IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wed. July 23rd Oregon State Senate Approved The ODFW Budget, 25 to 2. Also includes the fee increase. Now goes to Gov. and he says he will sign. Good news!! Again thanks to all that helped. Now lets all go catch some of those great hatchery fish. Jerry

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
:dance:

And a big thanks to you Jerry for all that you have done.

It's comforting to know we have compitent people such as yourself watching our backs.

Thanks again for all your hard work

JK

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Jerry, does this bill include anything for a shellfish tag? I know it was talked about earlier or is this a seperate bill? Would a shellfish tag become part of the sports pac? I started another thread on this subject the same time you posted yours. By the way, thanks for your hard work on this bill!

·
Registered
600 Posts
hello, does the increase mean that nothing will be cut that is currently in place. will we as fishermen gain anything (such as more hatcherys)?

thax,
cb :tongue:

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It means that all hatcheries are saved, as well as state game wardens, and ODFW Bio's. The Shell fish Lic. is another bill, and it looks like it should go also. I just can't thank everyone enough that helped get this all done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
jerry;
you forgot the one of most important person in the passage of this budget and that is "good girl" jenny,
if you remember she is the one that alerted the troops!!!!!when this all started.
talking to some of the lobbiest they tell me i fish is the biggest sourse of imformation in the industry,

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
This was excellent news. So nice to know the sacrifices we made to enable our trips to the capitol were not made in vain.

Thanks to my Brothers and Sisters who put forth the effort.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by hustlerrjim:
jerry;
you forgot the one of most important person in the passage of this budget and that is "good girl" jenny,
if you remember she is the one that alerted the troops!!!!!when this all started.
talking to some of the lobbiest they tell me i fish is the biggest sourse of imformation in the industry,
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Great point Jim.

While in the Capital last week I was suprised to learn how many people follow this board and use it as a guide to what the sportfishers are thinking and doing.

Jen provides a service thats value is, unfortunately, taked for granted by too many of us.

Here is to Jen and the rest that are "doing what you can do"! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jim I never forgot Jen, how could I. We all know that if was not for ifish, we never could get the word out. Belive me I kknow for a fact that ODFW watches ifish very close. We also have gotten many Leg. in Salem watching it also. Belive me this was a GROUP effort. As I said before a big THANK YOU to all that helped. I do belive that Salem now knkow not to mess with ifishers. Jerry

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Jennie and Jerry --- You folks are winners! Thank you so much for all that you have done for the future of fishing. Our grandkids will enjoy the rewards that you earned for them with all of your hard work. Thank you.

G

·
Thanks Jerry for all your hard work! Now hopefully we can get those hatcheries to run the way they should.
A big thanks go to Jennie for letting ifish be a very important place to get info about upcoming ODFW happenings.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The hatcheries are saved until next year rolls around and there are even MORE short falls.. in which they decide to re-route the money that was raised for the increased tags ect....

It's a coming. And it's gonna happen.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
etacada asked - "hello, does the increase mean that nothing will be cut that is currently in place."

It is my understanding that in the current budget the already downsized ODFW Habitat Division has been eliminated. Big loss.

Additionally, the legislators are trying to backfill ODFW budget cuts by 'backfilling' with money taken from the voter approved Measure 66 Salmon Restoration Funds. If they succeed in grabbing these monies, it will be a real set-back for salmon restoration, and I suspect the general public is going to be pretty outraged as well.

Half an ODFW is better than none, but I'm not seeing anything to celebrate about.

·
Registered
400 Posts
now you can see the legislators do listen,
and read.i fish
for a lot of you this was a first timer, but i hope you got to see how hard these legs work for us and the intrest they show in our problems;
to me- and the legs it was quite a surprise to see the place packed, it goes to show what can be done when we go as an organized group.
i say thanks to one and all esp. to 'atta girl jen' and 'atta boy jerry' that is the usual thanks one gets.
by the way did anybody invite any of the legs fishing???????????????? this is a way to show our appreation for their efforts and they apprecate this even if they cant go.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I am going to be curious of they pick pocket the sportsmen again and again in the future since they see how much money it raised. If you don't recall, it was the sportsmen who voluntarily said we'd each give 10 bucks or so to go directly to saving hatcheries. So lets see, here it's going up a whole lot more now. Thanks all in the Senate, glad you interperated that one. Not. How high are those fees going again?? And how much of that is going to the general pool? They figured out how to keep the jobs and hatcheries and increase the general fund at the same time and put it in stride. I don't ever recall those numbers being shown until it was passed.

In all I'd be curious to see how much of that actually goes to the places that the funds intend it to. Call me pessimistic, but in a few years when they cry wolf again and threaten to close hatcheries the public will raise their arms and dig a little deeper into their pockets. We asked for 10 bucks to go directly to where it needed to be and that wasn't used, but we opened a can of worms when we said we can pay more instead of them learning how to trim a little fat off thier spending. I guess a few years will tell the tale but I'm already really happy about spending more money on expensive tags.

tc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts