IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be fishing it the weekend before and will report back! Haven't learned to jig yet, I'm a troller by nature. :smile:

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
The past two Memorial weekends were spent at Odell. This year I will be making a day trip or two. Jigging can be amazingly productive. Both years we have taken our limits for threes days. I would like to meet up with a few Ifishers if possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stay at Odell the entire time--it's well worth it.
Orange Nordic #25 --you can get them at the store there--or GIJoes if they're not out.
I buy them any time I see them to stock up for Odell. Cast where they jump--then give it a couple tugs...and bam!!!!!!
Kokes are territorial by nature--and attack the #25s that are in their space--not to eat them but to get them out. Sometimes they'll just bump the jig--so be patient; you'll know when he's on.
And have a net--just in case he's 16-18"--they can be tricky to flip in. Have fun. Get off the water around 4pm--high winds and 3-5' swells; it's like the ocean out there.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
LS, jigging can be amazing when done right. I went out last year and was fishing by myslef in my 16 foot starcraft. most guys were anchored up jigging with nordics and buzz bombs. I fired up the kicker and just worked it to stay vertical above the schools. As soon as I got the jig to the bottom, cranked up 4 cranks, jig, jig, fish on
! Caught my limit of 25 in a little more 2 hours It was tricky working the motor, reeling fish, and trying to net. I ended up hauling them over the gunnels. Lost some but it was some of the craziest action I've had jigging there. wish the wife had come out with me, I'll get her out there this year.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
GBS,

Like Sunrunner said, surface jig at schools of jumping fish. That way no worries about an anchor or staying on top of fish down deep. One evening last year 3 of us in 1.5 hours caught 53 fish!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always meant to try it, but usually too busy pulling in fish. :dance:

I am going to try some different techniques this year. Remember the "Kokanee on a fly" thread ...

·
Banned
51 Posts
I prefer the peace and quiet of jig fishin over the chug chug chug of a motor and breathing gas fumes. Besides, pullin up an 18 incher with 3 lbs of trollin gear in front of it kinda takes away from the FEEL of it.

Im tellin ya....Hexagon Hooker over Nordic. I have both kinds...tried both.... them Kokes HATE the orange Hooker with a piece of corn on it. Try jiggin both where you can see them and see the difference. I let my guests fish with my Nordics just so I can be ashured of catchin more fish... Im stingy that way. Actually, im just more confident with the Hexagon, both catch fish

I like to drift jig if the wind aint too bad.

Ill be on the lake that weekend..playin bumper boats with the rest of em. Might have to sleep in my boat cause campsites there go FAST

[ 05-01-2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Toyn ]

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I just rented a cabin on the lake for fri-sun. night. Plan on doing the jigging thing one or two of those days and hit one of the cascade lakes another day. Will any of you ifishers be there then. We should hook up and compare notes. Hoping for some decent weather, but that wind will likely be blowing up the white caps.
See ya there!
GBS

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Thanks for the tip Toyn. I'll give them a shot.
I'll look for you out there. I've got a beige 16 starcraft open bow with a brown accent stripe at the gunnel with a 70hp johnson. I've got an ifish sticker on the windshield. Just look for a guy in a boat with a very pregnant blonde. That will be me. If you see me, come on over and say hi.
Hope we all nail those little chromers!

[ 05-02-2003, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I would like to hear your results when you get back. I have a cabin booked at Odell the second week of July. We went there last year for the first time. It was a learning experience but we did manage to get quite a few kokanee and my 11 year old got a 20lb mack. Looking to do better this time.

Pearl

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I want a report when you get back. Especially on the macks. I have'nt really put time into that fishery at all and would like to get my wife into one of those beasts.
good luck over there,
GBS

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
The hexagon hooker is a wide angular looking jig. They sell them at the Odell Sportmans store. It is the store kitty corner to the road that leads to Crescent lake.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Fished Odell yesterday...trolled on top, at 30' and 70' from about 10am to 2:30pm without a bite. No fish on surface despite nice chop & partly cloudy skies. Jiggers weren't getting 'em either. Should have been good...water temp must still be very cold. :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I will be at Odell the 13th-16th. It's time for the annual "Boys Only Trip" !!!

I will post results when we return. Good luck to all!

SD

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello all,

I'll be at Odell Lake from this Sunday through the following Sunday. My experience has been that it takes a day or two to really get on the fish. Then it's limit-city early and Mac and trout fishing for the remainder of the day. I've stayed there every year for many years now, so it's become a tradition for my fishing partners and me. We rent whatever we need from either end of the lake, depending on how many boats we bring. The best part is the friendships that are made, the competition and most of all, the grand outdoors that Odell Lake has always mustered up for us. Over the years, we've fished in every type of weather condition you can imagine. The whiteout was something else. Couldn't even see the boat 20 feet away from you. Have seen bald eagles take fish away from hawks and osprey mid air there. It is usually very cold there this time of year. However the beauty makes up for it.
I'll give you all a report on my return.

It killed me not to go Springer fishing today, bit I'm making meals and packing my boat.

Happy fishing to you all

Yes I Am

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Will be just up the road at Crescent Lake that same weekend. The Kokes are almost twice as big as Odell(18-24) although you can only keep 5 per day. They are like jack salmon they are so nice. Look for the Hewescraft with the 2 yellow labs.(They catch their 5 a piece also) :dance:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts