IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Just stopped by a local grower yesterday that sells cuts as well as 1/4, 1/2 and whole. Black Angus grass fed and finished, prime grade. $17.75 lb. but is already sold out. Currently taking taking orders for next year and is about to sell out on those. I know it doesn't do you much good right now but thought it helpful with the price check.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Purchased a prime 9.75lb from Safeway for tomorrow. Thanksgiving plans changed last minute so had to come up with something quick. Seasoned and wrapped and will stay out all night tonight to be ready to go in at 10 am tomorrow for lunch. will post results..

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Purchased a prime 9.75lb from Safeway for tomorrow. Thanksgiving plans changed last minute so had to come up with something quick. Seasoned and wrapped and will stay out all night tonight to be ready to go in at 10 am tomorrow for lunch. will post results..
Out like out on the counter until 10 am? Aren’t you worried about it getting nasty?

Reactions: fishnhunt13

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Not at all, will leave it wrapped. Will absolutely be fine. I would normally get up early and get it out but since we are eating so early it needs to come out tonight.
So mine is 11.62 lbs, we’re eating at 2, so cook time commences at 10;45. When should I pull it from the reefer to come to room temp?

·
Registered
39,990 Posts
I been thinking beef prices will take a big fall this winter. Lots of ranchers will run out of feed because of drought and will have to slaughter. Alfalfa was only providing two cuttings this year, not the usual three plus other stunted forage. Wait and see. Christmas prices may be pretty good but the quality may suffer because of younger animals coming to market.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I been thinking beef prices will take a big fall this winter. Lots of ranchers will run out of feed because of drought and will have to slaughter. Alfalfa was only providing two cuttings this year, not the usual three plus other stunted forage. Wait and see. Christmas prices may be pretty good but the quality may suffer because of younger animals coming to market.
That has zero effect on the price of beef at the store. Actually fed cattle prices just hit a multi year high this Friday of 1.40 cash. Don’t expect high quality beef to get cheaper anytime soon.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Demand for beef is steady, it is just now starting to shrink due to cost and inflation. Two things to watch are futures prices on Chicago Merc Exchange, then pick up a copy of the Capital Press and check auction prices for all the western US auctions. The Merc reflects the current demand snd forecast. I have family that run cattle in Eastern WA and Canada. Their sale prices are up less than 10% from 3 years ago. Fuel and feed up 45% and 25% respectively. If you want to avoid all political aspects your are ignoring realities, but lay them where they belong. Labor shortages in processing, trucking costs, fuel prices, USDA and states restricting small slaughter and processing to sales, and allowing virtual monopolies by conglomerates like Smithfield.
Well done. Glad to see someone who has some actual knowledge and understands the market make a post to inform those who do not. 👏👏

Reactions: IAHawkeye

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just stopped by a local grower yesterday that sells cuts as well as 1/4, 1/2 and whole. Black Angus grass fed and finished, prime grade. $17.75 lb. but is already sold out. Currently taking taking orders for next year and is about to sell out on those. I know it doesn't do you much good right now but thought it helpful with the price check.
Is the grower is saying that he is getting his beef to prime grade on grass? Is it USDA inspected? It is next to impossible to attain the fat content (marbling) required to attain a prime grade on grass. If he is finishing on grain then he can attain the necessary marbling to attain a prime grade. I have nothing against grass fed beef but it seems like there is a lot of misinformation by growers of grass fed beef.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I think just a hair overdone, but still delicious!

Food Tableware Dishware Plate Ingredient

41 - 60 of 63 Posts