IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna see lots of dog on point photos and all the other stuff related to a great day afield.

Please keep specific locations to yourself and don't let this turn into a, where do I go thread.

Turn out the dogs and have a great season.

It's dry out there, like no one has ever seen before. No green what so ever, birds eating grasshoppers to stay alive. Scenting conditions are as bad as they can be. Don't count on dogs being able to track winged birds.

I'll be in Richland starting next week and stay till I feel like coming home. Staying at The Hitchin' Post, y'all stop in. Don't expect to have that many good reports myself with a green 9 month old pup and hunting completely new ground.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Been a few years since I have been over there but when crappie fishing I usually see lots of chukar. Good luck.

I went out last weekend, with my 6 month old GWP. I have never hunted chukar before and it was so fun, I can't wait to go again. What a workout. Anyway, the pup found birds but is not good at holding a point yet so he would flush birds out of range or I would just plain miss. The shooting below your feet is not natural. We also had some wild flushes. All in all I was happy with how he did for his age and we both learned a lot in our two days of hunting.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Warmer than anticipated today. Got this shot. Wish I could say I was right there when they blew but that pic is zoomed all the way in. Was sucking wind trying to catch up. John Day area had a lot of green up. I was stunned and shocked and glad to see it. The rain has helped the conditions. Bird numbers were average maybe slightly above.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Terrain

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Warmer than anticipated today. Got this shot. Wish I could say I was right there when they blew but that pic is zoomed all the way in. Was sucking wind trying to catch up. John Day area had a lot of green up. I was stunned and shocked and glad to see it. The rain has helped the conditions. Bird numbers were average maybe slightly above. View attachment 965341
Great looking crew,and pic .Been better if there was a cat in the Rocks😳👍🏻.Im sure some of y’all’s Bird dogs have caught them .

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Laylas first chuckar hunt! She was happy. The blues were an added bonus

Attachments

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hunted the Owyhee for nearly 30 years and the Cow Hollow hunt for pheasants. My hunting partner said his dogs got to old and doesn't want anymore dogs. I can understand at 70 not sure I could make it over there and give these legs a good work out. Miss my labs and seeing them work the field. The early mornings laying there in the bunk listening to the birds wake up. The memory of the anticipation and excitement. Thanks Dog and others for those.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Lol yes she’s a spoiled pit/Rottweiler cross. She’s not high energy bird dog but she will stay close and get them up. She also retrieves really well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Her perfect hunt day starts about 10am 🤦🏼‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sorry cant help myself! Dogzilla, if your pointers are having trouble tracking cripples, get a RETRIEVER!!!! LOL!!! (and hoppers are GREAT for chukars)

This is my 34th year of chukars! Ill pass on a few tidbits. Its early and can still be warm. dont kill your dog when its hot. (or yourself)Its happened. Snakes may not be dormant yet. Make sure pup is prepared for the adventure. No experience in the field is worth a bad experience. If your pup has half decent drive, he doesnt need to get on birds at 4 months. He's better off getting trained
Lastly, its said after your first day of chukar hunting you spend the rest of your life getting revenge. I can assure you there's no revenge. there is sweat, beauty, great dog work, poor dog work, great shooting , poor shooting. Great friendship. poor friendship. Enjoy your triumphs. accept your losses. But, enjoy all of it!

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have been in Richland since last Tuesday, have yet to see a Chukar but lots of Huns around. Few shot opportunities. Lots of hunters, no one putting up big numbers. 2 birds would be a good day. I did see one fellow cleaning birds on his tailgate, looked like he had at least six. A fluke for sure. Lots of rain, can’t get around on the trails because of the mud. Just walking hills loads up the boots. Didn’t hunt yesterday, rained till 3:00. Was dry all night but doesn’t look good right now. Could open up again. Gotta get the boots on and give it another try.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Dogzilla, I got to thinking how that guy 6 birds, must have had a retriever! Seen it a thousand times!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Revulshawn
1 - 20 of 97 Posts