IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a Dead Zone thread, so here goes.

Got this one 20 minutes into my first pass this morning somewhere along Bachelor Island. 35 feet of water. 38 feet on the line counter. 16 ounces.

Never saw another boat. Those of you that are waiting for the fish to arrive, get out there. It's white hot!
Fin Grey Fish Food Marine biology

·
Registered
663 Posts
Rookie question: Why is this area called the Dead Zone?
In the before times, during the long long ago, in an age before 360s, before enlightenment, when man's mainstem CR fall fishery was restricted to primitive anchor fishing, with only wobblers and plugs at our disposal, the Dead Zone was named. For in those dark ages, before the gift of 360 was revealed unto us, only the 10% of the 10% could catch fall chinook on anchor betwixt the Lewis and Bonneville. A barren wasteland of sunburns and wasted rod hours and spilt carrot milk. Let us never forget the sacrifices of our forefathers.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
In the before times, during the long long ago, in an age before 360s, before enlightenment, when man's mainstem CR fall fishery was restricted to primitive anchor fishing, with only wobblers and plugs at our disposal, the Dead Zone was named. For in those dark ages, before the gift of 360 was revealed unto us, only the 10% of the 10% could catch fall chinook on anchor betwixt the Lewis and Bonneville. A barren wasteland of sunburns and wasted rod hours and spilt carrot milk. Let us never forget the sacrifices of our forefathers.
Hahaha oh brother! Man that is a masterpiece and no 🧚‍♀️ fairytale story. I applaud you.

Glad someone started the thread.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hahaha oh brother! Man that is a masterpiece and no 🧚‍♀️ fairytale story. I applaud you.

Glad someone started the thread.
Golden! Back in the day we did great on anchor not burning fuel relaxing and caught my share. Now the trolling fleet has forced us to do the same. Can’t throw an anchor with out ping of the fleet. Love fall fishing either way. We all have to adapt I guess.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Golden! Back in the day we did great on anchor not burning fuel relaxing and caught my share. Now the trolling fleet has forced us to do the same. Can’t throw an anchor with out ping of the fleet. Love fall fishing either way. We all have to adapt I guess.
I make them go around me. I don’t care. I get my share too. I’m a wobbler diehard. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Rookie question: Why is this area called the Dead Zone?
The dead zone is a misnomer. There used to be a guy on here named Louis that was legendary for catching fish in this area. The funny thing was that he just learned to read the structure. He was anchored in the same spot every day, but it was a travel lane / funnel. I don’t anchor fish much anymore, but most of my success in that area was in spots that the river funneled fish through. I would spend up to a half hour putting around on the trolling motor and staring at the depth finder before deciding where to drop the hook (usually off of a point or in a funnel slot).

I also remember in about ‘04 or ‘05 when we discovered that we could troll wobblers or spinners downhill on the incoming tide with some success. Before that, we only fished anchor tides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Even with 360's still hasn't changed much compared to lower river. Lock jaw is the norm

1 - 20 of 256 Posts