IFish Fishing Forum banner

221 - 240 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hacked up a few last year attempting to debone... If you ever feel like you're real good with a knife, try deboning shad. Wow.

Ate those breaded and fried and they were delicious. Also pickled a small one, it lasted about 30 minutes after I cracked the jar. Whole family loved it. I also fried the roe with scrambled eggs, an acquired taste but I thought it was great, there is something sausage-like about it.

I'm going to smoke and can a bunch this year. Please post any additional tips for smoking/canning, and thanks to those who already posted.

Also, has anyone canned pickled fish? Any recipes/tips on that would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Again, how I wish that the salmon were the same as shad numbers. 😢
Last spring was on the back ol my property ,found a bunch of Salmon/steelhead ,3”-4” long in a small pool that was drying up and they had no way to get back to main creek.Asked F&G if they could come and collect them and save them ,they didn’t want to ,and if I moved them would be cited😳😡.Then I see a local outdoor writer for a local newspaper with a F&G guy doing what I wanted to do .These are all wild fish according to the old timers around 🤷🏿‍♂️😳.What a waste again

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
My wife hated deer, elk, and salmon when I first met her because her Mom resented having to cook what my FIL brought home. She'd over cook the heck out of it until it was dry as a board. The first time I had some game she cooked I could barely choke it down. I volunteered to braise an elk shoulder roast for the family the next time we got together and immediately won over my FIL and earned the scorn of my MIL for ruining her game. I also got the green light to hunt and fish as long as I brought home something to put on the table.

The point of the story is Shad, just like Elk, can be totally messed up by someone that doesn't know how to cook it. My family settled in the Delaware River Valley when they immigrated from Italy. They were visibly offended when I told them people only kept Shad for bait because the runs had crashed and the remaining fish were heavily protected. To them it would be like us catching Salmon just to use as crab bait.

Google "how to fillet shad" and a couple of recipes. After all, they're just Giant Herring.
Very good Information twofister and I respect the thinking of old country people. My family was from the middle east and waste was also against any and all beliefs. As a matter of fact all try anything "well almost" once! I had a grandfather who found out I had shot a woodpecker about 50 years ago. I ended up cleaning and eating it with him over seeing every step!
Needless to say like shad we don't catch more than we can "USE" (key word use). We were always taught there are starving people and we don't waste . To this day I do my best..
Thanks for sharing your story!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Very good Information twofister and I respect the thinking of old country people. My family was from the middle east and waste was also against any and all beliefs. As a matter of fact all try anything "well almost" once! I had a grandfather who found out I had shot a woodpecker about 50 years ago. I ended up cleaning and eating it with him over seeing every step!
Needless to say like shad we don't catch more than we can "USE" (key word use). We were always taught there are starving people and we don't waste . To this day I do my best..
Thanks for sharing your story!
Think I was 6-7 got a Sheridan 22-5mm pellet rifle .I would sit on a hill ,cans of pellets open ,Robins etc .were on the list .Would load them in buckets ,hike down to ranch house ,give em to my Ggrandma , she would pluck away,feathers all over the porch in the house 😂👍🏻.She give me a kiss say something in Italian and give me two more cans of lead 😁😎.They had some long handled stakes and roast the birds in the fireplace in family ,think all the guests thought they were doves and Quail 😂.Coulda been some of those in there also .But not a woodpecker 😂🤷🏿‍♂️😁.My grandma always said there were no birds anywhere after I was on the Ranch .But to get a squirrel was a big deal ,still have my Benjamin and Blue streak ,Sheridan 😎

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Think I was 6-7 got a Sheridan 22-5mm pellet rifle .I would sit on a hill ,cans of pellets open ,Robins etc .were on the list .Would load them in buckets ,hike down to ranch house ,give em to my Ggrandma , she would pluck away,feathers all over the porch in the house 😂👍🏻.She give me a kiss say something in Italian and give me two more cans of lead 😁😎.They had some long handled stakes and roast the birds in the fireplace in family ,think all the guests thought they were doves and Quail 😂.Coulda been some of those in there also .But not a woodpecker 😂🤷🏿‍♂️😁.My grandma always said there were no birds anywhere after I was on the Ranch .But to get a squirrel was a big deal ,still have my Benjamin and Blue streak ,Sheridan 😎
Me and my brother pretty much lived like you mentioned... what a life it was, the old pellet gun brings back fond memories! Birds and gray diggers were on the move when they flew by the farm!😂😂
Get off the school bus grab somthing out of the fridge and go hunting!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Me and my brother pretty much lived like you mentioned... what a life it was, the old pellet gun brings back fond memories! Birds and gray diggers were on the move when they flew by the farm!😂😂
Get off the school bus grab somthing out of the fridge and go hunting!
We never had much for ground squirrels , my dad worked them over when he was a kid on the ranch .Was a perfect hill that the squirrels lived on ,they had an really nice giant old vice on a table ,my dad would gently put the target 69A Winchester and bust a cap .Someone ended up needing the vice more than me years back 😡🤷🏿‍♂️.When birds were scarce we would go up to our pond and shoot dragonflies ,my grandma would say sure is quiet around here ,not a peep ,nothing flying ,Jesus 😂

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am total Newbie that never fished shad. Is there enough current to anchor in Coon Island part of channel or do you troll?
We were anchored. Plenty of current on outgoing tide, started to slow down a few hours after low tide. Did have a few trollers play through the area, zig-zagging across the area slowly trolling upstream. They got a few that I saw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going to smoke and can a bunch this year. Please post any additional tips for smoking/canning, and thanks to those who already posted.
My family completely replaced canned tuna fish from the grocery store with canned shad last year (and already canned enough for this coming year).
Bleed the fish as soon as you catch it, keep it on ice, filet and skin, smoke for an hour on the pellet grill, then pressure can with a little sea salt.
It makes delicious sandwiches by making a spread with pickle, onion and mayo.
A lot of people on here poopoo it, but as has already been said, if you prepare it correctly it's quite good. My whole family gobbles it up.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Need some shad for halibut.

Eugene to Salem, if anyone needs to unload a few.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
My family completely replaced canned tuna fish from the grocery store with canned shad last year (and already canned enough for this coming year).
Bleed the fish as soon as you catch it, keep it on ice, filet and skin, smoke for an hour on the pellet grill, then pressure can with a little sea salt.
It makes delicious sandwiches by making a spread with pickle, onion and mayo.
A lot of people on here poopoo it, but as has already been said, if you prepare it correctly it's quite good. My whole family gobbles it up.
Add red wine vinegar and pickle juice , you’re welcome👍🏻😁

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
-I live in Aurora and can give you Shad. It’s about 20 minutes north of Salem.
I’ll be in Salem Thursday, I’ll send a pm with my number, thanks!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
We never had much for ground squirrels , my dad worked them over when he was a kid on the ranch .Was a perfect hill that the squirrels lived on ,they had an really nice giant old vice on a table ,my dad would gently put the target 69A Winchester and bust a cap .Someone ended up needing the vice more than me years back 😡🤷🏿‍♂️.When birds were scarce we would go up to our pond and shoot dragonflies ,my grandma would say sure is quiet around here ,not a peep ,nothing flying ,Jesus 😂
😂😂😂😂👍

221 - 240 of 298 Posts