IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
961 - 980 of 1039 Posts

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Tougher fishing and conditions today, but still saw some nice coho and lots of crab.

Some boats had nice numbers like 11, 6, and 5. Others only scratched out a fish or two, or blanked. Crab cooker was packed full most of the afternoon.

River looks nice right now, but feels like that weather change is coming. Probably won't be too busy tomorrow, but we will still be here selling and cutting tuna, cooking crab, telling lies.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Went down between buoy 10-12 at low slack and hooked a nice fish right away, but alas, extra fin. The conditions made solo netting absurdly difficult so I went in search of calmer water, to no avail. Got a drive-by at high slack in the anchorage, but ended keeper-less. Tomorrow looks worse, so sitting it out.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Well, much like Tuesday the weather people may have completely missed on the wind. I got to the shop at 6 am, zero wind. Standing at top of boat ramp in Hammond right now, not a breath of wind, skies are clear, first signs of daylight to the east.

If you're in the area, you can have the river to yourself.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Fish liked our baits the last two days... LOTS of action! We must have had 15-20 STRONG take downs, (pole bounce drag singing, line ripping) each day but the Houdini's of the sea managed to escape the hook in some miraculous fashion. Grrr!!! We tried looser drag, tighter drag and even smaller baits all to no avail. Fish checker had zero fish for a dozen boats when we saw him yesterday. We saw a lot of fish netted so we were surprised to hear that report, maybe just too early in the day. We wondered if it was because of the big wind and white cap swells. Wx chased us off the river both days at about 3:00. We did manage to keep one hook nose ho, put back the "wild" fish (both very nice sized), and one sub legal white mouth jack. (I suspect jack's are what was ripping us off) they're similar to the ocean "bait robber jacks" rob baits, escape the barbless hook. I'm sure we'd do better with a smaller trailer but we're not after jacks. Just seems weird to be fighting jacks this late.
I'm hoping BGF is right thinking we have another couple weeks of B runs. Seems logical, Bonneville count Friday shows just short of 200k. I can't imagine 200K went into lower river tributaries so where's the rest of the million? Maybe I got returning numbers wrong? Not complaining, I'm very happy with our creel of bard red delicious ho's!!!
Crabs are plentiful, feisty, hard shelled, barnacles galore and full of sweet meat. The ones without barnacles are about 2/3 full. We've found that very few need measuring, only a hand full of 5 3/4, maybe a dozen babies for 4 pots, and that's after half a day soak on salmon carcasses from our past days of success. Last week you couldn't have fit another crab in the pots after an all day soak!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fished again yesterday (Saturday). Started at 7:45 and ended at 3. For the day: 4 nice keepers and a jack, released 3. Got into a hot bite on incoming at 10. Roughly 10 take downs. Resulted in 2 really nice keepers, and 1 wild. Very rough conditions as stated above. Bite lasted 30 minutes and over.

Thanks BGF (Sturgeon Paul's) for having fresh bait!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I fish with a 3 hook mooching rig in the river -- trailer hook a couple inches behind the bait...
It helps...but there are still Houdini's that escape somehow.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Cloud Water Sky Mountain Watercraft

Weather forecast was a complete miss today. Gorgeous fall day down here.

I got to make one pass and had to come in. Landed a big nate in the 12 pound range that was released. Lost a big fish pulling hard, and had a good bite somehow not stick.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
3/0 or 4/0 circle hook for the trailing hook, rigged hangback style a couple inches behind the tail of the bait… I’ve had good success in the ocean with this setup, no reason it couldn’t/shouldn’t work in the estuary. Hookup percentage likely won’t change, but hook to land ratio should.

·
Registered
534 Posts
A shoutout to BGF! We're half way to Hammond when realized I left the salmon net at home on Friday. Didn't want to turn around so decided to call Sturgeon Paul and asked to see if we can rent or borrow a net. BGF said that we could work something out. Picked up my reserved anchovies and BGF offered to let us borrow his net. I asked if he needed collateral or charged me for using his net; he said just bring it back to the shop after fishing. :cool: Thank you!!!

Now the fishing report...managed to get 5 hits, released 2 big natives and kept 1 easily 8-10 lbs clipped on Friday. Came back Saturday with 2 nets :p and got 7 hits, released 3 and kept 2. These big tides are harder for us to find fish but managed to bring fish home each day. All on fresh anchovies with pro-tro and green fish flashers.

Now enjoying the bounty...freshly grilled onion honey mustard coho!
Water Sky Cloud Boat Vertebrate
Water Sky Boat Cloud Hat
Food Fish slice Ingredient Seafood Animal product
Food Ingredient Staple food Baked goods Cuisine

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Man those are nice!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Fish liked our baits the last two days... LOTS of action! We must have had 15-20 STRONG take downs, (pole bounce drag singing, line ripping) each day but the Houdini's of the sea managed to escape the hook in some miraculous fashion. Grrr!!! We tried looser drag, tighter drag and even smaller baits all to no avail.
Have you tried using a breakaway system on your 360's yet? I'm going to give that a go next time and see if it helps....Ive lost way too many fish on 360's. My wife had a heart breaker fish right to the rail our last trip, and i watched , net in hand , that fish double back on that flasher and pop loose. those things are great for attracting fish, but a pain in the arse with a fish on. Kirk

961 - 980 of 1039 Posts