IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s that time of year, or not. I saw bone-in Choice grade SRR at Costco for $16.69/lb. Will we see decent roasts under $10/lb this year?

Post the deals when you see them.

• Haha
Reactions: Revulshawn

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It’s that time of year, or not. I saw bone-in Choice grade SRR at Costco for $16.69/lb. Will we see decent roasts under $10/lb this year?

Post the deals when you see them.
Nope. Beef prices are thru the roof. Another thing Brandon didn’t do. Ridiculous. I’ll eat great pork or chicken before I pay that kind of money. Seriously I can’t understand why Beef is so high. Been that way for awhile. I’m perfectly happy with a great hamburger that I buy from Carlton Farms. :) 🇺🇸

• Love
Reactions: IAHawkeye and Smj

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I googled standing rib roast Eugene and got a hit from Fred Meyer. $10.99/lb for bone-in, Choice.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Way to officially early for an official rib roast post... it should start officially being official sale priced in approx 3 weeks.. 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes:
You are correct. I'm not sure if Fred Meyers still has a yearly roast sale but it usually started a couple weeks after Thanksgiving. Select or Choice. Neither of which do justice to being called a Standing Rib Roast IMHO. At todays prices I'll look at other options. For those that are OK with it ask the folks behind the meat counter when the sale will start next time you are there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Nope. Beef prices are thru the roof. Another thing Brandon didn’t do. Ridiculous. I’ll eat great pork or chicken before I pay that kind of money. Seriously I can’t understand why Beef is so high. Been that way for awhile. I’m perfectly happy with a great hamburger that I buy from Carlton Farms. :) 🇺🇸
You are blaming beef prices on the current administration? Regardless of what one thinks of the guys, that is a real stretch. (And did we have to make one of the posts I look forward to every year political?)🙄

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Used to do prime rib, but not this year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Way to officially early for an official rib roast post... it should start officially being official sale priced in approx 3 weeks.. 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes:
I don't think it's way too early. Thanksgiving supplies and food where already being pushed and advertised at Winco at the beginning of October here in Albany. I expect them to be pushing the roast early also. I'm glad this got posted since I'll be looking for a roast in the next week and I'll be looking for the best deal. Yeah I am sure it will be over priced but man I can't pass up a nice smoked one for xmas dinner.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You are blaming beef prices on the current administration? Regardless of what one thinks of the guys, that is a real stretch. (And did we have to make one of the posts I look forward to every year political?)🙄
Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. I also stated that it had been “that way” for awhile. Not political. But since you brought it up I think “the guys” that are really in charge are responsible for a lot of things. None of them good. That’s no stretch by any means. I sure hope you find that perfect Rib Roast. Better hurry though prices are going up as we speak. Just sayin. :) 🇺🇸

Reactions: lingslayer

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I think there will still be some deals the week or two ahead of Christmas. Beef prices aren’t controlled by market but rather collusion with some market input. The costing at ranch level increases but pricing does not keep up while prices do go up at the processor level. There have been COVID influences on the processor but I’d still expect $6-7 per # prices on select and choice grade roasts.

There are increasing numbers of small producers entering the market and that should help. There is one in Jefferson that runs the ranch and retail location but contracts out for USDA processing. I’d look at one of those shops ahead of the large retailer sales.

I’ll be checking back here for intel on sales.

Reactions: Sirfishalots

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Must be the fault of the FDA--- or is it FDT--????:)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I buy what the restaurants buy...... Cash and Carry aka The Chefs Store
They have never done me wrong (y)
If its to big I cut and Vac a piece or for steaks for the freezer.
We tried Chef's Store meat for the first time the other day.
Had always bought Costco meat but the prices have skyrocketed.
April 2021 paid $19.99/lb. for Beef Tenderloin, in October it was $24.99/lb.
Went to Chef's Store and picked one up for $14.79/lb

We did a taste test with the two and felt they were equal.
I plan to shop there more.
$10/lb less is a huge savings for my budget.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. I also stated that it had been “that way” for awhile. Not political. But since you brought it up I think “the guys” that are really in charge are responsible for a lot of things. None of them good. That’s no stretch by any means. I sure hope you find that perfect Rib Roast. Better hurry though prices are going up as we speak. Just sayin. :) 🇺🇸
How come the first response a guy offers after a joke that isn’t funny and isn’t appropriate is to tell others to lighten up? This is a fun (amd often useful) holiday post and no one wants to bring in politics to discussions of good meat. Newsflash- not everything is the fault of others, politicians or otherwise. Look around and I bet you will find yourself a deal or even 2. Oh, and make sure to come back on here and thank Brandon when you find a good price because if he is responsible for bad prices he would obviously be responsible for good ones too. 😉

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
How come the first response a guy offers after a joke that isn’t funny and isn’t appropriate is to tell others to lighten up? This is a fun (amd often useful) holiday post and no one wants to bring in politics to discussions of good meat. Newsflash- not everything is the fault of others, politicians or otherwise. Look around and I bet you will find yourself a deal or even 2. Oh, and make sure to come back on here and thank Brandon when you find a good price because if he is responsible for bad prices he would obviously be responsible for good ones too.
Because Boomers don’t like being called out in public perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, I’m a Boomer! Go easy!

For the closed oven method, I see both 5 and 6 minutes per pound at 500 F, then 2 hours and don’t even look at the oven.

So which you you prefer, 5 minutes per pound or 6?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
How come the first response a guy offers after a joke that isn’t funny and isn’t appropriate is to tell others to lighten up? This is a fun (amd often useful) holiday post and no one wants to bring in politics to discussions of good meat. Newsflash- not everything is the fault of others, politicians or otherwise. Look around and I bet you will find yourself a deal or even 2. Oh, and make sure to come back on here and thank Brandon when you find a good price because if he is responsible for bad prices he would obviously be responsible for good ones too. 😉
I’m sorry I tainted your meat thread . I’ll try and not do that in the future. If and that’s a big if and when “He” and the rest of his pals do ANYTHING good you’ll be the first to know and I’ll be the first to say so. How’s that? Further I was raised on a beef farm so I don’t think I need anyone to tell me whether it is a good cut or a good price. I think for the most part you get what you pay for. Have a great day. :) 🇺🇸

1 - 20 of 63 Posts