IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this from Norm Ritchie, president of ANWS

For years our elected officials have cut funding for ODFW & hatcheries and cut them again. For years anglers have stepped up to the plate and made up much of the difference. We had just acknowledged the incredible need for hatchery funding by stepping up to a sport fishing license fee increase earlier this year as part of the department's budget.

The governor has given a slap in the face to equity, to fairness, to the sport angling community and to us by releasing a budget proposal that essentially eliminates general fund support for all hatcheries. The governor expects us to accept a fee increase twice what we agreed to in order to back fill his extraction of $5,000,000 from ODFW's budget.

We must fight this unjust budget in the legislature. It has been said "The governor proposes and the legislature disposes." Please help make sure the governor's budget is properly disposed! Please get as many sport anglers as you can to the legislature next Thursday, April 24th.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
What is the best method of attack on this one? I'll try my damndest to be there.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Does anyone know the cost of moving ODFW headquarters to Salem? Maybe if we left the Headquarters in Portland we would have the money to fund the hatcheries? Just a guess.

Rauly

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Please help me understand something. Under the column that says "Description of Adjustment" for the $5 million reduction on the Governors Revised Budget Issues document it says "Use fee revenue from addition fee increase to fund Hatchery Program". Doesn't that mean that he's expecting that the license increase is going to go through, which means that the $5 million expected from the license increase will take it back up to previous levels, thereby saving the hatcheries?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Geek: But he took an another five million seven hundred thousand out of the ODFW budget. Now let's all show up in Salem Thrus. with our boats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts