IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Odell Lake tuesday evening and wednesday. Overall I'd say fishing is fair to good for kokanee running about 50% 11 inchers and 50% 15-16 inchers. Some of the nicest large kokes I've ever seen in Odell. The water has a slight algae bloom...was calm in the morning soon becoming choppy...most boats were trolling. The fish were at 40-45' and I caught them on a silver-bladed weddingring spinner with a #6 Gamakatsu & corn. I lost about 5 fish for every one boated but caught enough for a few fresh kokanee dinners. Another boat had 18 fish for 7 hrs with two rods on downriggers...using a 5-blade gang troll with a homemade "weddingring" with oversize plastic faceted beads and a large #4 hook...about twice the size overall of a factory weddingring lure...and a piece of white corn on the bend of the hook. They also lost quite a few.

Here's a photo of one of the larger size-class Odell kokanee. Note the mackinaw (I guess?) scratches on its flank.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the boats were trolling but there were a few boats jigging up in the west end...and most of the boats trolling were in the west half of the lake, too. The east end is more exposed to the wind and has bigger wind waves...

·
Registered
771 Posts
GutshotApe, thanks for the reply on the boats that were jigging on your trip. I get a lot of Kokanee with those marks, I also think they are from Macks. On one trip I had a Kokanee on and a Mack grabed it, had a battle for a while then the Mack let go and I got the Kok.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am going to spend a week in the Bend / Sunriver area fishing and Odel is one of them. Its nice to know there fishing is still good.
st

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
That fish looks to be in very good shape. The fish I have caught out of Paulina and Wickiup the past two weeks both show prespawn signs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fished Crescent Lake Sunday, and caught my first fish starting in to pre-spawn. Fish were still in great shape, but won't last much more then a couple more weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts