IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm back from the Odell weekend. As usual, Odell was very welcoming. We'll be back again next year. As for the fishing, we had been hearing it was slow so we opted for Crescent lake instead. Glad we did. Never fished it before but it's not tough to get dialed in. Sat. it was casting to schooled kokes on the surface with a #25 orange nordic, so much fun. Trolling mid day with downriggers with flashers and any kind of koke overing, vary the speed, really draws the hit. Sunday we went to straight trolling with 2 0z.
of weight, a snubber, flashers and wedding rings and spin-n-glo hot pink with mylar wings. Hot depth was 56' on the line counter (shakespeare, $10 at fishermans) or 25 pulls on the other rods. I'm guessing we were about 34' feet, marked fish there. Limits were not a problem, and my very pregant wife landed fish, netted fish, and steered the boat like a pro. So proud of her! The most fun was just seeing her catch fish!!!All fish but one were big fat
14-15" fish. Monday they had moved from the traditional spot and we found them in the middle of the lake at 85' on the line counter and 40 pulls. They love that pink spin-n-glo. Soak the corn in anise oil over night, they kill it.
I also tie in a bigger gammi red single hook on the wedding ring spinners, a double hook on others and had a better landing ratio. The darn things are usually land one for every 2-3 hooked.
The key was to find the magic depth and vary trolling speed, stay slow, zig zag now and then. reel them in nice and easy, no hook set!
Good to meet Novice from Ifish at odell, hope you got into some fish later in the weekend, heard it picked up a bit.
Over all, a great weekend and a freezer full of really delicious little salmon when I got home.
Go get em!
GBS

[ 05-27-2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Good Job GBS,

I fished Odell Sunday with a friend. Two of us took 23 home and thru back about 10 small one. The bigger fish were all 12" and fat. We took most surface jigging When it got windy we wind trolled corn and worm behind cowbells. We caught a few but missed more than I would like to say. I think the wind made it difficult.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
GBS
We should have taken your advice. If it picked up, it wasn't at our end of the Lake. Sorry I didn't have longer time to talk. On a positive note...my 4 yr old daughter caught two back to back on the snoopy rod. 4 years old and already outfishing dad!!! Nice to meet you and thanks for the shared info.
novice

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Novice,
sorry to hear it did'nt pick up there. I talked to a few folks who had 115 or so, not great for odell but better than the previous reports. I have a love affair with odell, but will be checking out crescent again next time, I like how it's smaller so it seems easier to locate the schools of kokes. That's so great that your daughter was a little superstar out there. She was a cutie, you must be a very proud dad.
Take care,
Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts