IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, my apologies if this has been covered already, the search engine on this site has me baffled, "most recent" is anything but the info I'm looking for. So I'm just going to start a thread and hope not to get too flamed.
I hear about a lot of coho out of Astoria, but I'd rather go out of Garibaldi, closer to home. My question is: will I do just as well out of Garibaldi as Astoria? Thanks

edit: I'll move this to Salty Dogs if need be

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Coho are being caught out of all the ports right now, if Garibaldi is your preferred port then you may as well fish there. There are ongoing report threads for Newport-Depoe, Garibaldi, and CR on the Salty Dogs page that may help in your decision making.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here's a suggestion: Launch at Astoria, troll south to Garibaldi. Have someone drive your rig to Garibaldi for take out. You should be able to cover the best water for coho.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday out of Garibaldi we put 11 coho, 6 lings and over 50 crab in the box, but it's good everywhere right now so hurry up and launch at your favorite port and get'em!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday out of Garibaldi we put 11 coho, 6 lings and over 50 crab in the box, but it's good everywhere right now so hurry up and launch at your favorite port and get'em!
This will be my first time out for ocean salmon. Don't get me wrong, I've done plenty of tuna trips and hopefully more this year, so venturing out is not an issue. I'm just wondering how far out I'm expecting to go for salmon. From the sounds of it, I'll be looking for same signs for salmon i.e. birds etc. Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
This will be my first time out for ocean salmon. Don't get me wrong, I've done plenty of tuna trips and hopefully more this year, so venturing out is not an issue. I'm just wondering how far out I'm expecting to go for salmon. From the sounds of it, I'll be looking for same signs for salmon i.e. birds etc. Thanks
Follow the crowd out somewhere between 185 - 205' off of twin rocks. If they're not being caught there, look West. We ran out to between 6 and 7 miles last weekend to find the bite. Birds are helpful markers, but nets and/or guide sleds are a much better indicator of a bite.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
As mentioned above 185' - 205' feet of water seems to be where the best pods have been recently. With that said, don't be afraid to stop and fish a nice rip, foam line, color break, patch of birds, etc. if you see something that looks fishy on your way out. Additionally, I tend to find some of my best coho action in 54-56 degree water so try to locate water at that temp range as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
We found a good bite in 250' off Nehalem Bay Monday

1 - 10 of 10 Posts