IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

Registered
Really, my favorite lure to use is bobber stop beads. I do 3 chartreuse and a pink by the hook. Top ot off with a rubber bobber stop, and you have an irresistible shad killer. My second fave is 1/16th Oz. Shad dart. Let a few rocks scuff off some paint and it becomes even more deadly. I may not be a smart man, but I figure if I have Asians bow to me as I leave the hole, I must be somewhat decent at shad. 馃榿

Coastal, sounds like we fish similar styles. Let me know when you plan on going sometime and maybe we can hook up. 馃帲

Registered
Old school riggin.......
. Pencil lead slipped up 3 ft of mainline, crimp it off and tie your jig/lure on. No swivels. If it's snaggy run a dropper with pencil lead and barely crimp it. Fish it like driftfishing for steelhead. Pencil lead slides off fairly easy when snagged up.

Registered
You definitely don鈥檛 have to be on the bottom to catch them from the bank. From a boat, the magic dropper length is 24-36鈥 so they鈥檙e of the bottom

Registered
Really, my favorite lure to use is bobber stop beads. I do 3 chartreuse and a pink by the hook. Top ot off with a rubber bobber stop, and you have an irresistible shad killer. My second fave is 1/16th Oz. Shad dart. Let a few rocks scuff off some paint and it becomes even more deadly. I may not be a smart man, but I figure if I have Asians bow to me as I leave the hole, I must be somewhat decent at shad. 馃榿

Coastal, sounds like we fish similar styles. Let me know when you plan on going sometime and maybe we can hook up. 馃帲
Roger Wilco Whet One
We can make that happen (y)

Registered
Any recent reports on the Willy? Was thinking about trying it tomorrow morning...Loaded up on all the lead sinkers, jigs, and swivels I need for about a days worth of losing gear lol.

Registered
I tried my 100% spot on Wednesday evening on the Willy. 4 rods, 2 hours, not a sniff. I did take the time to re-tie all my gear so it wasn鈥檛 a waste.

Premium Member
Glad to see someone fired up a shad thread this year. I've started the OFFICIAL thread the last few years but decided to take a break. One caution, the two rod rule is for upstream of the falls. Garbage Hole and mouth of the Clackamas is one rod according to the ODFW notice I received. Yep, just checked and it opens today, May 1st, for Willamette and tribs above the falls. Have fun with them, it's a great fishery for the kids and shad transform into crab and halibut.

Registered
Glad to see someone fired up a shad thread this year. I've started the OFFICIAL thread the last few years but decided to take a break. One caution, the two rod rule is for upstream of the falls. Garbage Hole and mouth of the Clackamas is one rod according to the ODFW notice I received. Yep, just checked and it opens today, May 1st, for Willamette and tribs above the falls. Have fun with them, it's a great fishery for the kids and shad transform into crab and halibut.
Might want to recheck the 2 rod rule Don, it's open all the way down the willy on the slough.

Registered
I do a count method that works like a charm and you'll get them almost every cast. I chose a marker across the river upstream of me. I cast as far as I can to that marker and then count to ten and start slow retrieve. No fish, I do the same thing and count to 12. I do that till I hit a fish. Then its that number and its on cast after cast. It is a precise way of targeting the fish at the line they swim in and the depth that they are at. I only lose lures to line being nicked with fish on or ending my hook time after time because of fish. try it.

Premium Member
Might want to recheck the 2 rod rule Don, it's open all the way down the willy on the slough.
It has been in prior years, but this is the email notice I got two days ago.

"
Two rods allowed in upper Willamette starting May 1

Thu, Apr 29, 2:01 PM (2 days ago)

You are subscribed to News Releases for ODFW. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

Oregon Fish and Wildlife
April 29, 2021
SALEM, Ore.鈥擜nglers with the two-rod validation will be able to use two rods in the upper Willamette River beginning on May 1, under a temporary rule adopted by ODFW.
Effective May 1 through Aug. 15 for anglers with the validation, two rods can be used in all areas of the Willamette River above Willamette Falls, including tributaries, when area is open to fishing for hatchery Chinook, hatchery steelhead, trout, warmwater gamefish or all non-game fish except sturgeon.
Fishing for sturgeon remains restricted to the use of one rod per angler.
Two-rod validations cost $28 for both residents and non-residents. Licensed anglers who purchase the validation can use two rods wherever regulations allow them, which is primarily in ponds and lakes. When possible, ODFW extends the validations to specific streams like it did under this temporary rule.
Kids under the age of 12 do not need a validation to use a second rod in areas where two rods are authorized.
For the latest fishing regulations, see the Fishing Report for your Angling Zone in ODFW鈥檚 Recreation Report, https://myodfw.com/recreation-report/fishing-report/
###​
Michelle Dennehy, (503) 931-2748, [email protected]

Premium Member
Ah, I get it. The upstream is ADDED to the already existing two rod rule downstream. Where's that head-slap emoti? Shad is the only fresh water fishing I do except maybe Yaquina Bay herring. Sorry to insert confusion.

Registered
FROM ODFW:
March 1 through August 15, two-rod validation is allowed in the Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls, including the Multnomah Channel.
May 1 through August 15, two-rod validation is allowed in the Willamette River upstream of Willamette Falls.
Please see below for additional information.

I think what you read was "in addition to" the the channel up the the Falls being open to the two-rod endorsement.

Registered
Report from yesterday in OC. Nothing for two hours and throwing everything short of the kitchen sink at them. Going again on Tuesday.

Registered
I caught one Yesterday at The Lower Channel while Salmon fishing.
Surprised me, that thing chased down a SpinFish behind a 360 being trolled downriver near mph.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts