IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate Release Thursday, September 11, 2003

Public input sought on draft ODFW-DEQ agreement - Agreement governs fish carcass placement

SALEM - The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife currently is seeking public comment on the annual agreement with the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality to allow hatchery-bred salmon and steelhead carcasses to be placed into appropriate streams for nutrient enrichment. The agreement covers work to be completed through April 2004.

Research has shown fish carcass placement can be a component of fish resource management by replacing some of the marine-derived nutrients historically available to aquatic ecosystems from decaying carcasses. Carcasses are collected at fish hatcheries and placed out into spawning streams by volunteers, civic groups, agencies and other organizations. The activity is an action item of the Oregon Plan for Salmon and Watersheds.

A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) is developed annually between ODFW and DEQ outlining where and when carcasses will be placed. The draft MOA can be viewed at www.dfw.state.or.us. Hard copies can be printed at local ODFW field offices.

Written comments should be received at ODFW by 5 pm, Sept. 26. Comments and requests for further information may be sent to Dan Van Dyk e , 3406 Cherry Ave, Salem, OR 97303, or emailed to: [email protected].

[ 09-11-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Thanks Pete…

I have been checking out the new MOA between DEQ and ODFW.
I am absolutely impressed! :shocked:

Mr. Baumgartner at DEQ was true to his word and moved away from the TMDL limitations to the when and where water quality limitation that will allow many more streams to have carcass placement. Even the YAMHILL will be allowed carcass placement!!! :shocked: Wow, what a change. The limit is now 2500 lbs of carcasses per mile up from 1500 lbs it was. That too is a big change.

The memo is at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/InfoCntrFish/PDFs/carcassmoa.pdf
it has a lot of neat stuff including historical runs of salmon... :wink:

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Good stuff ***.

Pete,

since I am not a Bio, and a Bio probably understands where they should be placed. Why do they want my opinion?

I could tell folks how to fly a plane, or do brain surgery too. But it would be of little help.

Please enlighten me.

I can help toss the dead frozen fish in the creek if that helps.

Mark and the dog.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark,
Many people who are not "biologists" have valuable perspectives or local knowledge that can affect the quality or effectiveness of a program like this. Since it's a government program, wouldn't it be a little strange not to allow the public to have input? I think it's all wrapped up in the concept of "accountability" - when our government agencies do things on behalf of us, we have a right to know what they are doing, how they are doing it and to make sure they do a good job of it. Input could range from merely supporting the concept of a carcass toss to asking what monitoring and controls are in place to make sure disease isn't spread through the river, or to ask what monitoring is in place to ensure the effectiveness of the carcass placement in achieving the goal of higher stream productivity. Lots of room for public input.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Thanks for the great answer.

It is good to learn new things.

Thank You.

Mark and the dog.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Last time I checked ODF&W was refusing to allow carcas planting on the Sandy's most productive spawning trib. The Salmon River. Anyone know different ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts