IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it’s official there is an official thread for almost everything.
Been crabbing for the last two weeks before, after and between salmon fishing trips. Started out fairly slow at the beginning but the small tides really picked up the catch rate last week. Dropped four pots last Monday, 9/12 and had 31 keepers for three of us. North jetty area. Wednesday dropped 2 pots and had 28 keepers for two on board. Kept the best 24. 9/17 dropped 4 pots on the Oregon side in a popular area and kept 36 for three on board. Bait was salmon carcass and chicken leg quarters. Both worked effectively maybe a slight advantage to the salmon.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Agreed with redneckty. It HAS been stupid good. Son and I soaked 5 pots for 1 hour at a time and had our limits by the 8th pot yesterday. Meat is SWEET and full and there was only 2 crabs that were soft. I love eating crab this time of the year. When their meat re swells, this is when they are PRIME.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I'll be in to see you this afternoon. It's taking me to long to boil them on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try steaming them. I take my boiling keg and fill it with 3 or 4 inches of water. I then made a standing screen that goes into keg to keep the crab out of the water. Fill with crab and steam them for 20 minutes. They turn out delicious, and it takes about 10 minutes to get it rolling.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve been exploring different areas this year and finding different size and quality of crab. All areas are crabbing well. Today it was just outside the Ilwaco entrance. Two pots, 24 crab. Crab were smaller compared to other areas but were better quality. Also more females and smaller crab in the pots than the north jetty and south side of the river.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'll be in to see you this afternoon. It's taking me to long to boil them on my own.

Try steaming them. I take my boiling keg and fill it with 3 or 4 inches of water. I then made a standing screen that goes into keg to keep the crab out of the water. Fill with crab and steam them for 20 minutes. They turn out delicious, and it takes about 10 minutes to get it rolling.

I only steam now. Split in half with that purchased one, quick flik to clean and pluck away any gills, sprinkle with some salt as we layer them in my pot. I do 25 minutes after the lid starts to burp steam. I can get over two limits in my cooker.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I only steam now. Split in half with that purchased one, quick flik to clean and pluck away any gills, sprinkle with some salt as we layer them in my pot. I do 25 minutes after the lid starts to burp steam. I can get over two limits in my cooker.
I steam them until I have 5+ limits to deal with. I can get about 2 1/2 to 3 limits in my setup. But if I have to do multiple batches after a day on the water it's easier to go see BGF.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have never crabbed there before, but going to try. Curious if you guys use the Columbia mouth water to cook them in? Is it salty enough to season with the fresh river water mixed in? I have always used the water we caught them in to cook with, but it's always been straight sea water. Otherwise we add salt to fresh water 1/4c per quart, if brought home to cook. It seasons them perfect. I'm not into the flavor boils...east coast blue crab crud.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Yes...... I know this about CR crab. We got ours south of the south jetty and they were BIG, 4 pots FULL, crab leaking from the pots but the crab were not even 1/2 full. I'd heard from this site that ocean crab south of the jetty were good. Well, yes they are! Sweet as can be and that is what we wanted but 1/2 full doesn't really make it worth it. JUST SAYING.......

1 - 20 of 208 Posts