IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
We went to Sunset Beach last night but apparently got there late. Two hours before low tide but the people that got limits seemed to all be leaving when we showed up. I got 10 but it was tough digging. Swell is supposed to go to 11 feet by afternoon. Is that a waste of time with the tide today?

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
The easy part is over, clams are blanched. Time to dump the shells in the garden and get to cleaning.
Do you grind them up or just smash them a bit before you put them in the garden?

Reactions: fop

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Do you grind them up or just smash them a bit before you put them in the garden?
I put them around the edge making a pathway with all the clams and oyster shells. They break down over time and some get ground up by the rototiller each spring. It does add valuable calcium and nutrients to the soil but also makes a non muddy path around the garden. Crab shells, fireplace ash, coffee grounds etc all get thrown in the middle all winter to get tilled in the spring.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
We went to Sunset Beach last night but apparently got there late. Two hours before low tide but the people that got limits seemed to all be leaving when we showed up. I got 10 but it was tough digging. Swell is supposed to go to 11 feet by afternoon. Is that a waste of time with the tide today?
Sorry, but I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one that struggled last night. We got to Seaside about an hour before low; not many shows in the wet stuff; dug a lot of empty holes; found some small shows farther from the water; finally started getting a few once we figured out how stinking deep the clams were (clam gun buried to the t-handle). I bet many of the holes we abandoned had clams about 8” below where we stopped digging, but the holes down by the water would collapse / backfill before we could get that deep. We finished in the dark with 9 clams each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
Saturday my wife and I got our limit but had to work at it. It was our first trip in a while.. The commercial guys seemed to struggle as they left the water for the beach. The shows were tough to see for sure.
The clams were nice the drive was not.. lots of packed snow and ice going over and back in the usual areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sorry, but I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one that struggled last night. We got to Seaside about an hour before low; not many shows in the wet stuff; dug a lot of empty holes; found some small shows farther from the water; finally started getting a few once we figured out how stinking deep the clams were (clam gun buried to the t-handle). I bet many of the holes we abandoned had clams about 8” below where we stopped digging, but the holes down by the water would collapse / backfill before we could get that deep. We finished in the dark with 9 clams each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s odd. On Saturday, We went clamming at sunset and got there at 3:30 and got 7 limits using 4 guns by 430 ish I think. Shows were easy and plentiful it seemed. Didn’t go too far from the deadline and the surf was calm and no winds to speak of. Only difficult part was the drive there crossing hwy 26

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
longbeach was open and busy. People still coming in an hour after low. Even saw a lantern when we were leaving
Got there at 3:30 and groups were already back at their rigs with limits. Fished for an hour after claiming, not a sniff

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
Team GenieAye/OverKill/fop/eyeFISH/ButterCup got together on a productive patch of sand after the tsumani scare today.

Definitely a pound’em up affair with mild to moderate surges and lotsa action. I got mine in 18 minutes. fop got his a little quicker as I jumped the gun on him by a coupla minutes, and he still finished before me.

I stuck around to mentor a larger younger crew to limits around and hung out to enjoy a beachside campfire hot dogs and a drink.

Great inaugural adventure for 2022.

Water Sky Cargo pants Cloud Outdoor recreation

Water Vertebrate Natural environment Cloud Sky

Water Trousers Smile Glove Cargo pants

Vertebrate Vehicle Travel Hat Motor vehicle

Food Blue Ingredient Recipe Animal product

·
Registered
More of a troller but not a troll !
399 Posts
Windy with very foamy dirty water at Long Beach! I had to move my truck out of the garage tonight due to the smell. Clams were there mostly 5”. Lots of officers out there just before dark. Some fairly large sneaker waves came in from my 3:40 start until done at 4:30.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Team GenieAye/OverKill/fop/eyeFISH/ButterCup got together on a productive patch of sand after the tsumani scare today.

Definitely a pound’em up affair with mild to moderate surges and lotsa action. I got mine in 18 minutes. fop got his a little quicker as I jumped the gun on him by a coupla minutes, and he still finished before me.

I stuck around to mentor a larger younger crew to limits around and hung out to enjoy a beachside campfire hot dogs and a drink.

Great inaugural adventure for 2022.

View attachment 971652
View attachment 971653
View attachment 971656
View attachment 971657
View attachment 971663

Man, I sure hope that ISN'T you're finished product on those CLAMS. The periostracum you see ALL over those clams comes off VERY easily when clam is soaked in hot tap water. Unless you prefer slime all over ya clams, which WOULDN'T surprise me one bit with you dockie

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had to work a little last night, lots of surge, a few big waves pushing you around, having to dig in water most of the time, but still waked off with my limit before it got dark, the fog came in a made it interesting finding the rig but all in all a good night

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Man, I sure hope that ISN'T you're finished product on those CLAMS. The periostracum you see ALL over those clams comes off VERY easily when clam is soaked in hot tap water. Unless you prefer slime all over ya clams, which WOULDN'T surprise me one bit with you dockie
Why the hate? I think we can all conclude eyefish seems to know his way around a clam or two, and produces some excellent culinary feasts. If his way is not for you, great. No need to try and pee on anyone else's parade.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Golly Ward...You were a little hard on the Beaver, don't ya think??

Pauli

1 - 20 of 39 Posts