IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
August cannot come any sooner! Just finished up springer season and pulled boat from Fred's. Tying up anchovy and spinner rigs for flashers and 360's and throwing in some superbait/spinfish in the mix to try. Anyone else planning on using the spin type lures at Buoy10 and have success in the past?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I'm excited to not only fish this awesome area, I'm also stokked to see some people that I haven't seen in a while. Getting some fish is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
What's the over under on rv's parked in the Safeway parking lot because of trailer parks/motels price gouging, come the 1st? 15?
For the uneducated, 4 silvers in 2 days could potentially cost you a thousand bucks on a guide and motel alone🤣 YIKES!!!

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
Hauled all my gear down to Astoria a couple weeks ago. A little bit of work left to do on the boat, install new rod rack, fire extinguisher holders. Gotta get the slip ready.

The only thing keeping me from getting really excited is the hatchery only rule the first couple of weeks. That sucks big time.

·
Vendor
5,763 Posts
What's the over under on rv's parked in the Safeway parking lot because of trailer parks/motels price gouging, come the 1st? 15?
For the uneducated, 4 silvers in 2 days could potentially cost you a thousand bucks on a guide and motel alone🤣 YIKES!!!
Price gouging?

We aren't charging enough!

People descend upon this town hauling $200k worth of truck/boat/RV, and then complain about the cost of parking?

Seriously?

Or the cost of ice or bait?

Really?

This is pretty much THE PREMIER SALMON FISHERY ON THE WEST COAST!

Wait till you see the cost of fuel at the fuel dock. We dropped $869 at west Basin today!

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
Okay BGF.... How much a gallon...? I paid $3.29 for E-0 Premium in upper Midwest this past March. Probably a wee bit higher now...

The way it should be is, everyone should be able to afford fishing down there. It's a shame when many get priced out of what they'd love to do. People should explore "open seat" possibilities, avoid the hassle and $$'s.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
The entire north coast is packed with tourists continuously now. Just the way it is.
There's an article every few months in the New York Times talking about how great Astoria is. My guess is you have a NYT freelance reporter living there who mails in an article about Astoria every so often when its a slow news cycle it's a sign. We have one in Bend that does the same and I'm pretty sure she's part of the reason for the population spike...

How does a B10 noob learn the ropes of this fishery? I've fished it a couple of times with guides, but it's been a long time. I'm back in the saddle of appropriate boat ownership and have all the gear, but the stories of the crush of humanity have me spooked.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Dog, it's over $5 a gallon.

And they aren't just gouging fishermen. The entire north coast is packed with tourists continuously now. Just the way it is.
BGF, I too feel the pain in the wallet... We have learned it's well worth it to haul out at the end of the day to go get fuel. At a minimum of a dollar less per gallon it still hits the pocketbook HARD. I'm a retired guy, I don't have a way to "make more money" short of going back to work. I get it why the pumps at the marina charge more for the convenience of filling up at the marina but hauling out could easily mean a $50-60 savings. Our tank hold 110 gallons, after a recent trip to the CR twice with a trip to the "rock" tagged on, we pumped 56 gallons at $4.29 and that included road taxes. I can't imagine my wallet holding up to that same gallonage at $5.29 and they don't have "road tax" at the marina. I guess it isn't really "gouging" per se' but it surely could be construed as such when you consider gas prices at the marina are a buck more v less cost on the pump downtown; even with road taxes imposed on every gallon. EVERYBODY pays to play. It ain't like it was last year is it.... Yeah, I know. We won't go there!!!!!

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
Pump Gas... It isn't as terrible as some propose. If a boat has trouble with road fuel, it's the fuel system, not the fuel.

·
Vendor
5,763 Posts
There's an article every few months in the New York Times talking about how great Astoria is. My guess is you have a NYT freelance reporter living there who mails in an article about Astoria every so often when its a slow news cycle it's a sign. We have one in Bend that does the same and I'm pretty sure she's part of the reason for the population spike...

How does a B10 noob learn the ropes of this fishery? I've fished it a couple of times with guides, but it's been a long time. I'm back in the saddle of appropriate boat ownership and have all the gear, but the stories of the crush of humanity have me spooked.
Just get down here and get some time on the water. There will be enough fish around this year to help keep you interested and having fun through your learning curve.

Get out amongst the boats, deploy diver/flasher/bait to 17 to 42 feet on line counter. The fish will handle it from there.

·
Vendor
5,763 Posts
Here's my Aug 1 prediction:

We no longer get Rogue stock Chinook coming back to Youngs Bay, so the early chinook bite will reflect this, making the first 10 days of Mark select fishing a little tougher.

That said, I think some Chinook will be nosing into the estuary early. We will have a high tide at 830 am opening day, and it's only a 5.0. Then it ebbs till 140, but only 2.2 feet of runoff. Chinook will be caught up near bridge at high tide, then we follow them all the way to Ilwaco.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Don't sweat it. The crush of humanity is highly highly exaggerated. There are a few places that get really crowded so stay away from those if you're nervous. The area is huge and there are fish to be caught all over the place.
The launch ramps are where most issues happen. Just be ready to launch or pull out when it's your turn and get out of the way of the next guy.
The book Buoy 10 by Larry Ellis is a great way to learn the ins and outs.

·
Registered
18,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the early chinook bite will reflect this, making the first 10 days of Mark select fishing a little tougher.
Canadia is holding their fleets WAY back this summer. Way less tule interception. Should be more clipped kings around than usual for the wood shampoo

·
Registered
915 Posts
Don't sweat it. The crush of humanity is highly highly exaggerated. There are a few places that get really crowded so stay away from those if you're nervous. The area is huge and there are fish to be caught all over the place.
The launch ramps are where most issues happen. Just be ready to launch or pull out when it's your turn and get out of the way of the next guy.
The book Buoy 10 by Larry Ellis is a great way to learn the ins and outs.
I have a fancy boat , and it always amuses me to read about the trials and tribulations at the circus known as Buoy 10 .
A place where , after costs are taken into account , that fish just cost you 100$ a pound. I go to a spot just below Bonneville starting the first week in Sept . I cast # 5 Blue Foxes less then 15 yards and slam them . Coho mixed in also .
My total costs , gas to drive for 45 min. They are big bright nooks . But do whatever it takes to float your boat.

1 - 20 of 865 Posts