IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is it. We all need to make one more trip to Salem and fill 4 hearing rooms. April 24th 1PM, that is on a Thursday. We all need to be there if we want to continue to have hatchery fish to catch. We know that those that do not want to have hatcheris will be there. They have been working behind the scenes with their half truths. This is to allow ODFW to raise fees $5.00 across the board. I know that after the last big meeting in Salem I said we would not have to go again, well I was wrong. So many of the Legislatures have signed cards saying no more taxes, so they do not want to raise fees because they think it will be looked on as a tax. We need to let then know loud and clear that we are asking then to raise our fees. If they do that they will be heros, and we will all vote for then next time. Please write then one more time. Also write the Gov. And please try to be in Salem on April 24th.Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jerry,

Do you have the room number and all that:

I'm assuming the following similar to the last time. I'll be there.

Salem
Capitol Building
April 24
1PM
Hearing Room No. ?

On the hatchery/native thing, I don't remember any of the no-hatchery folks speaking at the last hearing.

I did think it was distracting for those in favor of the fee increase to go into side rants on the hatchery/native issue.

It sounded defensive since no had spoken against the fee or hatcheries. It raised a question the legislator's minds that was not there.

Best to let that dog lie and focus on all the good things the fee is going to do for Oregon.

Brion

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Very good point Brion. This isn't just about hatcheries. Some of the money from this will go to habitat improvement. After all it raises fees on hunting lisences and tags also. This is good for Oregon and it's wildlife.

I'll be there. Can't wait to see the esteemed gentleperson from McMinnville again. :hoboy:

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points guys and well taken. Do not know the room number but no problem just follow the crowd. thanks Jerry

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sure do hope that the lack of replys on the ODFW budget hearing does not mean that no body is going to show up. Folks we need a lot of folks there. This comes right from Lindsey Ball Director ODFW. Please make me feel good and let me know you are going to show up. I know it is hard to make meetings in the middle of the week. I promise I will not ask you to do this again. If this fee increase fails and we lose our fish hatcheries I will give up. I'm am tired of fighting this battle. SALEM, APRIL 24TH 1PM HEARING ROOM D.Thank you so very much. Jerry

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
Come on guys......... I hear so much complaining on hear... Here is your chance to be heard.....

GO REPRESENT YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stand alot to loose by not going!!!!

:shrug:

·
Registered
140 Posts
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THIS. THE FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING IS AT STAKE!!!

The future of the state hatchery system is in the ways & means committee. H.B. 2260 was passed on without a "do pass" designation, which is very distressing since we as anglers spoke strongly that we were willing to pay to keep the general fund hatcheries operating.

H.B. 3249 (written by Oregon Anglers, and joined by the Steelheaders,NSIA, & Tillamook Anglers) did receive a "do pass" referral to ways & means. It dedicates $30 million of lottery proceeds for the much needed hatchery repairs and modernization (2260 only would cover operating costs- no repairs).

We thought 2260 was a shoo-in, and 3249 a very long shot. Never bet on the legislature!! 2260 is having a rough time, because several influential people down there see it as a tax increase (reinforced by some groups trying to shut down the hatcheries). 3249 has a good chance of getting $$, especially if the members of the ways & means committee get feedback from anglers.

Here is a list of the members that could use some contact from us:

Rep. Randy Miller (co-chair) 503-986-1437
[email protected]
Sen.Kurt Schrader (co-chair) 503-986-1720
[email protected]
Sen. Richard Devlin 503-986-1719
[email protected]
Sen. Steve Harper 503-986-1728
[email protected]
Sen. Margaret Carter 503-986-1722
[email protected]
Sen. Gary George 503-986-1712
[email protected]
Sen. Avel Gordly 503-986-1723
[email protected]
Sen. Frank Morris 503-986-1708
[email protected]
Sen. Jackie Winters 503-986-1710
[email protected]
Rep. Alan Bates 503-986-1405
[email protected]
Rep.Gary Hansen 503-986-1444
[email protected]
Rep. Susan Morgan 503-986-1402
[email protected]

Denny Richey of Oregon Anglers sent this to us today. I figured he wouldn't mind me passing it along. Just marked the 24th on my calendar.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brine. We need to get emails to those folks. Better yet we need all 4060 ifish member there! ----Jen can we get you to push this a little,please. Jerry

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I took the night off so I could attend. Last time I ended up a zombie at work.

Call to arms boy's and girl's. Lets show them were still behind this.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pilar's mate,

Doh!!

Guess I should put this here to do what I suggest <chagrin>.

Just a suggestion...using the old military dictum of concentrating our forces...we've got three separate message threads going on this.

I'd suggest concentating on just one, probably Jerry Dove's since he did such a good job organizing the last assault on Salem and the topic he used is the most specific.

Should we focus on keeping Jerry's thread on the top and use that as our point?

Brion

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Jerry, can you clarify what bill the hearing is for on April 24?

HB2260 raises the fees. HB5020 is the ODFW budget appropriation. I don't see either of those scheduled.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lost sailor. Lindsey Ball Director of ODFW said they were on for April 24th 1PM, I think he should know.He is in Salem almost every day. Trust me, be there. Jerry

·
Registered
438 Posts
LS and Jerry, I think I heard ODFW is presenting their budget to ways and means subcommittee from 21st to 24th and starting at 1 on the 24th, the ways and means sub will be hearing testimony from the public about any and all parts of ODFW's budget. So, all the likes and dislikes and where you want the $ to be spent, whatever you want to testify about regarding their budget. (in total or just the fee increase)

There certainly could be another hearing about just the fee increase going on at the same time and I'm confusing the two. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is my understanding, that at 1PM the HB2260 will be the subject. That is the fee bill. When they see us fill 3or4 hearing rooms they will know what we are there for, trust me. As I said the other day if we had all 4060 ifishers there, well do I need to say more. I guess you know that the Portland rivers that have Springers, will be closed for fishing that day. :wink: --? Jerry

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Lindsey of course has the insider information. All I know is the public info. Not sure I can take any more time off work - someone take my place!

Maybe I can make an appearance and sign in at least - "stand and be counted."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts