IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't think it's way too early. Thanksgiving supplies and food where already being pushed and advertised at Winco at the beginning of October here in Albany. I expect them to be pushing the roast early also. I'm glad this got posted since I'll be looking for a roast in the next week and I'll be looking for the best deal. Yeah I am sure it will be over priced but man I can't pass up a nice smoked one for xmas dinner.
Its early for any real holiday sale prices. Always mid December or so for the good ones to come about

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hey, I’m a Boomer! Go easy!

For the closed oven method, I see both 5 and 6 minutes per pound at 500 F, then 2 hours and don’t even look at the oven.

So which you you prefer, 5 minutes per pound or 6?
5 minutes, done it many times on many roasts and works great each time. I guess 6 minutes would be good for someone lookin for a medium/well type cooking. The real key to this method is getting your roast out of the fridge early in the morning so it can get to or close to room temp before cooking.

Beef is expensive because beef demand Is very good and has been good for a few years really.
A good deal IMO would be a choice roast for $10 a lb. Gone are the days of $5/lb sales for choice product anyway. I think the challenge during the holidays is more about finding the best quality one versus just the best price. But to each their own. Deff one of the best threads of the year!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I believe it was $13.99 at Safeway today. Just FYI.
$12.99/lb.

I bought a beautiful 11.62 lb roast and got an additional 10% off since I got my second shingles shot. $11.69/lb for one of the best-looking roasts I’ve seen.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Demand for beef is steady, it is just now starting to shrink due to cost and inflation. Two things to watch are futures prices on Chicago Merc Exchange, then pick up a copy of the Capital Press and check auction prices for all the western US auctions. The Merc reflects the current demand snd forecast. I have family that run cattle in Eastern WA and Canada. Their sale prices are up less than 10% from 3 years ago. Fuel and feed up 45% and 25% respectively. If you want to avoid all political aspects your are ignoring realities, but lay them where they belong. Labor shortages in processing, trucking costs, fuel prices, USDA and states restricting small slaughter and processing to sales, and allowing virtual monopolies by conglomerates like Smithfield.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Demand for beef is steady, it is just now starting to shrink due to cost and inflation. Two things to watch are futures prices on Chicago Merc Exchange, then pick up a copy of the Capital Press and check auction prices for all the western US auctions. The Merc reflects the current demand snd forecast. I have family that run cattle in Eastern WA and Canada. Their sale prices are up less than 10% from 3 years ago. Fuel and feed up 45% and 25% respectively. If you want to avoid all political aspects your are ignoring realities, but lay them where they belong. Labor shortages in processing, trucking costs, fuel prices, USDA and states restricting small slaughter and processing to sales, and allowing virtual monopolies by conglomerates like Smithfield.
Nice. Simple facts and no political smear or name calling.
Thanks for getting this thread back to reports.
Now time for deals reports.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay, so 5 x 11.62 = 58 minutes at 500 F, then turn the oven off for 2 hours and don’t get within 3 feet of it.

I read that the roast doesn’t need to rest when I pull it from the oven. Also, be sure to remove it from the reefer at least a couple of hours before cooking time to let the internal temp approach room temp.

Reactions: Pacific Fisher

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I had a dream about a Rib Roast zzzzzzz zzzzzzz”It was Eating Me”
Wouldn’t that be a nightmare instead of a dream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Okay, so 5 x 11.62 = 58 minutes at 500 F, then turn the oven off for 2 hours and don’t get within 3 feet of it.

I read that the roast doesn’t need to rest when I pull it from the oven. Also, be sure to remove it from the reefer at least a couple of hours before cooking time to let the internal temp approach room temp.
If you let it rest after the two hours you will overcook it. cut and serve. The reason I like this method is we can time all the sides to be done at the same time.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
If you let it rest after the two hours you will overcook it. cut and serve. The reason I like this method is we can time all the sides to be done at the same time.
I prefer the reverse sear method for the exact reason that you can time all the sides to be ready. You can let the roast rest as long as you want while all the sides are prepped, then throw the roast in to sear for fifteen minutes when everyone is ready to gather and serve it immediately, sizzling and beautiful.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

This is the Method I used last year for my first prime rib. It turned out great. I did let it rest just a bit maybe 10-15. I just couldn’t slice into it immediately. I’ll be cooking another here the same way in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Last December Safeway had whole rib roasts for sale for $6.97/lb. Vacuum packed in heavy plastic. I bought one and put it in the freezer, where it has been since. Think it’s still good?

Font Material property Paper Rectangle Label

Reactions: Fool4FishnHuntn

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I got one of those Safeway $7 a pound roasts and did not look if Choice or select. I think was select as was not the tenderest roast. Tasted good, but was not really up to my Christmas standards.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts