth boat angling exclusion bubble this year; the Cowlitz, Kalama and Lewis projected to meet escapement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bonjoevi2000

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Actually hasn't been announced yet. If there is a closure, it most likely wouldn't start until Mar 1st. With the projected run, I doubt it will be closed this year.

Reactions: Roady

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually hasn't been announced yet.
It was to the Advisory Committee on 2/8/22. With the Cowlitz, Kalama & Lewis projected to meet escapement, there will be no boat angling closure bubble at the mouth of the Cowlitz this year.

1 - 20 of 984 Posts