IFish Fishing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 228 Posts

·
Vendor
6,414 Posts
^^^^pompous
Sorry, i dont know exact hatchery to unclipped rate in river. We only see the clipped ones people kill and bring to us, and we have filled about half a gut tote with them in 2 days. Thats pretty good fishing for early August. And people keep bringing in 20 plus pound chinook to weigh on our scale. Seeing about 4 of those a day.

Our bait orders also jumped dramatically, suggesting word of a good bite spread quickly.

At 245 when we ordered bait we basically ordered a third or so more bait than we had orders for, and by 7 pm all the extra bait we ordered was sold out.

Then suddenly guys (even guides) that said they weren't fishing down here this year, are lighting my phone up asking if they can camp in my yard and get bait.

So I haven't personally fished the river yet, but it feels like the last 2 days were really good. Of the guys Ive talked to it sounds like clip rate might be around 60 percent so far, maybe better. I do know the clip rate in the ocean has been better than usual. Lots of clipped chinook around compared to years ago.

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
See more boats out today from living room window, all on the Washington side. There may be boats on the Oregon side that I can’t see. When we came in yesterday a little before 10:00, there was almost no (5 or 6) boats between 10 and Hammond.

I’m wondering what the Tule count is in the river. Like BGF said, some bigger fish this year. It’s about time. The two we got outside yesterday were more “normal”. The small one might have gone 21, the big one 28ish.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Glad to hear the fish are a little more willing to bite in the river. Those BPH Chinooks will still be good enough for the table (fresh from the ocean) but as Jim said... don't wait too long they start getting smelly. As for coho... I'm still hearing they're small, gotta grow up a little more. I think the "B" run will be phenomenal and THAT is the run I love to fish for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Glad to hear the fish are a little more willing to bite in the river. Those BPH Chinooks will still be good enough for the table (fresh from the ocean) but as Jim said... don't wait too long they start getting smelly. As for coho... I'm still hearing they're small, gotta grow up a little more. I think the "B" run will be phenomenal and THAT is the run I love to fish for.
Shhhh…
There is no B run ……

81 - 100 of 228 Posts