IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can’t believe we’re three days in without someone making this. Feels a bit bold, but here it is. Don’t burn public land spots if you can help it, give the dogs plenty of praise and let’s whack some ducks and geese this winter!

A buddy and I had a fun opener. Too many pintail around, but always fun to watch birds bombing into the decoys. Looking forward to the weather this week

Attachments

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Fun weekend with lots of action, jokes and stories. There is something special about a bunch of grown men acting giddy like little kids at Christmas. 5 guys done by 11 Saturday and noon Sunday. Friend's 3 year old pup was a stud chasing down birds and had a spectacular dive for 1... dog completely underwater for a couple seconds.

None of us saw the sharp shinned hawk a second away from picking off a wigeon until the bird got shot. Lucky no harm to the hawk. A bald eagle got a cripple Saturday before we could get to it, then showed up Sunday with mate and got two more.

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fun weekend with lots of action, jokes and stories. There is something special about a bunch of grown men acting giddy like little kids at Christmas. 5 guys done by 11 Saturday and noon Sunday. Friend's 3 year old pup was a stud chasing down birds and had a spectacular dive for 1... dog completely underwater for a couple seconds.

None of us saw the sharp shinned hawk a second away from picking off a wigeon until the bird got shot. Lucky no harm to the hawk. A bald eagle got a cripple Saturday before we could get to it, then showed up Sunday with mate and got two more.

View attachment 965458
Crazy about the raptors. Always been surprised about how little I’ve seen hawks and eagles eating waterfowl, given how many of each are around here.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Slow start in Verboort/Roy. A few local mallards and wood ducks for us, very little shooting around the neighborhood. Only saw one pintail. Last year we had pins by the hundreds on the opener. My now 14 yr old grand niece, who struggled so mightily last season, dropped three, maybe four, of the five she shot at. "My" "lump of coal" pup, now starting her first full season, did OK. She still doesn't like being in one blind when there is action at another, but then, I don't much care for it either... She follows basic hand signals and has a tremendous nose. I think she will develop into the best dog I ever hunted, and I will end up wondering just how good she could have been with dedicated, maybe even professional training.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Slow start in Verboort/Roy. A few local mallards and wood ducks for us, very little shooting around the neighborhood. Only saw one pintail. Last year we had pins by the hundreds on the opener. My now 14 yr old grand niece, who struggled so mightily last season, dropped three, maybe four, of the five she shot at. "My" "lump of coal" pup, now starting her first full season, did OK. She still doesn't like being in one blind when there is action at another, but then, I don't much care for it either... She follows basic hand signals and has a tremendous nose. I think she will develop into the best dog I ever hunted, and I will end up wondering just how good she could have been with dedicated, maybe even professional training.
Don't worry about it. I think the same thing in regards to myself at times.:)

Good luck to all those waterfowlers out there.

Our season started off pretty good down at Summer Lake. The bummer is only 1 of my 3 boys was able to go. An interesting bag. 1 woodie, 2 (not 1, but 2...shot at different times too) blue wing teal, and 2 LARGE Canada Geese to go with 3 snows. No bands.

Opening day at SI was OK. Seemed to be slower than normal. We got a few birds and took a 1st timer out for her 1st waterfowl hunt ever. Good times had by all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Nothing for me Saturday...didn't expect much early season. The water still has a green muck on top...once that is gone the birds will be in.

Looking forward to the goose opener. Lot's of flocks flying low and circling landing spots.

Nice work so far everyone!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm not far from you. If you need a backup dog let me know. She is at home dying to get out. I just had back surgery last week so I can't even lift a shotgun for 30 days.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,100 Posts
Kids getting birds. 7 ducks with a boxlock.

Awesome!

1 - 20 of 217 Posts