Registered
14,198 Posts
Barometer has been dropping all night.
29f
Thaw is expected today

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
The predicted wind should make Monday interesting....

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Wigeon show today. Mallards and sprig didn't want to play.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Same for me. In fact my "strap picture" would have looked almost identical (only 7 birds). Lots of Teal & Wigeon. The only big duck in my decoys was one hen Pintail that got a pass as did a bunch of Teal. I think I only saw 3-4 Mallards all day.

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Weekend was good.

Saturday was stellar. Pick your birds kinda day. Wife shot a limit.

Sunday was slower. Shot a couple bull sprig out of the gate.....of course a zillion pins flew low and slow over the dekes the rest of the day (Easily could have killed 25 pins).

Sunday was slower traffic wise. When the public don't shoot, the birds don't fly as well.
------------

Dog got the day off today. She's 9. A little bounce back time is a good thing after a bender.

She did a couple badass fetches yesterday.

First duck landed on ice in middle of lake (We had to break up a hole with boat for decoys). She could see the bird. She played ice breaker for 10 yards. Water was deep. Had to swim whole time. Ice was thick enough the only way she could make progress was to try and climb up on it with her front legs...she would get halfway up on ice, and it would collapse a couple feet or so. I tried to call her off the fetch at one point. She circled towards me about 3 feet, and went back to the bird.(Trainer told me years ago there would be times I had to go get her, because she refuses to quit on a bird. He wasn't lying). I was getting ready to pull boat off anchor to go get her when she hit a patch of rotten ice near the bird, and was able to swim sorta easy the last few feet thru slushy water. The rest of the day, we were careful to only kill birds that would land in open water.

Sailed one behind us about 150 yards. I only had a rough idea where bird was (Say a 50 yard square of potential landing site). Take her downwind 100 yards from where I think bird fell, tell her "Dead Bird"... have her do her thing. She casts into the water, over islands (Plural), back into water, back onto land, back into water, caught the scent as she was swimming hits the afterburners...swims in a pretty straight line 60 yards to shore, goes thru thick cover, grabs a very much alive duck. She carried the drake back to the boat 200 yards away. Jedi level stuff.

Plus the regular stuff of chasing down cripples in cover and water.
Triples without having to give her a direction to second or third bird
Blind backs.

Drive plus experience makes for some fine memories. Plus she's a fine conservation tool. I would have lost 3-4 birds this weekend without her.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Widgeon. That is all we see inside the decoys. Outside and flying higher there are nice mallards and a few pintails. What does it mean if the only ducks you can pull in are widgeon? Last time out it was 8 Widgeon and a goose (3 guys). PS. Do guys consider Widgeon decent eaters? The guys in the blind seem to think they are lesser quality

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Widgeon. That is all we see inside the decoys. Outside and flying higher there are nice mallards and a few pintails. What does it mean if the only ducks you can pull in are widgeon? Last time out it was 8 Widgeon and a goose (3 guys). PS. Do guys consider Widgeon decent eaters? The guys in the blind seem to think they are lesser quality
It comes down to location in my opinion. I've been in blinds where the opposite happens. Greenheads want in the decoys. Sprig and wigeon want nothing to do with you. It was clearly a wigeon lake yesterday. They eat just fine but I too hear of wigeon snobs. More for me.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Heading out to the Island tomorrow and was wondering what the water levels are like?
East side? West side? Which unit(s)? East side flooded blinds? Etc.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would say Widgeon are third on my list. Mallards & Pins have been my fav. I think they are my favorite bird to call in and shoot...Love how they fly and the sounds they make...little fighter jets!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
db jockey posted,
''Do guys consider Widgeon decent eaters? "
In California the Widgeon that have fattened on rice for a while are superb eating.
Widgeon on the coastal flyway that feed in salt bays/marshes generally not near as tasty

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Did it again today.

Instead of Pintailpalooza we had Sunday, it was a steady stream of Cans.

Kinda fun wondering what the star of the show will be on any given day..

Should have limited out before 9. Kept passing up shots I should have taken in an effort to watch instead of kill. Went home with 4 in the bag at 2pm.... trying to figure out flight path and patterns. Never seen any. They came from any direction, flew off into any direction, and would occasionally get nice and close.
--------

Lotsa funny ducks this past week. A few mallards. Baldpate, gaddies, teal and pins have been vast majority. Not a shock, as Boreal was best nesting area this spring. And they make a lotta teal and wigeon there. Dunno where the gadwall are nesting. But they did better than mallards this year,

Most of the ducks are spooky. Didn't have any wind. No jerk string today. Warmer temps.. It showed in their reaction.
--------

Dog did solid work on the fetches. Nothing too challenging. Just go get the duck, bring it back.
-------

Pup woke me at 4:01 am this morning. Unusual for her. She must have figured out the warm long undie shirt, warm socks, and camo fleece next to the bed= big fun. They know a lot more than many folks give them credit for. Evidently, she can tell time too. 4:00 is correct.
-------

I missed a simple 25 yard shot on a couple sailing mallards today. Brought much shame to family name. Every once in a while, I do it to remind myself to do all the little things right......as there's a lotta sky around the duck. Mount the gun. Feet, hips and shoulders correct. Pick out ONE bird (My sin today was greed). Swing thru, bang & assess. Don't get cute. Don't worry where you will shoot the second or third bird. Just do one step at a time. One bird at a time.

Pup gave me a dirty look when I missed. I deserved it.
--------

Working tomorrow. She needs to rest.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Heading out to the Island tomorrow and was wondering what the water levels are like?
Well, how was it? I'm wondering how much higher the water Friday will be. Really don't mind using my boat to get to the blind and retrieve birds/set decoys. I don't really like to actually hunt out of it.

381 - 400 of 464 Posts