IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Heading home we saw something unusual, something I’ve seen maybe 6 times in 30 years, white pelicans on the Columbia.

There's been a bunch hanging out between Clatskanie and Cathlamet since at least the beginnng of June. Agreed, not something usually seen in this area.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,092 Posts
There's a family of them that migrate to a lake in Central B.C that I fly fish at....hundreds of miles from salt.
For the past couple of years, we’ve seen them around West Yellowstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Pretty neat birds. Saw a dozen or so about a month ago when I was fishing by Fishers island. When we headed back to the launch they were in the slough. First time I ever saw them down this low on the river.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
The heat-of-the-day bite continues, with yesterday yielding some 12-15 bites for two rods. Bright, hot, Sunshine with 90-something temps and wind didn’t stop us from getting Six(?) steelhead brought to bag, thoroughly inspected for clips, mid-clips and intentions of some day being clipped, with five native steelhead released, and just one keeper bonked. I released a 12-13 lb steelhead. There were 3-4 more that came off, one a likely decent chinook we got a peek at, ripping line along the surface reminiscent of a great white off the Cape of Good Hope chasing seal pups.
Steve got plenty of practice, catching 5-6 of the steelhead.

All on Bling Wings with coonstripe shrimp, shallow water.

It was Steve’s (Whethole’s) first fishing trip in his “new” Thunderjet, and I got to be a guest, so long as I brought Leo. An epic day for sure.

We had a good vibe rolling.

You have a nice boat Steve, it zips right along, runs smoothly and quietly, and catches fish. You’ve made great improvements already on it and I look forward to fishing again on it.

I’m feeling so generous that I’ll be starting a thread of everything WRONG with your boat shortly with that FULL list of things you should fix or do to it. Maybe some other, wise iFishers can pile on a few additional faults, suggestions and shortcomings you’ll need to focus on, just to wipe that “Canary that ate the cat”! permanent smirk off of your face!

CW

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
@ccw it was a good time to be had by all. Well, maybe not the fish that got harrased by us. I'm now a BLINGLIEVER! We put on a clinic yesterday. Too bad almost no one was there for the lesson. I'm honored that you were the first one to help me christen the boat, as it was you who got me hooked up with the seller. Seems fitting. I look forward to the new thread about what my boat needs. I'll go first. I need to figure out the annoying rod holder coming out of the base when I'm grabbing it as a fish is going crazy. 😵‍💫

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
@ccw it was a good time to be had by all. Well, maybe not the fish that got harrased by us. I'm now a BLINGLIEVER! We put on a clinic yesterday. Too bad almost no one was there for the lesson. I'm honored that you were the first one to help me christen the boat, as it was you who got me hooked up with the seller. Seems fitting. I look forward to the new thread about what my boat needs. I'll go first. I need to figure out the annoying rod holder coming out of the base when I'm grabbing it as a fish is going crazy. 😵‍💫
Easy fix, get locking bases. All eight in my boat lock and I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
NOT an easy fix, as the one in question IS a locking Scotty base. Faulty, perhaps?
That's certainly an issue that needs investigating. I haven't had any issues with any of mine. Puzzling??

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,092 Posts
NOT an easy fix, as the one in question IS a locking Scotty base. Faulty, perhaps?
Hey Whetholio,

I have a new spare locking base. You are more than welcome to it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
@ccw - I’ve been wanting to join the Bling movement and have plenty of them but just can’t get past the lack of floatation. I’m generally fishing 7-12’ of water with pretty good current with smaller SNG and coonstripe shrimp. I’m guessing that the current drag provides enough lift with the bling wings. Maybe I’ll just have to give them a go.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Hey Whetholio,

I have a new spare locking base. You are more than welcome to it.

I had a based that came to me via Amazon that was completely disassembled. I put it back together, but who knows why it failed. I might have to indeed get another one, as the others haven't done the same thing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Use one plastic bead as a bearing above a couple hard foam “cheaters” or corkies of your choice. Shrimp tail on hook. It’s easy to raise its buoyancy. So it will function, spin and flash in the most meager current.

Looks good. Last night after posting I went out for a couple hours. Realized I only had some Mack’s smile blades with my SNGs. Found a small corky in the boat and rigged something similar to your pick. Ended up with a good sized sockeye and a mediumish clipped steelhead.

Also, you wouldn’t probably remember but we were anchored next to one another on the piling line you frequent years ago early spring. I think you might have just gotten your recent boat. I run a plain aluminum 20’ supervee with only dead moon stickers on my main. I enjoyed that day and always appreciate your contributions here.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Sounds like an epic day and can’t wait for a ride out in the salt.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Whethole- I have Scotty holders and only one can you lift out of gun el mount while grabbing the pole. That is due to a person running to a bite and pulling straight up on the pole with the holder smoothing out the little “ridge “ on the side of the post that goes into the gunnel mount.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts