IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ran into Jamie (lingslayer) and Austin Sunday at the "ledge" at Boiler Bay State Park.

I informed them I checked for them a tent site at Beverly Beach campground and ran into another ifisher Roland "RL" and showed him a couple spots while Jamie & Austin were checking into the campground.

Roland "RL" caught his first bass off the rocks and lost a larger one on the rocks and I believe he lost another one.

Fishing was really sloooow, but I caught one after showing Roland another spot and fileted the two and seen him off on his way to have a fresh seafood dinner with his wife.

Jamie caught this exceptionally nice bass on a different ledge I told them about while we were playing.

A big whopping 5.3 pound black rockfish. I took this pic from on top of the ledge.

And this one after she came up.

She passed on my offer to fillet the "big one" for her and there she goes while I take a break.

She did a great job and we ended a long days fishing BBQ'ing some fresh tuna that I got from Marty (ifisher), some silver salmon I caught with Brad (ifisher), and some halibut a local friend gave me.

Jamie and boyfriend Austin at the campsite.

Too be continued...

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next day and a late start with Austin striking first blood (a undersizer he had to release).

Pretty scenery, eh?

Then Jamie had to strut her stuff! I call this a silouette pic of her laxidaisally fighting a nice bass.

Here it is airborne.

And another nice one!

Unfortunately I'm getting too busy to keep fishing and showing but have had a great time doing so.

Depending on my health and other factors, I would like to do so in the future. But Jamie has learned enough from me and herself that she can show & tell in the future along with some others.

I would like to spend a day or two with someone like Pilar to pass on the experience of all the local reefs (or some of them). I don't know them all, but enough to have a good time and fill some freezers.

Dan

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
nice story and pics DepoeDan. I know Steelhead22. He says he's gotten a lot of great information from you. It's really neat that someone who's knows an area so well will share it so freely.You da man Depoe, I mean you da Fisherman DeopeDan

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Nice report and pics... love those pics!
Keep it up :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh come on AuntyM.

Come on down and catch you a "pacific snapper"!

[ 06-24-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Thanks for the Delete of my post, Pete, it was not appropriate...you beat me to it.

TR

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hmmm. I was there Monday evening, and didn't get a bite, not at Boiler Bay, and not at Depoe Bay. Oh, well. You win some, you lose some.

happybrew

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Dan,

Rumor has it that you are a good fisherman and very nice person. This post reinforces that. Just thought I would pass along what some I Fishers are saying about you. Next time i'm in the area I would like to look you up and say my howdees :cheers:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Oh come on AuntyM.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I have more opportunities than I know what to do with already. Recently found a good spot for Copper Rockfish. :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dan, thanks for showing me the ropes (and the fishing spots) for rockfishing around Depoe Bay on Sunday. It was a pleasure to meet you and Lingslayer.
FYI, I went back this morning to the spot where I caught the rockfish on Sunday and landed another small rockfish and a keeper ling. Couldn't have done it without your guidance!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
RL,

In not there some good rock fishing spots right in Seal Rock?

My family loves that part of the coast. Annually we stay at Huckleberry Hill for the 4th of July.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've caught perch and greenling fishing off the rocks below the wayside on the south end of Seal Rock, but haven't found a place that provides access to very deep water. I do plan to do a little more exploring this week to see if I can locate a place where I might catch some rockfish or ling.
If you know of a place, I'd love to hear about it. FYI, I can see Huckleberry Hill from my house, and live just around the corner.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh come on AuntyM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have more opportunities than I know what to do with already. Recently found a good spot for Copper Rockfish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I see you are from Shelton wherever that is. Do you fish the sound or go to a place like Neah Bay?

I sell tackle to a wholesaler up in the Seattle area and he told me a couple years ago that they reduced the rockfish limit in the sound to one a day. Does that still hold true?

Dan

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Dan,

Yeah, it's been reduced down to one. It's a shame what the commercials have done in the Sound in the past.

We fish in Hood Canal and South Puget Sound and the Straights when we aren't chasing steelhead and sturgeon.

We fish for Ling cod and Rockfish while we are waiting to pull our shrimp pots during the 4 day Hood Canal shrimp season.

Would you believe our WDFW Commission recently set a quota for Puget Sound shrimp at 85% for commercials and 15% for recreational shrimping? We had areas that closed after less than a week of recreational shrimping. :mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts