IFish Fishing Forum banner
401 - 420 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Well, how was it? I'm wondering how much higher the water Friday will be. Really don't mind using my boat to get to the blind and retrieve birds/set decoys. I don't really like to actually hunt out of it.
Most of the season the Columbia has been running around 6'.
Now it's at 10' and predicted for 11' on Friday

·
Registered
207 Posts
Weekend was good.

Saturday was stellar. Pick your birds kinda day. Wife shot a limit.

Sunday was slower. Shot a couple bull sprig out of the gate.....of course a zillion pins flew low and slow over the dekes the rest of the day (Easily could have killed 25 pins).

Sunday was slower traffic wise. When the public don't shoot, the birds don't fly as well.
------------

Dog got the day off today. She's 9. A little bounce back time is a good thing after a bender.

She did a couple badass fetches yesterday.

First duck landed on ice in middle of lake (We had to break up a hole with boat for decoys). She could see the bird. She played ice breaker for 10 yards. Water was deep. Had to swim whole time. Ice was thick enough the only way she could make progress was to try and climb up on it with her front legs...she would get halfway up on ice, and it would collapse a couple feet or so. I tried to call her off the fetch at one point. She circled towards me about 3 feet, and went back to the bird.(Trainer told me years ago there would be times I had to go get her, because she refuses to quit on a bird. He wasn't lying). I was getting ready to pull boat off anchor to go get her when she hit a patch of rotten ice near the bird, and was able to swim sorta easy the last few feet thru slushy water. The rest of the day, we were careful to only kill birds that would land in open water.

Sailed one behind us about 150 yards. I only had a rough idea where bird was (Say a 50 yard square of potential landing site). Take her downwind 100 yards from where I think bird fell, tell her "Dead Bird"... have her do her thing. She casts into the water, over islands (Plural), back into water, back onto land, back into water, caught the scent as she was swimming hits the afterburners...swims in a pretty straight line 60 yards to shore, goes thru thick cover, grabs a very much alive duck. She carried the drake back to the boat 200 yards away. Jedi level stuff.

Plus the regular stuff of chasing down cripples in cover and water.
Triples without having to give her a direction to second or third bird
Blind backs.

Drive plus experience makes for some fine memories. Plus she's a fine conservation tool. I would have lost 3-4 birds this weekend without her.
If you hunt a lot of ice try finding your next retriever with dew claws intact. Could save that pup's life. Check this out.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
And that's 213,000 cfs at Vancouver BEFORE it even picks up over 100,000 cfs from the Willy! I'd be interested in some SI reports and pics if anyone has them?

Be aware that ...

1. A sinkhole generally opposite Reeder Beach Store has Reeder Rd down to one lane with flaggers controlling traffic.
Slow and approach with caution.

2. On the SI WMA In the vicinity of Rentenaar Road it appears ODFW's pumps are not fully functional and especially south of Rentenaar Road, there's a lot of water.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
207 Posts
MD: Saw that several years ago. Makes a guy think twice about dew claw removal.
Vet told me to hold my hands out in front of me palms facing away. She said now visualize those two hands with no thumbs. That is basically what is happening to puppies at day 3 of life. The other side of the argument is that dew claws cause injuries. She said in her 20 years she's seen only a hand full of dew claw injuries. Hunted with a guy whose dog could climb trees in flooded waters. The front paws, being wet, were very visible and you could see the dog using those thumbs climbing into that tree.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know it’s a first world problem, but I hate trimming my dogs dew claws. They are shaped different, grow different and are tucked in close to the leg, all of which make them a pain to trim.
I realize someday they could come in use for him, but so far they haven’t been needed.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Be aware that ...

