IFish Fishing Forum banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
How was the weeds in OC willamette?
Highly recommend the Columbia for Shad.
Its going to be more "Bang for your Buck" from here on in.

We haven't even reached the High point yet.
5.5 million shad crossed Bonny last year.
7 Million shad crossed Bonny the year before.

Bulk of the run sees 400k going over in a single day (400k 0ver means, many more than that staging below the dam).
Around that same number usually last for a week.
200k - 400k days are the "Real" Stupid crazy Fun.
Fish on most every cast and filling bucks of fish like "As many stars in the Sky"
( Beaver trapping line from Jerimiah Johnson Movie)

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Hound dog, I know the Columbia is the best spot, but hard to put the drifter in that monster. 😃

Hooksetter, that's good news. Around salem, the willy is the worst weedy as I've ever seen.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Eleven shad in a little over an hour last night. Washington side of river at Bonneville. Yes, a fair number of people but enough space to have fun. 1/2 ounce sinker and a small chartreuse jig.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I prefer the Willamette more so as it's more of a challenge and way less crowding. Wasn't much in the way of moss last weekend at OC. Going to give it a shot tonight I think...

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Fishing was great monday afternoon, I bonked 63 shad solo in just over an hour and a half on the CR. Most of the time I couldn't get to the bottom before I had fish on, and if the first fish popped off it was only seconds until another would grab on. I probably hooked 80 or 90 fish, some of the best fun I've had in some time.

Sunday afternoon a buddy and I fished the same area, I think we got 52 in the same time frame. That was much more reasonable fishing, you could sit down every now and again.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Fishing was great monday afternoon, I bonked 63 shad solo in just over an hour and a half on the CR. Most of the time I couldn't get to the bottom before I had fish on, and if the first fish popped off it was only seconds until another would grab on. I probably hooked 80 or 90 fish, some of the best fun I've had in some time.

Sunday afternoon a buddy and I fished the same area, I think we got 52 in the same time frame. That was much more reasonable fishing, you could sit down every now and again.
👍
First word fishermen problems. 😅

·
Registered
66 Posts
yep!!! Weird that an invasive fish that is not regulated by WDFW and ODFW and not raised in hatcheries thrives here and in the ocean!
but anything the state touches and tries to “help out” it fails. 🤔

Used to be more salmon per year way back in the day (based on estimates) than the number of shad we see today. Must have been amazing...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
yep!!! Weird that an invasive fish that is not regulated by WDFW and ODFW and not raised in hatcheries thrives here and in the ocean!
but anything the state touches and tries to “help out” it fails. 🤔
Introduced and invasive species fill gaps that native species don’t utilize. Shad (along with lots of other introduced species) are well adapted to the multiple warm reservoirs on the Columbia. They also don’t have any native predators that have evolved specifically to target them. It’s not a mystery or lack of skill/effort on the part of the state. There was an unfilled niche that Shad fill perfectly.

It’s kind of like salmon and steelhead in the Great Lakes taking over what had historically been Mackinaw habitat. The Mackinaw habitat was polluted, they were commercially fished to the brink of extinction, and saltwater lamprey that hammered the Mackinaw were introduced when they connected the St Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes. Salmon and steelhead were introduced in an effort to control the lamprey and took off from there because there was lots of unfilled coldwater habitat that was ideal suited for them.

Invasive species thrive in altered environments.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Went out yesterday evening...boy was it more crowded then a weekend trip...Some peoples manners and willingness to help in a situation seem to be lacking...I think they like to sit high on their mountain top...beats me.

Anyway...yesterday wasn't my day lol. Current seemed pretty dang fast so the weight was a toss up...I caught one in an hour and called it after the rains came in...the misses didn't like getting wet while reading lol. My buddy next to me went 5/5 casts and caught plenty more...he's a pro for sure.

Will most likely hit it again next week sometime...headed to Timothy to see if the crawdads like the shad as much as crab...hoping so as I have a bunch of mouths to feed...10 pots should do it for an overnight soak.

·
Registered
618 Posts
We went out of Dodson yesterday. Shad Rack was crazy full of boats...
Was not safe to try to anchor between all the boats with the current ripping.

So we had to go find other water down river. Finally found a line where the fish were traveling...ended up keeping 49 shad fishing from 3:30 - 6:30.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has posted. Fished OC for shad today. First time ever. Trolled and landed 18. Lost another 10-15. Mostly solo fishing. Had a friend join me for an hour while he was on lunch break. What a fun fishery!

Magnum brads diver, 5 ft 8lb leader and a pink jig head with chartreuse grub.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Spent three hours in the OC area with the family and landed 30 or so. Would have been a much higher count if I wasn't untangling rigs every other cast LOL! Chrome Dick Nite spoons with a chartreuse tip were the hot ticket. They are in, go get'em.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
55 shad for 6 hours of effort with 2 people in OC yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Nice!
What was working good?
Dropper length?
Grass was bad last week. Did the rain flush it out some?
Above or below the Clacksmas?
Going to take out my nephews from Arizona tomorrow morning. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
55 shad for 6 hours of effort with 2 people in OC yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Good work, I saw what seemed like a select few boats doing OK yesterday at OC. I decided to just do recon, watch boats and cast from the shore with my kid. There were some bank anglers around but it was interesting that none had coolers or buckets - I think the prior expectation of not catching any fish was realized. For me too...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Nice!
What was working good?
Dropper length?
Grass was bad last week. Did the rain flush it out some?
Above or below the Clacksmas?
Going to take out my nephews from Arizona tomorrow morning. Thanks
I‘ll be out there tomorrow morning with a buddy in my 17’ open Alumaweld. We will try for springers first thing then switch to shad. Last couple of weeks wee dick nites in brass/chartreuse on a 24” dropper got the job done, near the mouth of the Clack. Grass hasn’t been horrible yet. PM me tomorrow morning if you’d like, I’m glad to share info real time if it helps.

241 - 260 of 298 Posts