IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
The only fans the Rats have are graduates. What other reason would there be????
I stand corrected. My daughter informed me that her friend is going to the game this weekend and wanted to borrow some of her Oregon gear to wear. Her friend is a senior at 🐀 U. Even they don’t want to be fans.
I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s a true story.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Never understood the issue w/ being a fan of a college team and having to attend said school. I didn’t go to any university, went into a trade (thankfully). Does that mean I can’t be fan of any college team?

Oregon should win, but after that **** they laid last week. Who knows.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I don’t think it’s a problem being a fan of a university that you didn’t attend, but kind of weird to be a fan of a rival school to where you attend. I think in that case, she just wants to fit in and isn’t a fan of either school.

I can tell you most of the fans of my school didn’t attend there at all. My uncle/aunt had season tickets for years and neither attended any college. It can be a very fun party atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Not to end the discussion prematurely, but I’d like even the most ardent Beaver Believer to answer this question honestly:

Over the last 20 complete seasons, of the two programs, which program has had the most success? Numbers don’t lie.

Over the last 20 complete seasons, which program, OSU or Oregon, has a positive win percentage? Numbers don’t lie.
(In case you didn’t know, OSU has lost more games that they have won, but that metric will change when 2021 comes to a close. And yes, I included 2000’s 11-1 season.)

Since the inception of the PAC-12 Championship, how many times have the Beavers appeared? Numbers don’t lie.

Since the inception of the PAC-12 Championship, which team has won the most titles?

The response I expect is the question How many national championships has Oregon won? Which is hilarious, since it has nothing to do with this rivalry.

Realistically, a down year for the Ducks is a “We got this turned around!” season for OSU.

I know, the truth hurts, but it is what it is. Answer the questions honestly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In 2016 Oregon went 4-8, the season was considered a colossal failure, the fans were disappointed, and the coach was fired.

In 2016 Oregon St went 4-8, the season was considered a wild success, the fans were ecstatic, and the coach was given a raise and contract extension.

Expectations between the two schools are different I guess...

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Ouch, I went back and looked at the most recent 10 complete seasons.

If you’re a Beaver fan I don’t recommend it.

43-79, which means losing two out of every three games. Actually it’s a little worse than that but I rounded.

During the same time period the Ducks are 101-32, which equates to a 76% win percentage. And that includes 4 PAC-12 Championships, 3 Rose Bowl wins, and 2 National Championship appearances.

But no National Championship wins, right?

Yep, that goal has eluded Oregon, but be honest with yourself - would you rather get there and lose, or go 5-7 (OSU’s record both times Oregon played for the NC) and watch from the couch?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you want to compare records from 10 years ago to now, we can do that too, but I don’t think the truth would go down any easier.
Is this not the smack-talking thread, or the "let's break down the numbers" thread? Whatever happened to the "throw out the records when these teams get together" mentality??? Right now I'd prefer to throw out the records from the last 10 years, because it doesn't make my alma mater look good. 😳

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Is this not the smack-talking thread, or the "let's break down the numbers" thread? Whatever happened to the "throw out the records when these teams get together" mentality??? Right now I'd prefer to throw out the records from the last 10 years, because it doesn't make my alma mater look good. 😳
Excellent point about throwing out the records when these teams meet.

Remember Pettibone? His only win one year was against the Ducks, in Autzen.

The highest compliment I can give the Beavs this year is I think they’re going to win Saturday.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Excellent point about throwing out the records when these teams meet.

Remember Pettibone? His only win one year was against the Ducks, in Autzen.

The highest compliment I can give the Beavs this year is I think they’re going to win Saturday.
I do remember him. Sat through a lot of miserable games in Parker Stadium watching his wishbone/option offense stink up the joint when I was a young lad. Fortunately, for me and the rest of Beaver Nation, our current coach knows a thing or two about winning games, both as a player and a coach. Let's not forget he was OC for the Dawgs when they made the CFP in 2016/2017. Heck, our interim DC knows a thing or two about winning Civil Wars as well!

Let's just say we Beavs like our chances a lot more with Smitty at the helm than we do Pettibone, Riley or Anderson. Thus our hopeful optimism about this Saturday's outcome.

21 - 40 of 176 Posts