1. A sinkhole generally opposite Reeder Beach Store has Reeder Rd down to one lane with flaggers controlling traffic.
Slow and approach with caution.
A temporary repair was done and now both lanes are open as normal.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Slower today. 4 birds, but man did they work nice. I took 2 drake Wigeon that never heard the shot. They were trying to land EXACTLY where I wanted them. I know that's common for some of you, but in a public land spot that I haven't hunted in a couple years, I was happy. One of them was the whitest head/faced mature bull Wigeon I've seen in a while. Another was a BIG drake greenwing.

LOTS, I mean LOTS of water.

P.S. What is the best way to dry out an inertia driven semi-auto that was dropped in the water?
Asking for a friend. He's never done anything dumb like that before.......really.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
P.S. What is the best way to dry out an inertia driven semi-auto that was dropped in the water?
Asking for a friend. He's never done anything dumb like that before.......really.
I've taken mine... I mean my friend, took his apart and placed it above the fireplace after wiping it down with a towel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
With so much water and weary birds, getting em to decoy yesterday was a challenge. After a long spell of bird watching, finally had 3 doing it perfect, into the wind, wings cupped, landing gear down. Drew up on the first bird... bang... dead bird. Swung to the 2nd.... bang... dead bird. Quickly swung to the 3rd... bang... 3 for 3. About the time it starts to dawn on me, I look over to see the huge grin on my partner's face. Yup, I never got a shot off. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
I've taken mine... I mean my friend, took his apart and placed it above the fireplace after wiping it down with a towel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks, my friend's gun is sitting in pieces next to the wood stove as we speak. Not too close. There was a little water in the stock. Plus I pulled the magazine tube/spring. I think it'll be fine. I'm SO GLAD I....er, I mean HE wasn't carrying his new CZ SxS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Flush dunked autos out with lots of rem oil. Get the kooties out. Don't be shy with the oil. Hang to dry. A good auto will run with oil in it. They don't run as well when they get filled up with mud/plant matter/gunk/rust.

Depending on design, make sure mag tube in butt stock gets attention. Rust/mud/goop in that tube/spring is not a good thing.

Reactions: DogZilla15

·
Registered
40,517 Posts
What Flatfish said. If the tube/spring hasn't been serviced in a couple of years it's time to do it anyhow. Which reminds me. I have two that probably need it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My brother and I hunted our favorite coastal lake today, 3 mallards and the rest a mix of Ringnecks, Bufflehead and Ruddy ducks. It seemed like it took FOREVER to get our limits, mostly because it did. Our shooting was less than spectacular today. Oh well, we’ll give it hell tomorrow. . .

I should ad that it was a beautiful day on the coast today. Not beautiful “duck” weather, but sunny, warm and still. Duck burritos for breakfast and I’ll have seared mallard for dinner tonight. Life is good!

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about the magazine tube. It's dry......now. I'm going to leave the gun disassembled for a couple days before it gets cleaned, some oil and reassembling. It looks like the weather next week is going to be too pretty to be great duck hunting anyway. That doesn't mean I won't be going, just lowering my expectations. In fact if it is nice, maybe the SXS will get to play.

Thanks again. No report from me for a couple days.

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
If you insist on a fowling gun being clean and dry, you may want a backup blaster that you dislike.

My backup is a Nova (Actually, it would be my wife's Beretta auto. But for the purposes of this conversation, we will stick with the Benelli pump example). It kicks harder than a mule. Which is enough motivation for me to keep the first string piece running strong.

In a long running effort to not shoot the hard kicking Nova, I have learned my Winnie is amazingly reliable.... even when dirty enough that self proclaimed experts (Like friends, gunsmiths, and innerweb forum folk) tell me it won't work. They are wrong. Which is good, because I'd rather go a few rounds with Mike Tyson than shoot high brass outa that Nova.

Maybe one of the lessons learned out of this, is to always have a can of oil, a bore snake, and an old toothbrush in the blind bag. A lotta reliability fixes like this can be done in the blind. Plus whatever tools are necessary to strip down (Leatherman tools are very handy for life outside the garage. Just sayin) and reassemble.

401 - 420 of 464 Posts