IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Been that kind of year so far. Last weekend we had a point and I gave my son the pole position. He worked in just as I would have on the point and took the high ground expecting a flush at or just below the outcropping. I snuck in behind and had to cross a fence. I told myself I would be mid cross when the birds blow. I had one leg on each side when the single(expected more than one) jumped and flew back in the direction we had just come from. My son was out of position and I lucked out and made the shot with barbed wire in my crotch. Murphys Law type of thing. I find that later season birds and being very very quiet put more birds in my lap.
Why do you think you are more successful on later season birds?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have found they are more predictable and hold better. Kinda goes against the school of thought but early season I find birds to be more jumpy. Also I try and hit my out of the way places later in the season. Birds have hopefully seen less pressure

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sometimes the coveys have broken up a bit and more doubles, not 30 birds in a flush, all with nervous eyes. I liked hunting in thick fog, makes for easy shooting.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Chukardave, Why are they more predictable????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Per the terms of this thread, I guess this is a dog on point.

Mountain Dog Sky Carnivore Bedrock

I mean, he locked up like this for a while.
This was pup’s first hunt (and my first in over ten years), and I think he startled himself by finding this bird I (somehow) dropped. He didn’t quite know what to do with himself when he realized he was on something really, really exciting, and I’m not entirely sure he wasn’t trying to pretend nothing was there in hopes I would just move along and leave him with it. So I got this fun curiosity.

He tried to make up for, you know, the questionable form with a glamour shot later in the morning.

Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Slope

But I still won’t really forget that first “point.”

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Went out today, had the place to myself 'cept for three duck footed elk hunters walking in while I was walking out. Told 'em there hadn't been any elk in there in months. Found an area with lots of sign. Not like the good old days but better than several years past. Pup did a lot of ground tracking that didn't turn into points, couldn't find anything on the wind but she sure tried. There was a lot of wind today. Again I'm on the wrong side of a fence when she gets serious. Get over quick as I can and head to the right of where I last saw her. There's a large mogul to go around and when I get to the back side, she's nowhere in sight. Look back where she had disappeared and there she is, lock up. Figure the birds are downhill, into the wind from us so head that direction. Nothing. Start moving again and hear wings between me and the pup. A single is searching for altitude but when I get the gun to my shoulder the bill of my hat is too low, can't look down the barrel very well. Squeeze of a shot and hope for the golden BB. Get lucky but bird is still going, try a second shot but shell is kind of a dud. The crimp had opened and spilled shot into the action and gun jammed. Watched the bird and it ran out of gas down the hill a little way. Didn't see where it hit but heard the plop. Dog took off and I got the gun working again. Found dog with bird and called for a fetch. She took off with the the bird the other direction, it was hers. Yelled, COME" and she come, delivered to hand. Shortly afterward ran into two coveys. Ellie blundered into one as she wasn't downwind of them and that covey put another covey on alert which got up 30 seconds later, 150 yards out. Ran out of sign and birds, been at it three hours. Wind really picked up so looked west and there's a big rain squall headed for us. Watched it approach for a few minutes and didn't appear to be breaking up. Decided to head back as didn't want to get soaking wet with strong wind, temp maybe 39. 2 hour 15 minute hike back to truck.

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Dutch looks a little warm. Have you ever considered stripping his coat? I had a dog like Dutch and I stripped the entire outer coat off twice a year. All that was left was the underfur. I'd do it in the spring to eliminate the old winter coat and once in the fall to allow a new winter coat to grow in. Dog is cooler in summer and cooler during the hunt. If you need help with stripping, I can e-mail you instructions and photos. Griffs have odd coats. When the hair gets to its maximum length, the hair follicle goes dormant. Most dogs shed constantly because the follicles don't go dormant. A Griff (and many other breeds) need the dormant hair physically removed so the follicle springs back to life and grows a new hair. A healthy coat is a growing coat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I stripped him 5 months ago and have furminatored him multiple times since. His coat isn’t blown out yet, but probably will be in a couple months. I could strip him twice a year, but it really doesn’t make a huge difference. I could shave him and he will still get hot on a 50 degree day.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
I love this thread and those like it every year. Keep 'em coming!!!!

Question: Now that I'm retired, would a guy have any chance of running into some birds (Chukar, quail, whatever)if he loaded up the camper and headed east WITHOUT a dog? I know, I know, get a dog........Anyway, I usually spend December and January chasing ducks & geese, but the dry side seems to be calling me.

Back to great pictures & reports!

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Wreckless: I know you're and active guy with many interests and getting a dog would indeed crimp your style. But, dogs do fine on boats and a good upland dog make a good waterfowl dog as well. That's why they're called, versatiles. You would indeed be forced to make some lifestyle changes but that isn't all bad. Think of it as an adventure, the next page, an open door, life on the road. September through November, MT and the Dakotas, Dec. through Jan., Chukars and Huns. What ducks?

To answer your question, it would be a big maybe. Quail numbers are through the roof this year. Some coveys have 75/100 birds. The drought affected where Chukars and Huns hang out more than their numbers. They can be harder to get to the farther east you go. With rain, things may be getting back to more normal, but their numbers remain down although better than they have been for many years.

One hump to get over is upland hunting requires a person pack a nice shotgun.... or three. None of those camo covered plastic stocked guns. Nothing but high grade walnut will do. Pretty gun, ugly dog.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
One hump to get over is upland hunting requires a person pack a nice shotgun.... or three. None of those camo covered plastic stocked guns. Nothing but high grade walnut will do. Pretty gun, ugly dog.
I'm the opposite, pretty dogs and ugly gun. I've bit the farm too many times on shale sidehills, snow covered rocks, etc. to take my nice guns, so it's a Benelli 20ga. And for dogs, a group of setters.

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
47.... Agree, huntin' Chukars with a nice gun will turn it into a not so nice gun. I've fallen hard three times when rocks rolled out from under my foot while going down hill, last time was the worst. Don't know how I got away from that one without being hurt. The gun hit hard and the buttstock got dinged, figured the barrel got dented but it was fine. Close call for sure. Luckily the gun I had was one I bought with that in mind so no big deal.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
I used to think the stock on my shotgun was a Rutter for shale slides. Shooting one handed while holding your self up with the other!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I just had to buy a new forestock off eBay. Really hard fall that flung the gun into a large rock. old one is still holding together with epoxy repair I made so the replacement forestock gets to stay in the box for a little bit more time

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Wreckless,
A nice retriever would work very well for you also. Just as " versatile" as a versatile, hunt anything you want. You will likely kill just as many chukars as you would with a pointy dog. Ive been doing it with retrievers for over 40 years. You'll have a nice waterfowl dog and it wont ruin your eyes when you look at it!!!

The key to chukar hunting is taking the dog to the correct area.

Reactions: Wreckless
41 - 60 of 97 Posts