IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Im not the only one around these parts who are eagerly awaiting the arrival of shad so i figured I'd start up the thread! Whats the earliest anyone has caught one?? Its gonna be a blast this year on the Willy with the two rod endorsement back in effect!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I've caught them in the Willamette on low water years in late April.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Plan on Mothers Dayish on the Columbia...........
Sure is stupid fun. My Bait freezer is waiting.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Stupid fun is definitely right. I love to hear my kid say he's tired of catching so many fish. I sure wish salmon fishing had the same issue. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Caught 2 in oc tonight. Earliest I've EVER seen them in OC. Maybe first week of may.

. Only reason I threw on shad gear was because bank fisherman were targeting them and saw a couple jump.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Caught 2 in oc tonight. Earliest I've EVER seen them in OC. Maybe first week of may.

. Only reason I threw on shad gear was because bank fisherman were targeting them and saw a couple jump.
The bankies were already out for them? Wow!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Wow. This is the earliest I've heard of them, too. The rule has usually been mothers day to fathers day for the run. Insane.... Thanks for the word, bladder.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Dang and here I thought that you should start June 1st. Last year was my first time on the bank in OC...man I lost way more gear than I want to admit...spent most of my time retying etc.

Bought a better/longer rod this year...just gotta figure out the best way to rig it to avoid those dang snags! Haha

·
Registered
751 Posts
Dang and here I thought that you should start June 1st. Last year was my first time on the bank in OC...man I lost way more gear than I want to admit...spent most of my time retying etc.

Bought a better/longer rod this year...just gotta figure out the best way to rig it to avoid those dang snags! Haha
How are you fishing for them? I just cast and retrieve and hope I get bit before the weed line. If not, muscle it through and go again.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I drift fish for them. No snagging, no re tying, and much more effective. If you hit bottom, just pop it up a bit, and then wait to get bit.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How are you fishing for them? I just cast and retrieve and hope I get bit before the weed line. If not, muscle it through and go again.
Well what I learned last year was to cast as far as you can and let it hit bottom...as soon as you touch bottom, pop the jig off of it and do a drift retrieve type deal staying right above the rocks so you don't snag.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well what I learned last year was to cast as far as you can and let it hit bottom...as soon as you touch bottom, pop the jig off of it and do a drift retrieve type deal staying right above the rocks so you don't snag.
Funny how we all learn things different. I assumed I had to do that and lost gear. I noticed guys whacking em were not doing that. Also it was little spoons one day and little darts or Grubs the next!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Funny how we all learn things different. I assumed I had to do that and lost gear. I noticed guys whacking em were not doing that. Also it was little spoons one day and little darts or Grubs the next!
Well I was learning the sink method from the guy right next to me catching them as I continued to re-tie gear lol. I'll give your method a try! Do you put weight on it or just a heavy small jig? Would be interested in learning your setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well I was learning the sink method from the guy right next to me catching them as I continued to re-tie gear lol. I'll give your method a try! Do you put weight on it or just a heavy small jig? Would be interested in learning your setup. Thanks!
I had braid to 15 lb number with a 3/4 to 1oz weight, I think on a slider, maybe just a drop swivel. Leader was 10lb floro. I used the heavy weight so I could bomb it out there 75 yards.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I tried using braid, but I find that using mono mainline had me lose way less fish. It acts as a snubbed, and isn't as stiff. Those mouths sure do tear easy.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Whethole Nailed it above.
Drift fish , 1-2 oz weight depending on the flow.
Bounce them off the rocks and find fish.
They are in Mass groups and find their location.

Ya you will loose some gear every time.
BUT
If you learn or know how to drift fish its all about bouncing bottom.
Live it, Learn it, Love it!

Sure is Stupid fun....and Fills a bait freezer especially during heavy fish flows.
Remember...... 5 to 7 MILLION go by in about a month or so.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts