IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
741 - 760 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Fished 4 rods from 7 to 4. We had close to 40 bites, landed 8 and bonked 2. Worst day I have ever had as far as short bites go. We used two full pounds of anchovies and two trays of red labels. Bait out preformed hardware today for me.

Positive note: crabs are hard and filling up. We pulled 3 pots and had limits and had to put some back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to Hear on the Crab front; Yeah I have had days like that for COHO. I sometimes wonder if going back to Mono would help....especially on the flood and w divers

Thanks for the Reports redneckty1 and everyone else

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Fished 4 rods yesterday. Another pile of lost fish, did land a couple doubles, finally got to bonk a few per person. Fishing shallow at the church. Bait out fished hardware for me.

I'm going to try double trebles this week and see if I can get my land ratio to 60ish %.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Good to Hear on the Crab front; Yeah I have had days like that for COHO. I sometimes wonder if going back to Mono would help....especially on the flood and w divers

Thanks for the Reports redneckty1 and everyone else
That’s the only time I use bungees.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Had fun fishing with my son in law on saturday. We are both pretty new to bouy 10. He is a disabled vet after serious injuries from Afghanistan. He has no short term memory so each hook up is an adventure. I think I am gonna record Keep The Damn Pole Tip Up, and play it on a loud speaker. Lol. We even grabbed a few crabs
About 20 good bites, maybe 10 to the boat where things got interesting as he was learning to net also. Bonked 5 keepers. Fishing anchovies with helmets and triangles along with 16 ounces at 27 to 32 on lc. Great memories. Clothing Smile Baseball cap Fish Seafood

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Glad to see some better reports. If all goes well the next couple of days I hope to be out there on Thursday. Based on the tides for that day and being out on the water about 6:30 or so would starting out around the Church be a good plan or? Think high tide is around 10:30ish so it would seem that should be a decent spot to find a fish or 2??

·
Registered
660 Posts
1/1 today in the ship anchorage. Being the World's Laziest Fisherman, I didn't get out on the water until 1130. 45 minutes in, on the second pass, bonked a little 7.5 lb. coho. By the time I bled it, got tagged up, and cleared the deck, the sheep were on the water. Decided to be happy with my one fish and called it a day. Anchovy/triangle ~40' FOW, 30' of line out, 12 oz of lead.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Glad to see some better reports. If all goes well the next couple of days I hope to be out there on Thursday. Based on the tides for that day and being out on the water about 6:30 or so would starting out around the Church be a good plan or? Think high tide is around 10:30ish so it would seem that should be a decent spot to find a fish or 2??
There was a heck of a bite a little before low slack about mid way between social security beach and the church on sat. Then the action seemed to be more towards buoy 10 to 14. Didnt see much above bridge on wa side. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Tollgate Tim, thanks! I realize Thursday could be completely different but it seems over by the Church to the Checkerboard is always decent if there are fish in the river.

·
Registered
577 Posts
High Slack Current at McGowan (Washington side near the 'Church') is 11:22 AM. We wouldn't start to fish along Desdemona from the Fort to the Church to the Red Roof to the Bridge until maybe 10:00 Am to be at or above the bridge at that high slack time. At 6:30 AM you are only an hour into the incoming, so I would start low on the Washington side around 'Marker 1' trolling in front of Ilwaco to the 'A' jetty (Buoy 11) and out towards Buoy 10 or start on the Oregon side south side of the Checkerboard (30 fow) trolling West toward Buoy 14 arriving at Buoy 10 prior to the incoming 'wave' between 8:30? and max incoming at 9:19. Be prepared though at '10' as the water will go from an almost calm slack to 2.7 kts (peak that day) in literally minutes when the wave sweeps past you and most baits in the water get bit. Our absolute favorite experience at Buoy 10! We set up for it just to the South of Buoy 10 and try to stay just to the ocean side of the wave as it slowly moves us upriver. There should be a push of fish right under it there too. You can stay at 10 and fish through the Max Current or ride the wave as it pushes you back upstream to Buoy 12 then 14. From 14 you can continue to follow the current up the Oregon side past 20 to the Checker Board or across to the Washington side to McGowan and start your troll up along Desdemona towards the Bridge. From the Checker Board you can also continue up the Green line past Hammond, the Saw Dust Pile, past Young's Bay and eventually the Bridge arriving again at about 11:00. Most will go under the bridge the last part of the incoming on either the Washington side to fish the slack up around the Ship Wreck or higher or the Oregon side up around the anchored ships. On the Outgoing, everything 'kinda' just reverses.
Just a very simplistic description of 'our' typical 'incomming' day at Buoy 10. It's all 'current' related and we like 30' or 'much' shallower where we can find it, but if deeper, trust your electronics. It will tell you where the fish are.
All that being said, please remember this is 'our' typical day. We have been fishing the Buoy 10 area for over 30 years and feel 'relatively' comfortable there. Situations and the water can change in a bink of an eye, so if you aren't comfortable in a particular area, don't stay. Your day on Thursday with incoming water until noon or so 'should' provide excellent fishing and pretty comfortable conditions, but incoming tidal current rips can be impressive. Ebbing water is a totally different beast. It can get really ugly in a blink. Be careful and enjoy one of the most incredible fisheries anywhere. jc Tuna Maru

