IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Odell for the first time next Wed.Going to be doing the tent thing with the wife.Which are the better camp grounds?Best access to boat ramps?etc
thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Take plenty of mosquitoe repellent. They are real bad this time of year almost any place in the mountains, specially near a lake and water, and melting snow.

Or camp in a windy place so it will help blow them away.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
there is a nice campground on the east end of the lake, next to odell creek, and Odell lake lodge. Its first come first serve, so get there as soon as possible to reserve your spot. It's nice cuz you have access to the boat ramp, dinner at the lodge, a fish cleaning station. That end gets some wind so it should help minimize the skeeters too. Talk to Joe in the lodge, they have a small tackle shop and he'll hook you up. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The wife and I are heading up that way for our first trip also. We are going to Crescent Lake. We won't be getting out of PDX until about 11 am on Thursday. Should be up at Crescent by around 2:30. Will we have trouble finding a tent site? I have considered hauling the boat up and getting a spot on Wednesday night, the driving back and pick up the wife on Thursday. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input GBS.Hopefully the Kokanee will be co-operating.If any I-fishers are out there I have a 17' Grumman V hull with a custom windshield.
Jeff

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
might work out for you if you are there around 2:30. I've done ok at that time, but on occasion it's full too. It is the 4th weekend, one of the busiest camping weekends of the year. There is also camping on the west in at shelter cove. Crescent also has a camp site, and the koke fishing is good out in front of the campground. Troll at about 42-55 feet I'd say. Watch thos campfires, it's so damn dry out there. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
There is also the campground just before Shelter cove at Trapper creek. It is a forest service campground and out of the wind most of the time. There are two small ones along HWY 58, Princess Creek and Sunset Cove, but they always seem full and besides they are right next to the road.

Here is a list of campgrounds .

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Were leaving on the 7th for a weeks stay. PVARTHUR ( and family )an official lurker of late will be joining our clan as well. We'll be at Shelter Cove Resort. If you see a blue or a white Northriver thats us. Stop and say hi. Both boats will be flying ifish colors.

Below is my son and a Mack he got on last years trip.

If anyone gets back Sunday leave a fishing report. It's been a little sporadic over there this year and any onfo would be apreciated.

Pearl

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I'm guessing 18 to 20 lbs. We were rookies last year. This one hit on cow bells with a K16 Kwik fish and two large night crawlers attached to the rear hooks.

Rumor has it there are some big fish on the Odell bottom. Were going to spend a couple of days targeting them and a couple days chasing Kokes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Labsforme,

I went to Odell last Wednesday in hope of getting a camp site at Trapper Creek, (the best campground on the lake), it was full when I got there at about 5:00pm. I stayed at Shelter Cove Resort, got up the next morning and cruised the campground, scouting out the tags on the campsite posts looking for people who were leaving that day. I found one I liked and waited there until they left, and it was mine. Trapper Creek Campground is usually full this time of year but if you get there in the morning and do what I did you can get a spot. Another problem there right now the creek restoration going on that has closed about half a dozen campsites along the creek. They will reopen in a couple more weeks.

FYI, I have had my boat moored at Shelter Cove since the first of June. The fishing there for Kokanee has been hit and miss. Most of the fish are good size 12 to 14 inches and very fat and tastey. Best fishing the last few weeks has been very late in the evening, trolling. I mean like from 8:30 until dark or about 9:30, just pushing the legal limit.

[ 07-04-2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: gofishoregon ]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Labsforme,

Forgot to mention, Princess Creek campground which is down and across from Shelter Cove along HWY 58 has been pretty empty most of the summer. There is no available water and they have lowered the price to camp by a few bucks, but is has had open sites so far all season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts