IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
941 - 960 of 1037 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
1.5-2 inches from the tip of the lure or bait tail to the hook eye has been working well for me.
I do similar, but with a 3 hook rig in the river. Working with a "Rhys" something anchovy helmet, the bend of the second hook is about even or just past the tail of the bait and the bottom hook is doing it's best tiny dancer impression downstream of the bait by a couple/three inches. For two hook rigs in the ocean, the trailer is generally in the same spot, so just a lot more spacing between the two hooks. Had several fish this year where only the trailing hook was right at the tip of their nose.
Seems like most bites stick this way, getting them to the boat with barbless hooks is at the anglers discretion of course.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
When I run helmets my trailer hook bend is about a half inch to an inch behind the chovy tail. My hooks have been tweaked offset too. Some guys pin the trailer, I let 'em twirl behind the tail. We still loose em but no where near as many.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I too have now begun to let that trailing hook go commando, and swing freely. I use a helmet and put the first hook through the tail wrist area. Ive found that usually the fish is well hooked on the trailer hook. Sometimes it has both hooks in the chops, but not as often. I think this is the same principle as @eyeFISH method of having the trailing hook on plugs.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
We got kinda busy there for a couple days.

The bite remains good for coho down here. Not wide open, but consistent, and the grade of fish is really good.

These tides seem to make things a little more challenging as the bites suddenly turn on and off, so being in the right place at the right time can be key. A guide friend killed 7 hatchery coho his first hour on the water yesterday, then zero bites for several hours, then another flurry of action to finish with 10 fish.

We fished 4 hours yesterday and only scratched up one keeper while releasing a few and losing a few. Sounded like we missed the early bite by 15 minutes.

Crabbing is really getting good. Groups bringing in limits, and many of the crab are in much better shape than they were at this time last year. Roughly 2/3 full and firming up.

The fresh bait situation during the week is now dicey. We MIGHT have fresh bait Thursday or Friday if we get enough interest. If you plan on fishing those days, give us a call and let us know what you would need. I'll go get the bait if there's enough interest, otherwise we have frozen anchovies and herring. I personally got bit on 3 day old anchovies and frozen red label herring yesterday.

We should have fresh bait for the weekend.

Also, if you pm'ed me here, I wasn't ignoring you. This new system doesn't alert me when I get messages, so I just figured out I have a bunch of old messages. Sorry I missed you, will try to

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Fished today solo out of Hammond, bites came in hot 1hr before top of flood unfortunately I found a that my tower wanted to call it a day... I was able to release 4, and keep 1 before heading in. I was able to stay dry, but man the rain clouds were close and definitely hit land pretty hard in waves! Fished between buoy 14 - 10 water was intermittent rough and calm-ish. Granted it was a Tuesday but only 1 guide boat with me and they were catching fish too.

I have no idea how this broke as its not hit anything, MAJOR shoutout to Columbia Steel Fabrication in Astoria they took the boat in and fixed the tower right away adding a core insert and welding it back together so I could get it home. I was so thankful I gave them some fresh coho as a thankyou!

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Boat

Water Cloud Sky Boat Naval architecture

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Sturgeon Paul's has fresh bait for the morning and a limited amount of un reserved. We will have fresh bait through the weekend as long as there's enough interest. Call by 3 pm the day before to reserve.

Not a lot of effort, but fish died today, we saw a nice grade of fish on the cutting table.

503-861-2110

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I put in at noon just before high slack at Hammond. Had one peeling line but didn’t stick. Released an undersized coho jack. Got a nice limit of razors tonight.
For tomorrow Thursday, looks like incoming big exchange in the morning. Do you recommend fishing the entire incoming or wait til closer to high slack? Wind forecast looks favorable.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
I like slack tides. Low slack and the last hour of incoming through high slack would be my go to times tomorrow. Low slack on the lower end of Desdemona and west should be good. End of incoming up around bridge should be good.

I marked a bunch of fish during max flood Monday, but only a few bites. One of the fish we landed at that time was puking up those needlefish. Maybe they were just too full to bite good.

·
Registered
More of a troller but not a troll !
378 Posts
I like slack tides. Low slack and the last hour of incoming through high slack would be my go to times tomorrow. Low slack on the lower end of Desdemona and west should be good. End of incoming up around bridge should be good.

I marked a bunch of fish during max flood Monday, but only a few bites. One of the fish we landed at that time was puking up those needlefish. Maybe they were just too full to bite good.
Monday was good to us. Best day in 40 yrs for my friend

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
More fish died today. I didn't fish, but several folks came in with fish stories as crab got cooked. Saw tallies of 2, 4, 6, and 12 for various boats, and the size of the coho are impressive. Weather started foggy and then was flat out amazing.

We have fresh anchovies and fresh tuna carcasses for crab bait.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
More fish died today. I didn't fish, but several folks came in with fish stories as crab got cooked. Saw tallies of 2, 4, 6, and 12 for various boats, and the size of the coho are impressive. Weather started foggy and then was flat out amazing.

We have fresh anchovies and fresh tuna carcasses for crab bait.
Best crab bait-Tuna Heads.

·
Vendor
5,827 Posts
Sorry guys, lots going on!

We saw some really nice coho today. This run will go at least a couple more weeks.

There was a good bite at low slack today near checkerboard, and then again around high tide at bridge.

Fish and crab are there guys. I cooked crab till dark tonight.

Oh, by the way, our fresh tuna carcasses are crushing your shad and whatever else for crab. Don't put frozen shad next to our fresh tuna...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fished with a few other ifish-er's from 7:30 to 3 today. 5 keeper coho and 2 jacks for 3 rods. Released a few wilds and lost a few. Started at Bridge on Washington side trolled to checker board, ran back to church and trolled back down resulted in 3 adult keepers. Ran to b10 and fished the incoming. Picked up 2 more keepers here. Trolled back up with the tide resulting in a few more opportunities but none to put in the bag. All in all it was a solid day

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
There’s some awesome coho out there. This was 17lbs via scale after bleeding. It was one hell of a fight. The other 2
Coho we got were 10-12 lbs.

Also, easy limits of crab.

Nice weather, it was great day today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So Vinny, when are we going fishing?! 😎

941 - 960 of 1037 Posts