IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Curious if Q's use the same numbers the state does to proceed or shut down.
The closure thresholds are federally regulated. I’m presuming you’re referring to treaty harvest which if sold to the public would follow the same regulations. I’d be surprised to see them take any if levels were high.

The bigger question is if Oregon will be able to get samples for this testing period? Big surf, small tides and according to ODFW fewer clams makes one wonder.

Clam

· Registered
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SERIOUS clam drought!

By this time last winter, I already had 10 full limit trips under my belt for the fall/winter season. This year only 2... and NONE since October.

Next diggable day for sampling is next Wed 18th followed by Feb 3. But with Feb 3 being a Friday night dig, results from the lab would not be available til the following Monday Feb 6 at the earliest, leaving only two more diggable days for that tide series.

Realistically, the best case scenario at this point is a potential opening Feb 16. 😕

· Registered
6,224 Posts
Anything leaking out on size/quantity? The word on the beach last year was that the thick population of large clams was made up of specimens that would soon die of old age. Any support to that theory?

· Registered
1,935 Posts

· Registered
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next diggable day for sampling is next Wed 18th followed by Feb 3. But with Feb 3 being a Friday night dig, results from the lab would not be available til the following Monday Feb 6 at the earliest, leaving only two more diggable days for that tide series.

Realistically, the best case scenario at this point is a potential opening Feb 16. 😕
A bit of a retraction. There is a REMOTE possibility of opening the tide series in the first week of Feb. But it would mean having to obtain a valid sample sometime around Jan 31 or Feb 1 to get the results back in time. This is no small task as the tides would be +0.86 or higher when attempting to dig those samples.

If the mid-January samples are clean, it would be worth their while to try for that second clean sample to allow an opener. If mid-January samples are tainted, there's no point.... they'd just sample again on the next decent tide.

Keeping fingers crossed

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Downward trend for Clatsop over the past 3 tests is an encouraging sign that the current algae bloom is abating. Hoping that trend moves northward.
According to ODFW and WDFW shellfish managers the bloom started in mid September and was gone in early to mid November. But by then the razors had already gotten dosed with the toxin which takes a long time to cleanse from their body.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts