IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
981 - 1000 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Mid august, you struggle all day through the washing machine and a thousand boats for a few shots at catching a Tule. Now, you can have the river to yourself and have a dozen chances at quality coho in a few hours. It is making me rethink all of my buoy 10 plans for next year....
Yes except the coho don’t always show up. 2 or maybe 3 years ago we did the same thing and booked a weekend in Astoria many weeks in advance for some of the great coho fishing and we did have the place to ourselves basically but we didn’t catch a single salmon. Just a year with very few coho in October. This year it sounds pretty great

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Have you tried using a breakaway system on your 360's yet? I'm going to give that a go next time and see if it helps....Ive lost way too many fish on 360's. My wife had a heart breaker fish right to the rail our last trip, and i watched , net in hand , that fish double back on that flasher and pop loose. those things are great for attracting fish, but a pain in the arse with a fish on. Kirk
Oh man that is indeed a heart breaker! Had it happen more than once and KNOW that feeling. Big hook nose B run "Ho's" are dang tasty I tell ya!! It REALLY sux when ya loose them right at the net.
I don't use 360's Kirk but I do think the weights give us problems despite having them direct hung on my main line. I wish I could get a video of the fish unbuttoning. I've tried all the tricks to keeping them on and sometimes we're successful. It's always a treat to come home with fish but fighting those buggers and getting one IN the boat is a PRIZE! Ya know... Houdini knew all the secrets to getting out of impossible situations. I swear he came back as a Coho... LOLOL

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
All these reports are making it tough to work:) I may be able to make it down one more time - any opinion on how Friday looks versus next week Tuesday?? The weather looks pretty good both days just not sure about the tides??

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Oh man that is indeed a heart breaker! Had it happen more than once and KNOW that feeling. Big hook nose B run "Ho's" are dang tasty I tell ya!! It REALLY sux when ya loose them right at the net.
I don't use 360's Kirk but I do think the weights give us problems despite having them direct hung on my main line. I wish I could get a video of the fish unbuttoning. I've tried all the tricks to keeping them on and sometimes we're successful. It's always a treat to come home with fish but fighting those buggers and getting one IN the boat is a PRIZE! Ya know... Houdini knew all the secrets to getting out of impossible situations. I swear he came back as a Coho... LOLOL
Well if you are using in line flashers or just herring dodgers, those don't seem to have enough drag to make a lot of difference fighting a fish. If you are loosing that many fish, you might want to review your hook choice and how you set them up.... something doesn't sound right to me bro. What kind of gear are you running?

A couple years back i was using these #3 Eagle Claw red hooks dragging herring behind a triangle and i lost 5 straight fish in Tillamook bay before i finally changed rigs. I went up to a #4 Octopus hook with a bit more hang back on the bottom hook and BINGO! Landed the next 3 no problem. So sometimes all it takes is changing something up.

But..... Coho are notorious for their acrobatic skill levels, and are a lot more fun to fight than a chinook twice their size. I think you are definitely going to loose more just because of the hard fighting nature of the beast. One thing i learned the hard way is not to reel em to the boat too quickly. Keep the line tight, and take a bit more time cranking them in. Let em run a bit with lighter drag setting. Getting them to the rail and trying to net them hot is not as good as letting them wear themself out a bit first.

I feel your pain brutha.... Switch something up would be my advise. Kirk

·
Registered
676 Posts
One thing i learned the hard way is not to reel em to the boat too quickly. Keep the line tight, and take a bit more time cranking them in. Let em run a bit with lighter drag setting.
Agreed; I leave the kicker in-gear and bring them in slower. They're just way too spunky if I bring them to the boat right away. If I need to release it, there's no way that's happening with the fish in full freakout mode.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Where is a safe place to drop pots if you are launching from Hammond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
All these reports are making it tough to work:) I may be able to make it down one more time - any opinion on how Friday looks versus next week Tuesday?? The weather looks pretty good both days just not sure about the tides??
I like Fridays tide a little better than Tuesdays. Fish the end of the incoming all morning Friday, and then the turn. Pretty good crab tide too.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I like Fridays tide a little better than Tuesdays. Fish the end of the incoming all morning Friday, and then the turn. Pretty good crab tide too.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
What is too much wind to crab and fish comfortably? Is 10-15mph doable? I have a 22ft intruder with hard top.
Thanks Darin.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Well if you are using in line flashers or just herring dodgers, those don't seem to have enough drag to make a lot of difference fighting a fish. If you are loosing that many fish, you might want to review your hook choice and how you set them up.... something doesn't sound right to me bro. What kind of gear are you running?

A couple years back i was using these #3 Eagle Claw red hooks dragging herring behind a triangle and i lost 5 straight fish in Tillamook bay before i finally changed rigs. I went up to a #4 Octopus hook with a bit more hang back on the bottom hook and BINGO! Landed the next 3 no problem. So sometimes all it takes is changing something up.

But..... Coho are notorious for their acrobatic skill levels, and are a lot more fun to fight than a chinook twice their size. I think you are definitely going to loose more just because of the hard fighting nature of the beast. One thing i learned the hard way is not to reel em to the boat too quickly. Keep the line tight, and take a bit more time cranking them in. Let em run a bit with lighter drag setting. Getting them to the rail and trying to net them hot is not as good as letting them wear themself out a bit first.

I feel your pain brutha.... Switch something up would be my advise. Kirk
Kirk thank you for all the fine tips on keeping fish hooked up. We have learned to accept our fish on fish off dilemma as part of fishing for coho with barbless hooks. We leave the boat in gear, pole tip in the water, do all we can to tire out the fish before netting, leave the hook extended beyond the chovy tail, offset it if not already and use hooks that are sharp (or are sharpened) and the size and types we use are used by most fishermen. I hear other guides, fishermen, etc are having the same issue so I don't think it's something we're doing wrong per se'. Just Houdini cohos doing what they do so well... fight and squirm like a steelhead.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Everyone loses fish. I feel em pop off all the time. Nice thing about the fish down here is another biter usually isn't too far away.

I think I'm fishing Costanza style, the exact opposite of all conventional wisdom.

I run my skateboard flashers with no breakaway.

I run short bumpers and leaders. Some rods my whole setup, bumper/flasher/leader/lure, is 4 feet or less.

I prefer shorter rods. 9' and 9'6" GL2s and GL3s are mostly what I run.

My custom spinners are tied up on 5/0 siwash hooks.

I troll fast with my drag set fairly tight. When a fish hits these stupid barbless hooks I don't want a bunch of give in rod, and then drag peeling off reel. I want the hook driven home to the bend RIGHT NOW.

Just my system.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I find it funny a lot of people blame the flasher for losing fish as they have 16+ ounces of lead dangling around.

------------------------------------

Thank you BGF for your ongoing reports and info in this thread, I really appreciate you continuing to take the time to do so.

981 - 1000 of 1039 Posts