Discussion Starter #1
OK let's start...
I haven’t even tried….. unless dreaming counts:meme::meme:
We need a place keeper though.
Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I’ll post some reports in about 5-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,594 Posts
And so it begins...

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
After last season I ain’t even trying until June.
A January Springer is a true Unicorn and that’s not from a lack of trying. Believe me.
Here’s to the spirit of this thread!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
First things first, there is still ducks to be killed then a few coolers of kokanee to get before we start with springers .. let's not wish our seasons away spring will be here fast enough.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I'm ready to turn little fish into big fish!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I'm ready to turn little fish into big fish!

You found some!!
See you soon

Yes definitely way early and I have never Springer fished much before Mid March but maybe one or two times . Mid March even way early but those early CR Springers taste good....
If clamming is closed this spring I’ll probably be at it a lot for something to do.....

Maybe the forecast is off and more will show....
Wishfully thinking........
Question is will we be able to fish below Warrior??????

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
That Point Defiance herring looks like it came from Tackle time. Gene has/gets good baits. I'll buy from him when the time comes but there are days/weeks/months to wait for the infamous Springer... I shutter to think if Jay or Kate will even let us fish. I'm holding off on buying that license until I hear more from them.

I haven't seen any sign of smelt coming through just yet either. Springers and sturgeon follow the smelt run but lower estuary predation might beat out any chances for a season down low. Time will tell.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You found some!!
See you soon

Yes definitely way early and I have never Springer fished much before Mid March but maybe one or two times . Mid March even way early but those early CR Springers taste good....
If clamming is closed this spring I’ll probably be at it a lot for something to do.....

Maybe the forecast is off and more will show....
Wishfully thinking........
Question is will we be able to fish below Warrior??????

I do not need all that stuff , I will just buy a gill net boat . That way I can do what ever I feel like doing .

·
Registered
712 Posts
Derrick.... You might have to just come up around my area again this next season just try and pick a better day this time lol.

·
Registered
757 Posts
First week of May for me.....limited trying the first couple of weeks then balls to the wall for the next couple of months. Tagged our last fish Aug 4 last summer.....bring them on.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Escapements are what to look for because the fish seem to find their way back around/about that time. I remember getting started fishing for Springers around the second week of March. There were some bitter cold days out there but some guys were out fishing months earlier. I called them crazy back then... Now I am one.

I know that release dates have varied but I don't think fish are as strict on their returns these days. The dam cam count gives us a lot of info as far as fish movement is concerned but frankly once they're that far up they've already gone by the lower river tributaries and hatcheries. It's a guessing game when they come but being there "on that one day" and bringing one home is addictive. One thing for sure...when fisheries decides to close the season you'd better be out there before then.

Just my take on this Springer fishing game and I'm sticking to it. :palm: :whistle:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well had the boat for 12+ years and the springer eluded me, lived here 15-16 years an have yet to catch one. Divorce forced sale of the boat and this year I’m determined to get my first one from the bank... if I get the first one while plunking for winter steelhead I’m buying a lotto ticket.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Not me. Haven’t bought an Oregon License in 5 years. Last year we couldn’t fish the Willy to.

You haven't missed much. Honestly, the first time I heard of someone buying an Oregon license to fish the Willamette specifically, I thought it was a joke. My friends & I have actually discussed buying Washington licenses so we could fish some of YOUR rivers during that time.

For every grip & grin you see there are 20 people walking across the parking lot kicking rocks.
Don't get me wrong. I'll be out there......later......with expectations of a GREAT day on the water.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts