IFish Fishing Forum banner

801 - 820 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
A Columbia summer 'nook is a different fish than a CR/Snake spring. Larger on average, and much brighter. Similar, I suppose, to a Northern mallard being larger with brighter orange feet than locally produced, yellowish legged mallards.
The answer is still the same how do you know?

·
Registered
847 Posts
imagejpeg_0(126).jpg
The answer is still the same how do you know?
The way I was tought by a friend who is a fish checker and biologist is by the tail, Columbia River Springer has many spots on both bottom and top of fin, a Columbia River summer salmon has very few if any spots and mainly on top of the fin if any..pics show a summer with no spots, and I am holding a Columbia River Springer showing the spots on tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Fished early and had to leave early today. First fish was on at 440 and lost at the boat 445 then did a long line release at around 730ish. We had a few drive byes but were very soft bites possibly not salmon. The boats around us were hooking fish as well. We were all anchored in 25-30ft of water and all using different sizes and colors of wrapped kwiks. Hope everyone hooks up today!!!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Fished early and had to leave early today. First fish was on at 440 and lost at the boat 445 then did a long line release at around 730ish. We had a few drive byes but were very soft bites possibly not salmon. The boats around us were hooking fish as well. We were all anchored in 25-30ft of water and all using different sizes and colors of wrapped kwiks. Hope everyone hooks up today!!!!
That is an early start! If you don’t mind sharing, we’re you in a hog line or spaced out? Are you dropping of anchor or fighting them still tied off? Thanks

Reactions: Towguy

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
enjoyed anchoring inline with you guys again. I was the inside boat.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Buddy and I fished up stream of Chinook Landing yesterday. Tried a few different spots and people around us were catching, us not so lucky. Went 0/1 with a couple drivebye’s. I also hooked my first Shad while fishing for salmon. Hooked on a 3.5 bronco spinner. Got to our first spot by 0600 yesterday and already 4 boats on the line. Pushed us out almost 10’ feet more than we like. Last week showed up later and only one other boat there.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That is an early start! If you don’t mind sharing, we’re you in a hog line or spaced out? Are you dropping of anchor or fighting them still tied off? Thanks
Started as a solo boat but a small hog line of 4 boats formed soon after. We try to drop off anchor to fight them but the one we lost at the boat we remained anchored due to early morning chaos

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
My wife and I fished the Columbia tonight from 4:30-8:00 pm. The Columbia ranged from 64.5 F to 67F.

We cooked bratwurst for dinner.

We had a couple bites fishing shallower than 20 ft. Got a big one on a coon shrimp... fought strong and heavy... and smoothly, but no long surging, fast runs... then the old Fenwick FS 85 that has been missing 3” from the tip for years - it’s reel seat loosened and I retightened a couple times ... it folded... I struggled to put on some zip ties... didn’t work ... saw it was a big sturgeon... we teamed together/ I held reel, Ellen the fore grip and cranking on reel... didn’t release from anchor... got it in and released unharmed.

6 ft+ white sturgeon finishes off the rod, but I got my pink Bling Wing back (30 lb leader).

No salmon.

No sturgeon pics.

CW

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It's never a dull moment at Cathedral. Put in no problem at 15:00 and ran down to the big C. I'm not sure why but I never get bit on the hook when the wind is blowing, last night included. Come back at 20:00 and find the ramp blocked and Sherriff's department divers in the water.

"Where can I take out??"

--Not Here

Thanks to the guys at Fred's who gave me a ride across the bridge. Nice to find good people

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I heard it was the car, boat and unfortunately the driver too they were trying to recover, but I don't have many details.

801 - 820 of 906 Posts