IFish Fishing Forum banner

781 - 800 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
18 rod hours Sat.... one for two. Killed a dinker Wille fish with a nekkid tail that was still in digestive hyperdrive. Partially digested ocean sandlances still in her stomach... intestine and pyloric cecae loaded with dark nastiness.

28 rod hours today.... NO LOVE.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
2/3 on wrapped k14 and kf14. In a spot not far from a place that’s near an island. Saw a couple caught near by. 3 hits in 22fow, then 1 hit in 18fow after the rarely well executed move to find fish after having found fish. +/- 22 rod hours.
View attachment 955912
Ahhhhhhhh....the eyeFISH large fish filet method!!! :love: (y)

·
Registered
38,384 Posts
I’ve tried it on smaller fish (silvers) and it’s a bit tricky. Different knife, fewer pieces, takes practice. Big fish are a whole lot easier. I leave the meat on the ribs if I’m going to smoke it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We fished 7 1/2 hours on Sunday trolling everything from cph to spinners. Marked a few fish but no takers. From what I saw it seemed like plunking yesterday was the way to go.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,875 Posts
Late report:

My son and I launched out of Kalama on Saturday. Before we got to the marina, I stopped at the Kalama Chevron for sandwiches, ice, etc. On a whim, I bought a $10 scratch off lottery ticket. (Haven’t bought any lotto tickets in years) when I got back to the truck, I told my son to scratch the ticket for me. A few minutes later, he says, “Dad! I won $100!” Well that was a nice way to start the day!

We finally put the boat in the water and headed downstream a little before 7am. The water was fairly smooth, so I let my son run the boat for a while.

Found a small hogline below Prescott and anchored on the outside of the three other boats in 23’fow.

At 8am, my son’s rod buries and starts peeling line. He grabbed the rod and the fish makes a few runs and breaks the surface a few times. He got the fish within 10’ of the boat, but it came unbuttoned. Not sure what happened, my son seemed to be keeping decent pressure on it. The fish hit a goldish/copper and orange tiger striped K14 (don’t know the color names) scented with ProCure Salmon blend gel. My son had picked it out, and I almost told him to try a different color, but let him fish what he wanted.

Around 8:30, I had a short series of “soft hits” on a tiny bling wing and coon shrimp. Rod would start to load up, then nothing. A few moments later, it would do the same. On the third or fourth time, I grabbed the rod and reeled down, but nothing. Coon shrimp was mangled.

That was all for us for the rest of the day. The boat second closest to shore caught keeper chinook at about 9:15 and 10. (Both on kwikfish). The boat next to us had a strike like mine with no hookup.

We came off anchor around 11 and trolled up and down and all around until late afternoon. We anchored up again in our morning spot, but no other action for us or witnessed.

All in all, it was a good father and son day. Started with a winning scratch off ticket and him hooking the only fish of the day. We are still fairly new to fishing the Columbia, so we consider hooked and lost fish to be a check in the win column.

Only saw a few sea lions and witnessed a big tugboat establishing dominance over a smaller one. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Late report:

My son and I launched out of Kalama on Saturday. Before we got to the marina, I stopped at the Kalama Chevron for sandwiches, ice, etc. On a whim, I bought a $10 scratch off lottery ticket. (Haven’t bought any lotto tickets in years) when I got back to the truck, I told my son to scratch the ticket for me. A few minutes later, he says, “Dad! I won $100!” Well that was a nice way to start the day!

We finally put the boat in the water and headed downstream a little before 7am. The water was fairly smooth, so I let my son run the boat for a while.

Found a small hogline below Prescott and anchored on the outside of the three other boats in 23’fow.

At 8am, my son’s rod buries and starts peeling line. He grabbed the rod and the fish makes a few runs and breaks the surface a few times. He got the fish within 10’ of the boat, but it came unbuttoned. Not sure what happened, my son seemed to be keeping decent pressure on it. The fish hit a goldish/copper and orange tiger striped K14 (don’t know the color names) scented with ProCure Salmon blend gel. My son had picked it out, and I almost told him to try a different color, but let him fish what he wanted.

Around 8:30, I had a short series of “soft hits” on a tiny bling wing and coon shrimp. Rod would start to load up, then nothing. A few moments later, it would do the same. On the third or fourth time, I grabbed the rod and reeled down, but nothing. Coon shrimp was mangled.

That was all for us for the rest of the day. The boat second closest to shore caught keeper chinook at about 9:15 and 10. (Both on kwikfish). The boat next to us had a strike like mine with no hookup.

We came off anchor around 11 and trolled up and down and all around until late afternoon. We anchored up again in our morning spot, but no other action for us or witnessed.

All in all, it was a good father and son day. Started with a winning scratch off ticket and him hooking the only fish of the day. We are still fairly new to fishing the Columbia, so we consider hooked and lost fish to be a check in the win column.

Only saw a few sea lions and witnessed a big tugboat establishing dominance over a smaller one. Haha

iCloud

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Late report:

That sounds like a great day!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Late report:

reminds me of fishing with my dad and why I’m addicted now to fishing

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,875 Posts
Went out yesterday with a buddy and my son. Need to get a paternity test because he enjoyed getting up at 0430. We ended 2/3 with a couple drivebye’s and a pair of panties. Fished a few miles up from Chinook Landing in a couple different spots.

View attachment 956021 View attachment 956022
That first pic is 100% frame worthy! Congrats!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I went out for a couple hours after work to make a couple passes at the mouth of a tributary. No takes on the trolled 360 spinner or BSCB/tuna.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I might have found the secret. You have to do anchor and fish for steelhead when chinook are closed. Kicked back two hatchery chinook caught on a steelhead prawn set up.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Out for the long weekend. Hopefully those fish are still around next week.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I might have found the secret. You have to do anchor and fish for steelhead when chinook are closed. Kicked back two hatchery chinook caught on a steelhead prawn set up.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Out for the long weekend. Hopefully those fish are still around next week.
Ouch! Well it figures.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Kind of like saying you know what province or state the mallard you just shot came from????
A Columbia summer 'nook is a different fish than a CR/Snake spring. Larger on average, and much brighter. Similar, I suppose, to a Northern mallard being larger with brighter orange feet than locally produced, yellowish legged mallards.

781 - 800 of 906 Posts