·
Registered
647 Posts
High Slack Current at McGowan (Washington side near the 'Church') is 11:22 AM. We wouldn't start to fish along Desdemona from the Fort to the Church to the Red Roof to the Bridge until maybe 10:00 Am to be at or above the bridge at that high slack time. At 6:30 AM you are only an hour into the incoming, so I would start low on the Washington side around 'Marker 1' trolling in front of Ilwaco to the 'A' jetty (Buoy 11) and out towards Buoy 10 or start on the Oregon side south side of the Checkerboard (30 fow) trolling West toward Buoy 14 arriving at Buoy 10 prior to the incoming 'wave' between 8:30? and max incoming at 9:19. Be prepared though at '10' as the water will go from an almost calm slack to 2.7 kts (peak that day) in literally minutes when the wave sweeps past you and most baits in the water get bit. Our absolute favorite experience at Buoy 10! We set up for it just to the South of Buoy 10 and try to stay just to the ocean side of the wave as it slowly moves us upriver. There should be a push of fish right under it there too. You can stay at 10 and fish through the Max Current or ride the wave as it pushes you back upstream to Buoy 12 then 14. From 14 you can continue to follow the current up the Oregon side past 20 to the Checker Board or across to the Washington side to McGowan and start your troll up along Desdemona towards the Bridge. From the Checker Board you can also continue up the Green line past Hammond, the Saw Dust Pile, past Young's Bay and eventually the Bridge arriving again at about 11:00. Most will go under the bridge the last part of the incoming on either the Washington side to fish the slack up around the Ship Wreck or higher or the Oregon side up around the anchored ships. On the Outgoing, everything 'kinda' just reverses.
Just a very simplistic description of 'our' typical 'incomming' day at Buoy 10. It's all 'current' related and we like 30' or 'much' shallower where we can find it, but if deeper, trust your electronics. It will tell you where the fish are.
All that being said, please remember this is 'our' typical day. We have been fishing the Buoy 10 area for over 30 years and feel 'relatively' comfortable there. Situations and the water can change in a bink of an eye, so if you aren't comfortable in a particular area, don't stay. Your day on Thursday with incoming water until noon or so 'should' provide excellent fishing and pretty comfortable conditions, but incoming tidal current rips can be impressive. Ebbing water is a totally different beast. It can get really ugly in a blink. Be careful and enjoy one of the most incredible fisheries anywhere. jc Tuna Maru
Wow! What a great response. I learned something for sure. Thanks for the knowledge.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Had to screen shot that one great post and thank you for all the safety reminders too

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
jcarufo-Your response is the most concise "how-to" I've read regarding the B-10 fishery.

I started fishing it in '99 or 2000, and while I learned it on my own, I owe most of my success to emulating a few locals (guides and highliners) and keying in on their decisions of when to move during a particular tide sequence (or time throughout a specific tide). This "patterning" (at times) can be a great tool to help add punches to the cards. Thanks for sharing, as your information should add to a significant amount of dead fish for folks!!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks for all the reports!! Cant wait to get back down there!

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is a Great response that has been my goto plan for the Estuary for a while now. I always called the tidal zone where the cold ocean water pushes in on the warmer river water the Dancing Water. and actively try to stay with it as it flows.
Don't forget to watch the birds and if the Pelicans start diving get over by them quick and be ready to deploy gear as quick as you can.:cool:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
How wild???? ....and when? Clouds on the SW horizon..... Don't look like those that lead to serious stuff.
About 2” of rain with possible thunderstorms Friday through Sunday (Friday looks the worst).

741 - 760 of 865 Posts