IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
421 - 440 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
can you dig LB and the clatsop beach on the same day?

went last night and hit Longbeach 2 hrs before low tide and it was was easy limits.
Yes....really surprised there weren't more people out on the daylight digs Tue, Wed evening here in OP.
It's as good as it gets recently.
You can dig in both states the same day. The rub is that you are only allowed one daily bag limit in the harvest area, so technically if you drive on the beach with your LB limit which is 20 clams compared to Clatsops 15 clams you are technically in violation.

Clam

Reactions: garyk and MattPark

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You can dig in both states the same day. The rub is that you are only allowed one daily bag limit in the harvest area, so technically if you drive on the beach with your LB limit which is 20 clams compared to Clatsops 15 clams you are technically in violation.

Clam
That was my concern, have two limits in the rig

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Clam
Not with 2 validated shellfish lic's. Oregon lic. and a Washington lic. Phone pics w/ coords and timestamp to put the final nail in the coffin if Mr policeman wants to take it that far. In which he should, this is why.
What keeps someone from oregon buying a cheapo 3day Washington Lic, and staying in clatsop Beach the whole low tide dig saving the 2hr round trip drive. Hopping around a mile down the beach and bringing home 35 clams? Have known a few to do this.
A Washingtonian trying to reverse that scenario up on long Beach would be arrested for lying on the spot lol.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Not with 2 validated shellfish lic's. Oregon lic. and a Washington lic. Phone pics w/ coords and timestamp to put the final nail in the coffin if Mr policeman wants to take it that far. In which he should, this is why.
What keeps someone from oregon buying a cheapo 3day Washington Lic, and staying in clatsop Beach the whole low tide dig saving the 2hr round trip drive. Hopping around a mile down the beach and bringing home 35 clams? Have known a few to do this.
A Washingtonian trying to reverse that scenario up on long Beach would be arrested for lying on the spot lol.
According to the ODFW shellfish regulations, " may not possess more than one limit of clams while in the clam digging area" Probably a good one to get state police to provide an opinion on.

Clam

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Two points. With shellfish two daily limits in possession is legal. It doesn't say from where. Also, I stop and buy extra clams at Bell Bouy before clamming . Never been checked doing that, but the onus is on OSP to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I thought I understood daily bag limits... appears i do not.

Does "2 daily limits in possession" mean two different species of clams? If not, why isn't the daily bag limit simply two times bigger?

Confused.

-p

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
AHA!!!!!!! Got it. Thanks,

Would day entail the 24 hr traditional day, e.g. you could clam before and right after midnight? Or after a 24 period of catching the first limit.
Yes. Happens here and Alaska. I've heard of people going crabbing after dinner in Oregon bays. Pull me for a limit at 11pm, rebait and pull another limit at midnight.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Man, I don't how they could pull that double tag buisness off. My back was calling it quits after 10 clams.
It was pretty tough digging 2 hrs before low at clatsop last night. 8-9ft swell didn't help matters either. Won't be showing up early anymore with swell numbers like that.

Didn't see any consistent shows until roughly 50 min before low. It was game on after that. My first 3 took an hour, the last 12 took 15 minutes. It was like someone flipped a switch. 85% harvest were LBP size clams, which was a plus

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
Another round of easy limits… 60 clams last night for Team Smartie... from what has been a predictably reliable patch of sand all month. Calm surf, no wind, and lotsa shows high and dry. Gorgeous FULL moon illuminated the drive home.

Went crabbing in the CR estuary today so taking tonight off for clamming.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Rather than drive all over creation trying to pull a limit of clams in each state, if you really, really need more than 15 or 20 clams grab a couple young kids and take them clamming. You can show them how and at the end, I am pretty sure they will hand you their clams and run off.

I always have the opposite problem, I want to go clamming and play on the beach, but I have a hard time doing it when I have piles of clams in the freezer.

I have some friends that are super crazy to try to get a limit of bay clams and a limit of razors on the same tide. I love both, but I always think "why on earth would I want to do that? Let's come back tomorrow."

We pulled easy limits at Seaside saturday night, and got treated to a sunset that went from about 3pm to 6pm and was spectacular.
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Wheel Outdoor recreation

421 - 440 of 467 Posts