IFish Fishing Forum banner

Official 2021 Buoy 10 Report

306K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  eyeFISH 
#1 ·
OK... 2 weeks and change to go. Who else is gettin’ EXCITED?

Let the smack talk begin.

See less See more
#2 ·
August cannot come any sooner! Just finished up springer season and pulled boat from Fred's. Tying up anchovy and spinner rigs for flashers and 360's and throwing in some superbait/spinfish in the mix to try. Anyone else planning on using the spin type lures at Buoy10 and have success in the past?

#7 ·
What's the over under on rv's parked in the Safeway parking lot because of trailer parks/motels price gouging, come the 1st? 15?
For the uneducated, 4 silvers in 2 days could potentially cost you a thousand bucks on a guide and motel alone🤣 YIKES!!!
Price gouging?

We aren't charging enough!

People descend upon this town hauling $200k worth of truck/boat/RV, and then complain about the cost of parking?

Seriously?

Or the cost of ice or bait?

Really?

This is pretty much THE PREMIER SALMON FISHERY ON THE WEST COAST!

Wait till you see the cost of fuel at the fuel dock. We dropped $869 at west Basin today!

#6 ·
Hauled all my gear down to Astoria a couple weeks ago. A little bit of work left to do on the boat, install new rod rack, fire extinguisher holders. Gotta get the slip ready.

The only thing keeping me from getting really excited is the hatchery only rule the first couple of weeks. That sucks big time.

#8 ·
Okay BGF.... How much a gallon...? I paid $3.29 for E-0 Premium in upper Midwest this past March. Probably a wee bit higher now...

The way it should be is, everyone should be able to afford fishing down there. It's a shame when many get priced out of what they'd love to do. People should explore "open seat" possibilities, avoid the hassle and $$'s.

#11 ·
The entire north coast is packed with tourists continuously now. Just the way it is.
There's an article every few months in the New York Times talking about how great Astoria is. My guess is you have a NYT freelance reporter living there who mails in an article about Astoria every so often when its a slow news cycle it's a sign. We have one in Bend that does the same and I'm pretty sure she's part of the reason for the population spike...

How does a B10 noob learn the ropes of this fishery? I've fished it a couple of times with guides, but it's been a long time. I'm back in the saddle of appropriate boat ownership and have all the gear, but the stories of the crush of humanity have me spooked.

#17 ·
Here's my Aug 1 prediction:

We no longer get Rogue stock Chinook coming back to Youngs Bay, so the early chinook bite will reflect this, making the first 10 days of Mark select fishing a little tougher.

That said, I think some Chinook will be nosing into the estuary early. We will have a high tide at 830 am opening day, and it's only a 5.0. Then it ebbs till 140, but only 2.2 feet of runoff. Chinook will be caught up near bridge at high tide, then we follow them all the way to Ilwaco.

#26 ·
Jim I'll put myself in the idiot bracket to. I Have Dumped a ton into that fishery since the 90's. Beach Houses included.
Although I sold my coast HOUSE since the market was SO HOT....Made some of my idiot money back.
Now I'm Air B and B ing. What a Joke how expensive that stuff is!!!!!

#42 ·
Jim I'll put myself in the idiot bracket to. I Have Dumped a ton into that fishery since the 90's. Beach Houses included.
Although I sold my coast HOUSE since the market was SO HOT....Made some of my idiot money back.
Now I'm Air B and B ing. What a Joke how expensive that stuff is!!!!!
Count me in i am a proud idiot.... my August buoy 10 vacation is what I dream about all year.

Attachments

#28 ·
Pretty sure the anchovies I hid in my buddies boat last year are still there.
I will be taking a break from apple harvest and will make my way down there to fish a couple days.
I always hope to catch a limit of ocean fresh Coho but these big stupid silver chinark things are all my dumb bait will catch. Really sucks. Should just stay home.

#31 ·
Boy, this conversations spiraled into a weird directions pretty quickly. Look what you did Doc!

Now that we're getting back on the road..... Is it wrong to say I have been fiddling with my Buoy 10 gear every day for the better part of a year? I mean, if it's wrong... then I don't want to be right! I've even resorted to making my own triangle flashers for crying out loud because I've gotten bored of tying and retying leaders!!!

The truth of the matter is, Buoy 10 has hooked me better than a hangback rig! For me, it really makes me feel like I'm playing with the big boys of fishing. It's big (often times) dangerous water that forces you to keep your mind and senses aware of the situation constantly all in hopes of getting a few minutes to battle a potential "fish of the season".

Cartoon Organism Sharing Art Fun

#34 ·
Boy, this conversations spiraled into a weird directions pretty quickly. Look what you did Doc!

Now that we're getting back on the road..... Is it wrong to say I have been fiddling with my Buoy 10 gear every day for the better part of a year? I mean, if it's wrong... then I don't want to be right! I've even resorted to making my own triangle flashers for crying out loud because I've gotten bored of tying and retying leaders!!!

The truth of the matter is, Buoy 10 has hooked me better than a hangback rig! For me, it really makes me feel like I'm playing with the big boys of fishing. It's big (often times) dangerous water that forces you to keep your mind and senses aware of the situation constantly all in hopes of getting a few minutes to battle a potential "fish of the season".

View attachment 958975
As long as you don't get your wife a fishing rod named "TanTastic84" for her birthday.

#37 ·
One thing nice about B-10 is having good places to fish without fighting a crowd. Some days it pays to be in the thick of things and other days not. If it's not happenin' where you are, you can always pick up and go somewhere else and make it happen. Success depends on the effort you put into it.

#43 ·
I’ve only fished it (4x) with a guide. Jody always put me on fish, so we’re going to take the boat and rv down and give it a shot. Looking forward to seeing you all down there! Should be a killer year. We’ve been pounding fish up around beacon for a while…will be great to get some fresh out of the salt!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.