IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked back 5 pages and didn't see where anyone had started a reports thread for Columbia Summer Steelhead.
So I guess I'll start off with todays Report.
We fished below Longview today, on the hook @ 4 FOW all day with Spin-n-Glo and Loony Coonies. Our target was Sockeye and I came up with this 2 mins. after 1st cast..Turned out to be our only bite of the day. We slowly worked our way out till we were fishing 15 FOW. then back.
Watched the plunkers along Willow Grove only get 4 sockeye and 3 Steelhead all day. Very slow compared to 3 days ago. I can't complain about the not getting a sockeye with a beauty of a summer run like this.

Water Cloud Sky Watercraft Vehicle

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was plunking the last two days at sunny sands there were well over twenty people fishing both days.Yesterday seemed to be the better day as I think more sockeye were caught yesterday. I only saw two fish that were steelhead. But I am sure there were more down the beach where I could not see what they caught. for me I only had one small fish that came off quickly ,probably a sockeye. This morning was very slow. The beach was full at 6:30 when I got there and I was told that not a single bell had rung yet.So I slowly got my gear out, waiting for the tide to drop and open up some more fishing room. The beach remained silent till about 8 when the guy downstream from me gets one on. It looked big as it jumped out of the water and off his hook .From there a few fish were being caught but not many All were downstream of me. I talked to a guy that was fishing upstream by the entrance about 9:30 and he said there was not a single fish caught yet .Happily my luck changed today. I got a sockeye at 8:45 to break my slump and at 10:30 I got a nice steelhead. It was just 26" but it was thick not at all slender like some I have caught in the past.Overall It feels disappointing how few fish there are considering how many rods are in the water there.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hadn't planned on fishing with boat ramps and beaches all crowded today but When a buddy (Jason Pond) calls to go fishing I'm not sayin no
😁

Started off at the Willow Grove Beach Plunking and with in 10 mins. I had a Sockeye. I got in a hurry to get out the door and forgot not being in my boat I was going to need a cooler and ice for the fish. So I left shortly there after, I went home and ate then came back and caught a summer steelhead and back home before 5 PM.
Thanks for taking pics Jason and everyone stay safe tonight!!
Water Sky Cloud Blue Azure

Plant Window Tie Standing Road surface

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seem to be on a roll. I've caught fish last 4 out of 5 days with 3 2 fish limits of Sockeye and Summer Steelhead. For the 2nd day left the boat at home and plunked from the beach. SNG's and **** shrimp. I released a full fin Chinook, lost 2 fish I'm going to say were sockeye. Then I caught the Steelhead followed by the sockeye 10 minutes later, Home by 11:00
Trousers Jeans Plant Sky Fish

·
Registered
300 Posts
Seem to be on a roll. I've caught fish last 4 out of 5 days with 3 2 fish limits of Sockeye and Summer Steelhead. For the 2nd day left the boat at home and plunked from the beach. SNG's and **** shrimp. I released a full fin Chinook, lost 2 fish I'm going to say were sockeye. Then I caught the Steelhead followed by the sockeye 10 minutes later, Home by 11:00
View attachment 984417
Wow nice looking fish! Keep crushing them!

·
Registered
403 Posts
So when will there be a meeting discussing the opening of closed steelhead fisheries? In particular I would expect drano to open soon with the great run we are having. Haven't really been able to fish in years I’m looking forward to finally getting after them again.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Mr Plugs, get your guide license.

Not! 🤣
Ha John I was a guide on the Cowlitz, Lewis and Kalama from the late 70's thru 1996 full time and worked with Don at Barrier Dam Campground & Tackle Store for a few years. 1996 my right shoulder started giving out on me between rowing the drift boat, raising and lowering motors and launching the sled and all the back-bouncing. My web site from then is still up even though I told them to delete it several times LOL Rod's Guide Service
I'm in my mid 60's now and the body is to shot for all though goes with guiding.
No Steelhead today just this pig chinook. :) From the beach again.

Water Liquid Fluid Beach Pollution

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Ha John I was a guide on the Cowlitz, Lewis and Kalama from the late 70's thru 1996 full time and worked with Don at Barrier Dam Campground & Tackle Store for a few years. 1996 my right shoulder started giving out on me between rowing the drift boat, raising and lowering motors and launching the sled and all the back-bouncing. My web site from then is still up even though I told them to delete it several times LOL Rod's Guide Service
I'm in my mid 60's now and the body is to shot for all though goes with guiding.
No Steelhead today just this pig chinook. :) From the beach again.

View attachment 984650
I am not surprised a bit, love your posts! 👍🏼

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anyone on the river this morning who can give me a water temp?

Plugs, you're crushing it. Nice fish.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: plugs

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone on the river this morning who can give me a water temp?
You'd probably get a better response if posted in the Spring Chinook Reports Thread with 3 days left here below Bonneville. Might want to include a general area as there's a difference in temps as you travel downstream of the dam and tributaries enter here and there.
Good luck out there!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts