IFish Fishing Forum banner

201 - 220 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What do people use for Shad from the bank on Washington side at the dam? Going to do it for the 1st time next weekend.
Everyone I saw is using shad darts. Depending on flow, 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of weight. I just slid an egg sinker on my mainline with a bead between it and the swivel. Others were using pencil lead or several split shot. 30 to 40 inches of 8 pound mono for leader.
Watch what everyone else is doing, but generally the plan is to cast slightly upstream, count 5 to 10 seconds and start slowly reeling as your gear swings down river. You don't really want to hit bottom or you will lose a lot of gear. Most bites come near the end of the swing. Sometimes a little quicker retrieve will get bit, but for the most part, it's just a matter of a school of fish coming through.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So, it was a slow fishing day? LOL
My mentor/buddy was there that let me use a few of his jigs which were the ticket. I have been looking for them the last few weeks and can't find them...sold out everywhere of course...Those jigs gave me the most luck until I lost them lol. He was right next to me and caught 28 in the same time period.

However, the ODFW Bio came by and checked everyone...said we were doing the best as most people only had a couple if that...

Pro tip for storage - Shad are big and don't like to fit in gallon freezer bags whole...Splitting mall makes short work of them!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Haha Strawberry. I was just messing with ya. Right on! Those darts are definitely hard to find right now. If you do find some, buy them up. I'm glad to hear you got into some fish.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Haha Strawberry. I was just messing with ya. Right on! Those darts are definitely hard to find right now. If you do find some, buy them up. I'm glad to hear you got into some fish.
Haha I know. It was slow by a pro's standards lol. I can find the right jig size, but hook size and color is off...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any reports on eastside Shad above Bonneville? Would really like to know if any have made it up to the John Day dam yet?
Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Multnomah Channel was slow for us on Sunday. Marked sporadic schools every hour. Boated around 20 in 4 hours. Most boats around us seemed quiet. All males on green grubs. Guess most made it to Oregon City already? Oh well maybe this will be the week!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Lots of spices will be your friend !

Yuk! My dad made us try it as a kidd, not sure I can ever get the smell out of my head from the stove top!!

Good luck
My wife hated deer, elk, and salmon when I first met her because her Mom resented having to cook what my FIL brought home. She'd over cook the heck out of it until it was dry as a board. The first time I had some game she cooked I could barely choke it down. I volunteered to braise an elk shoulder roast for the family the next time we got together and immediately won over my FIL and earned the scorn of my MIL for ruining her game. I also got the green light to hunt and fish as long as I brought home something to put on the table.

The point of the story is Shad, just like Elk, can be totally messed up by someone that doesn't know how to cook it. My family settled in the Delaware River Valley when they immigrated from Italy. They were visibly offended when I told them people only kept Shad for bait because the runs had crashed and the remaining fish were heavily protected. To them it would be like us catching Salmon just to use as crab bait.

Google "how to fillet shad" and a couple of recipes. After all, they're just Giant Herring.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Wish me luck, boys n girls. I fileted 12 big shad yesterday. Gonna smoke em up and can them this week. Can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hope you get a bunch more 🐟🐠 they sure are fun to catch 👍🏻.

201 - 220 of 294 Posts