IFish Fishing Forum banner

Odell report?

736 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  baytroller 
#1 ·
Anybody fish Crescent or Odell lakes this weekend?

#3 ·
Never fished Odell or Crescent. Is the fishing any good around the 4th of July? Looking for a place to take the wife for a long weekend. Any other recommendations?

#4 ·
We just got back from Odell. Fishing was pretty good while you could fish. Wind kicked up pretty early in the morning and made it a little rough. Most fish were caught at about 75 feet with down- riggers. Nice size to them. Full moon put the bite off a bit. should only get better as we get some dark skies at night. Good luck over there.

#5 ·
No Wishing, might be there also in a N. River white. Hoping to put it togather for Sat and Sunday. Will put a small American Flag on the boat. Might have to attach it to the stern light mast. Yeah, that is what I will do. Watch for me and I'll do the same.

You just gotta love those Odell Kokes.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

#6 ·
Snapshot. It will be hard to see your flag on Odell as I will be on Crescent :dance: I have never fished Odell, but for about 43 years I have been yarding big Kokes out of Crescent(avg about 17-18") I have some special color Fenders that haven't even been made for 15 years that always seem to attract the fish. Also with a LURE DEPTH FINDER, that a friend and I developed in the early 80's, it is easy to put your bail right in the midst of the schools. Anyway, happy fishing and if you are on Crescent I will look for your flag.

#7 ·
No Wishing, if we make the trip we can sacrafice part of a day to come over to Crescent as I have heard the Kokes are larger there. I may have to raise the flag higher if I stay on Odell.

Are you using down riggers? I don't have them mounted yet and don't want to drill new holes in the boat. We troll till we catch fish and then cast and jig a lot. It works very well. How deep do you fish over there? Will the wedding rings and corn work there too?

I like going to new places so may just come over to visit for a while. Maybe when the wind picks up at Odell.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

#8 ·
I fished Odell on Friday (6/13) morning. Got there at 6:30, didn't get a fish until after noon. Started out at Princess Creek, no bites then the wind started in a about 7:30 and it got to be a pain. So I ran down to the West Bay with everyone else, and that is where the fish turned out to be. Not big on biting, though, I tried f.fender, dodger, flies, Nordic jiggin and back to f.fender, finally got bit, ended up with 2 tasty fish before the bite died off again. Most boats were getting a few.

A bit windy - how unusual!

#9 ·
The wife and I are going over for the 4th of July weekend. We were planning on leaving PDX about noon on Thursday (July 3rd). The campgrounds at Odell do not take reservations. Do you think we will have a problem getting a tent site? Or should we leave early Thursday morning?

#10 ·
Leave the earlier the better. Will prob fill up on Thursday. Snapshot, we are using old pink and onyx ford fenders, retying the wedding rings with a 24" leader and #6 Gamatsu and then we are fishing where we find the schools usually about 65-70 feet down this time of year. Without downriggers it takes about 50z and 150 pulls to do this. I will bring some extra LURE DEPTH FINDERS so you will know how deep you are. No Charge

[ 06-16-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: No Wishin Just Fishin ]

#12 ·
Fished at Odell last week. It waw my first trip there. Great place to spend a few days! When we arrived Monday afternoon the wind was blowing hard and had reportedly been doing so since early am. We went out late Monday night for about 45 minutes. Tuesday was very windy also but fished early and again late in the evening. We caught fish every time out but on Wednesday we went out in the am and then again in the afternoon while it was blowing pretty good. We had our best fishing that afternoon. Not many boats still out at that time. We were fishing wedding rings tipped with white corn off the cobb and soaked in anise. Standard trolling flashers with 2 oz banana sinker ahead of and 1 oz ball sinker off the troll rudder and putting out between 40 and 60 pulls. Here's a few of the fish we got on Wednesday. They were very healthy kokes that went to 14 inches.

I will definitely go again next year and probably also try Crescent lake since it is so close. I wanted to stay and learn Odell somewhat on this first trip. Good Luck!
Baytroller

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.