IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
721 - 740 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Almost everyone left when chinook closed. West basin had 5-7 boats a day running?

Wide open is relative. I'm home for a couple days but I have been having doubles and triples. Getting legal fish has been my struggle. As in 30 bites, 18 to boat, bonk 5-8, some days I can get to 12 but not often. That's been a normal day for the last week. Some guides are getting all their fish. The fish are there, there is also very few people. Usually when I find biters I'm all alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do you usually find the coho in the upper water column only? even in 20-30' of water. I have a weekend trip the 17th
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
do you usually find the coho in the upper water column only? even in 20-30' of water. I have a weekend trip the 17th
Thanks!
I wouldn't say only, I have been targeting the upper column to avoid chinook. My best days have been in 45-55 FOW fishing 16 oz 9-26' on line counters.....

When I fish shallow like checker board (25' and under) I find them from 8' to 30 on counters.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
3 rods 9/8 out of Hammond. Kept 5, released 2, and lost 6. 4 of the lost fish were on pro-troll and spinners. Too bad we couldn't get that working for us as the early fish were definitely interested in that combo. We lost our first 6 hookups, then landed 7 in a row. All fish to the boat came on anchovies behind triangles. All fish hooked on the outgoing tide were on the bottom in 20 to 30 ft.
Seafood Cuisine Marine biology Fish products Fish

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yesterday.......2 rods, 1 for 2. Beautiful big coho. Fished 10-12 out of Ilwaco. Saw slow bite on flood. No schools where we were or wide open bites. Heavy fog a problem for a while. Also fished 1-3 for a while with 4-5 guide boats and saw no take downs. Washington reporting about a fish per boat and a fish per 3-4 anglers. Heard a report of an upside down 14-16 foot aluminum boat with an outboard spotted on the A jetty the Coast Guard was responding to but no one in the water..

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Finally was able to get the wife out fishing as she has been fighting some serious medical problems. Yesterday was foggy could barely see 100 yards. Lines in with anchovies behind a small triangular flasher behind a small diver. Since the goal was silvers I kicked up the troll to 3 mph + and only let out 10 pulls even with the small divers. Since we had gone over to Astoria for some shopping lines did not hit the water until 10 ish. In the fog and then out of the fog we had three nice silvers when we had to head for home around noon. All in all a fun few hours with three fish in the box and two lost at the boat, not one high finner. Our dog has become our fish on alarm. If he hears the reel clicker he rips off his blanket to the stern and starts barking at the pole that made the noise or is making the noise. Of course he gets his "snacky" treat for his due diligence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally was able to get the wife out fishing as she has been fighting some serious medical problems. Yesterday was foggy could barely see 100 yards. Lines in with anchovies behind a small triangular flasher behind a small diver. Since the goal was silvers I kicked up the troll to 3 mph + and only let out 10 pulls even with the small divers. Since we had gone over to Astoria for some shopping lines did not hit the water until 10 ish. In the fog and then out of the fog we had three nice silvers when we had to head for home around noon. All in all a fun few hours with three fish in the box and two lost at the boat, not one high finner. Our dog has become our fish on alarm. If he hears the reel clicker he rips off his blanket to the stern and starts barking at the pole that made the noise or is making the noise. Of course he gets his "snacky" treat for his due diligence.
Thank you for the great report. Did you cover the grounds above the bridge?

·
Registered
86 Posts
5 rods from 8-4 today. Three keepers lots of wilds and lots of short strikes. Fished the sands on the outgoing had several take downs. Fished 10-12 on the flood and had lots of take downs. Pink spinners, anchovies, and brads cut plugs all worked today. 360s definitely produced the most bites but the triangles had a good run as well. Let's see who all comes down tomorrow with all the excitement upriver.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thursday the thick fog kept us from running to where we wanted to fish early But we were able to run out to10 later in the flood tide when fog lifted. Finished with only 3 keepers for 4 rods with lots of nates released fished 9am-5pm. Yesterday we fished 2 rods starting around 10am and limed with our 6th fish a little before 3pm, only 3 nates and a couple shorts released. 6 oz banana weights, triangle flasher, anchovy, 10-18 pulls in rips from checkerboard to B10. Best action surfing rips back from B10 to 12 during max incoming.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Fished 4 rods from 7 to 4. We had close to 40 bites, landed 8 and bonked 2. Worst day I have ever had as far as short bites go. We used two full pounds of anchovies and two trays of red labels. Bait out preformed hardware today for me.

Positive note: crabs are hard and filling up. We pulled 3 pots and had limits and had to put some back.

·
Registered
531 Posts
We decided to stay away from Warrior Rock deadline opener and headed to Astoria for coho. For 3 rods, we had over 25+ hits. Got 14 to the boat, released 10 wilds (some were huge!) and kept 4. There was a decent bite during the initial incoming push at 10-12 area. All fish were caught below the bridge. It was a fun day of catching for a change. We also had our first triple; lost 2 and released a wild, go figure. Oh...eyeFISH sighting...gave him room to turn around below the bridge. Can't wait for the mother lode of coho to show up!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We decided to stay away from Warrior Rock deadline opener and headed to Astoria for coho. For 3 rods, we had over 25+ hits. Got 14 to the boat, released 10 wilds (some were huge!) and kept 4. There was a decent bite during the initial incoming push at 10-12 area. All fish were caught below the bridge. It was a fun day of catching for a change. We also had our first triple; lost 2 and released a wild, go figure. Oh...eyeFISH sighting...gave him room to turn around below the bridge. Can't wait for the mother lode of coho to show up!

That report sounds like the mother load showed up. I'm not sure it can get any better than that, especially considering how mediocre it's been in years past.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Fished Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Limited Th. and Sat.; for some reason it was really tough fishing for us on Fri.; we were four short of a limit.
Fresh anchovies and plug cut greens worked very well. A pink and black Spinfish also did well.
Our best fishing was around B10 and between the sawdust pile and Hammond.

When does the coho run peak down there? I'd like to make another trip before it's over.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was thinking the same. 25 bites for 3 rods sounds like lights out. I mostly springer fish and that is .5 bites per TRIP usually so yea, 25 bites sounds nice.
That report sounds like the mother load showed up. I'm not sure it can get any better than that, especially considering how mediocre it's been in years past.
Let me correct that statement...Can't wait for the mother lode of hatchery coho to show up! Yea...we had a good (luck) day but I can't say about everyone else success that were there. To add a few more details on what we used, 2 pro-troll and 1 triangle flasher rods all day. 95% of the bites were on anchovies with helmet. Fishing depth were 25-35 on counter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Let me correct that statement...Can't wait for the mother lode of hatchery coho to show up! Yea...we had a good (luck) day but I can't say about everyone else success that were there. To add a few more details on what we used, 2 pro-troll and 1 triangle flasher rods all day. 95% of the bites were on anchovies with helmet. Fishing depth were 25-35 on counter.
How much lead were you using?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Man that wind was horrible butttt it paid off for me!!! Stayed on front of hammond most of the time. All came on anchovies! 27-45 fow and 28-35 on the line counter with 16oz of lead. Electric Pole Dancer was on fire until I forgot to reclip my duo lock. After that it was gold and UV flash. Turned back some chinook and had a few drive bys. Back at it again soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

721 - 740 of 865 Posts