IFish Fishing Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's official! Razor clam testing moved back to the week of June 7. Opening the 12th of June if number is below 20. Thanks to all who called the Oregon Dept of Agriculture.
Just curious, why would they wait until the 12th to open it if they test the 7th? Takes that long to get results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Just curious, why would they wait until the 12th to open it if they test the 7th? Takes that long to get results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Week of the 7th means June 7-11. They will probably dig test clams on June 9th, send them to the testing lab, and get results on Friday, after the morning tide on June 11th. We probably won't know if it will open Saturday, the 12th until Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Can I ask a really crazy question. If the Domic acid is so bad, and causes neurological abnormalities. Why do the seagulls not get effected when they eat the clams? Different metabolic rates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
People don't either. We gotta eat a whole lot of tainted clams before symptoms appear so anything serious is completely avoidable. Regulations are for the really stupid people, protecting them from themselves, not the toxin.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Can I ask a really crazy question. If the Domic acid is so bad, and causes neurological abnormalities. Why do the seagulls not get effected when they eat the clams? Different metabolic rates?

Oh seagulls are effected. Why else do you think they’re swarming you and dropping white bombs from the sky. Lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
When does ODFW normally release domoic test results?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
We should see the results of this weeks testing on Friday.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Seems like I read somewhere that it does effect them, and that the seagulls in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie, The Birds, were reacting to biotoxins. Don’t know if it’s true and I’m too tired to fact check it right now.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
We spent the week up at ocean city. There were shows all over the place!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Drum roll please.....tomorrow is the test result right?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If it opens for this wknd, I’m wondering how difficult it will be to find shows given the rain that’s predicted for the coast this wknd

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it opens for this wknd, I’m wondering how difficult it will be to find shows given the rain that’s predicted for the coast this wknd
The rain can make it a little more challenging. However, the rain also keeps the crowds down some.
What's of more concern will be high surf, which can drive the clams deeper. Combined seas of greater than 10ft. can be a deal breaker...

201 - 220 of 232 Posts