IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
401 - 420 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
We made it out to the beach again tonight after rain and hail in town today. Weather was great, no rain
and a little wind. Never had to pound for a show. They were leaving the donuts or volcanos all over the place.

Easy limits for the 5 of us.
View attachment 966984
fop
How we ever managed to escape the rain is simply INCREDIBLE. It rained pretty much the entire day BEFORE we drove out to the beach.

As fop said, NO pounding was required tonight on our chosen patch of sand. Just had to choose which of the GIANT donuts you wanted and pay careful attention to tube centration and angle, but more importantly DIRECTION. With it being pitch black out there, and the water so far away, it was easy to get disoriented and inadvertently drive your tube the WRONG direction. With the clams ALL laying so deep, anything short of perfect alignment was bound to crack a shell along the way. Probably had ~10 broken ones out of the 80 that I shucked. The vast majority of the clams were large or JUMBO.

Great night with great folks for sure!

40 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
The following digs were approved, along with the low tides and beaches:

• Nov. 16, Tuesday, 4:50 P.M.; 0.5 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
  • Nov. 17, Wednesday, 5:28 P.M.; 0.1 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
  • Nov. 18, Thursday, 6:03 P.M.; -0.2 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
  • Nov. 19, Friday, 6:37 P.M.; -0.3 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
  • Nov. 20, Saturday, 7:10 P.M.; -0.3 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
  • Nov. 21, Sunday, 7:44 P.M.; -0.2 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
  • Nov. 22, Monday, 8:21 P.M.; 0.0 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
  • Nov. 23, Tuesday, 9:00 PM +0.2 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
  • Nov. 24, Wednesday, 9:43 P.M.; +0.5 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
fop

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
I can call that a double fop.. a double dose of ibuprofen that is haha. Had to crack it as being a 6ft 6in frame myself, those mornings after a clam dig can be brutal for the big man
Ya, I can't dig anymore, just too many injuries and bad everything else. Dang-it. I'm 6'4" or used to be
when I was younger.

fop

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6'10" and had Murffs build me an extra tall claminator.
I was looking at the Muff's claminator in the store today, just wondering whether it worth the $199 because of the vent tube/valve. It seems to be well constructed, but I am unable to figure out how a tube/valve build outside of the clam chamber can help ease the effort in pulling out the sand. In fact I can imagine, when you push the clam gun down into the sand, the valve close, that actually give extra resistance, and you need to push harder. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I was looking at the Muff's claminator in the store today, just wondering whether it worth the $199 because of the vent tube/valve. It seems to be well constructed, but I am unable to figure out how a tube/valve build outside of the clam chamber can help ease the effort in pulling out the sand. In fact I can imagine, when you push the clam gun down into the sand, the valve close, that actually give extra resistance, and you need to push harder. Am I missing something?
The vent tube allows air to the base of the clam gun to release the vacuum created by pulling the sand/clam out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yes. It has two vents. The side tube vents on the pull and if you look on the underside of the handle there's another. When you push your finger is off of the handle vent. When you pull you cover that rubber O ring with your finger and then remove to release the sand.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hitting a Clatsop beach Saturday.
Was wishing it was a tad earlier and would have made the round trip to LB too. :(
Couve to Tilly to Brighton to Clatsop to Couve may be enough for one day I suppose.
Heard there are so many clams out there, like stars in the night sky.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I have an aluminum clam gun which I used on two digs. I was pretty sore after the 2nd dig. Bought a claminator and it is worlds apart for the better. Goes in the sand easier and pulls out way easier than the aluminum gun. I was kind of put off by the price but it was well worth it. Bobs has em for 180 and if you're a vet, you get a 10% discount, or a senior over 55, you get 10% off on Mondays. Makes it a little less painful on the wallet.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
can you dig LB and the clatsop beach on the same day?

went last night and hit Longbeach 2 hrs before low tide and it was was easy limits.

401 - 420 of 467 Posts