IFish Fishing Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Talha: Nice score. Our birds were said to come from your neighbor, India.
According to the ODFW Beaver State Podcast episode on Chukar, some of the first birds transplanted in 1893 were actually from Karachi (present-day Pakistan; Gained Independence 1947).

~12 min into the podcast

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
According to the ODFW Beaver State Podcast episode on Chukar, some of the first birds transplanted in 1893 were actually from Karachi (present-day Pakistan; Gained Independence 1947).

~12 min into the podcast
I saw the same information in the oregon hunters magazine (OHA) I just received the last couple days. Interesting they have been here since 1893. Ling time ago!
Love them birds.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
We got 6 on last Saturday (not Christmas) and only 1 hun yesterday..

Too much snow to be super effective yesterday, but we did put up 3 coveys of huns and a covey of chukars.

Young dogs working yesterday that need some polish..

Little miss money showing off some style..
Hand Safety glove Glove Jaw Gesture
Dog Camouflage Gesture Carnivore Military camouflage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I finally made it back to Oregon, for the rest of chukar season. I went out for an hour or so, mostly to run the dogs and take the edge off so could sleep tonight. Found 3 coveys! First one busted wild, second one I circled and killed a triple! Third one was perfect, but the bolt on my semi-auto was out of battery, failed to fire. Cleared it, checked the barrel, re-loaded. The dogs then found a late straggler, #4 in the bag. Heading out for a full day tomorrow, always a good start to roll a triple out of the first covey shot at for the season!
Wheel Tire Dog Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Maverick Maxcat always hate that mud seems I grow 10 inches as I walk through it. Good luck on your hunts. Good lookin dogs.

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Went out yesterday, a real mud bath. Tough getting around. The only place we found birds was a place I haven't hunted in years. First bunch the pup pointed but they moved out of sight over to the edge of the rimrock. They flushed and out of sight over the edge in a split second. Next bunch she started working scent on the wind from quite a distance. The wind was blowing the scent through a patch of Juniper and it was getting dispersed, pup didn't get a solid lock till she got to the junipers. Fun watching her focus as she worked her way in. Ultra slow motion stalk. I flushed the birds and thought I killed one but couldn't find. It looked dead. Continued on and dog hit an enormous amount of scent. For about 100 yards, she worked along the edge of the rimrock, smelling the birds roosting below. Had a couple of places that opened up to pockets where birds should have been but nada. Did come across a herd of elk, must have been 200 of them. A long tedious walk out, feet hurt, back was tired. I probably covered ten miles, the pup a whole lot more. She was still running when we got back to where we were parked. Can't wear her out. Tough getting out of bed this morning, feel fine now.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Had a good day with a buddy last weekend but dogs were kinda torn up after bagging our limits. Let them rest this week and headed out today. Lots of mud today and last week too. Found four coveys today. Beautiful day out and actually could have used a little more breeze. Rarely say that in E. OR. New pup is doing great. She found 3 of the 4 coveys first. The old man did his job and backed, which he really doesn't like to do, he wants to find them first! Can get a little competitive first thing out of the truck. Heading SE tomorrow to hopefully rendezvous with Maverick.

Attachments

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
Gotta love hunting in the fog!

Reminds me of hearing birds flushing late in the season and straining to see them and here comes the dog saying " why didn't you shoot dad" !

Fun times!
Thanks for all those who shared pictures and some words..
lately all I have is living in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Fog, thicker the better. Visibility 30 yards at most. Cooperative dog stays within sight till birds scented, moves into scent. Follow dog's last direction. There she is locked up, move ahead and flush birds, easy shooting, three shots, three down, repeat next covey. Dang it was easy back then.... Love the fog..... Lots of birds doesn't hurt either. Not the same today.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dog- Thanks. It was a fairly long retrieve, probably about 100 yds. The bird sailed down a steep hill before dropping. Coming back up the retrieve wasn’t pretty, took quite a bit of coaxing to get him back up to me. But he held onto the bird the whole way and I didn’t have to walk all the way down to get it (which would of sucked). His other two retrieves for the day were much more solid. We also got our first Hun today!

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
Made it out today in the fog. Had a couple great point and sneaks. First bunch jumped wild in the fog, no shots fired. Came upon another small bunch in some shale and should have made hay, but that darn uneven ground gives an unfair advantage to the birds.

Knocked one down.
Lost of mud and sloppy ground. No wind to dry things out a bit.

Dog hunted great. We have gotten to the point that we speak no words unless we are on a retrieve.
Looking forward to the next trip already. Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountainous landforms Groundcover
Dog Carnivore Liver Collar Gun dog

81 - 97 of 97 Posts